Author Topic: Different Color Blades/Beads  (Read 9594 times)

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Different Color Blades/Beads
« on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:01 PM »
The last few years I have used red beads and silver colorado blades on fluro with a red or black treble.  I am wondering if anyone has had particular luck with different color beads or blades for pike.  I have seen glow blades online, as well as many other colors on different websites.  Has anyone experimented with a multitude of different color set ups and find that pike like one more than the other? 

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Different Color Blades/Beads
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I'm interested to see what people say about this. I started experimenting with blades last winter so I don't have much experience with using them, but I did notice a few things. I like using dead bait for pike and have caught all my 36"+ pike on dead bait, but last year I started putting out a jigging rod with a large shiner with a red bead and Colorado blade directly above the hook, and I probably caught more fish on that rod than my 4 tipups combined. The downside is most of the fish were pickerel and none of the pike were over 32". I'm actually more interested in experimenting with different blades for muskie. This year I'm planning on experimenting with different colors and materials. I think sound plays a part in attracting/triggering fish to bite and I'm hoping to pin down which blades produce the best flash and sound. Here is a rig I had some success with last year: 80lb pink yozuri floro, split shot with a willow leaf blade above the bait, a pair of #2 crimped gamakatsu octos and a 10" trout (which was just chewed up by a decent muskie)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Here's something that might be worth a look...

http://www.pikespearing.com/Pike_Killa_Lures.php
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I slide a red bead and a yellow bead on the leader before I tie on a swivel, and sometimes use a small egg sinker above the beads. It seems to help some, and I don't see how it hurts! Never tried a blade before, but just might give it a whirl this season.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2011, 10:07 PM »
A gentleman i used to do a fair amount of pike fishing with always predicted what tip-up flag would go up next , the one with the red bead and yellow blade he would say. Worked for him so i jumped on the band wagon. For whatever reason i've had good results.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Ct lets ya use trout for bait? Store bought? I find it amusing how different rules/regs are for different states. In MA , ya can use perch, but not in NH.
I use small blades , Indiana or colorados on my tip up rigs. I think they improve catch rates, by bringing in fish from a longer distance.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Unfortunately you can't use trout for bait in CT, but it's legal down here in Jersey and you can buy them from the hatchery for about $3 a pop.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Crazy rules, i would like to use trout but we can use perch if caught in the same water your fishing for pike.Jig em then bait em.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Michigan...you can use gills, perch, etc. for bait on the lake you caught them in, but you can't transport to another lake.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Yeah my typical set up has been a golden shiner on a treble (dead or alive) with three red beads topped off by a gold or chrome colored colorado blade... I will definately try yellow as well.  Cabelas has tons of different kinds of blades (different sizes, colors, etc).  For this year I think I am just going to buy a few random different colors and sizes and see which has the most success.  I think I am going to try the glow blades as well.  I wonder if the beads or the blades make more of an impact.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:29 AM »
huh...seems kind of wierd, I never thought of using beads/blades with ice fishing.....seems like more of a trolling/horizontal tactic.  You guys vertical jig those setups, or just let the bait pull the blade around on a dead stick?  I might have to try this....works good on softwater walleye
Tight lines

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2011, 01:54 PM »
huh...seems kind of wierd, I never thought of using beads/blades with ice fishing.....seems like more of a trolling/horizontal tactic.  You guys vertical jig those setups, or just let the bait pull the blade around on a dead stick?  I might have to try this....works good on softwater walleye

I use the blades on tip ups with both live and dead bait.  I have had better success with this than with just a bare hook.  I do not do any vertical jigging.  I have caught walleye on this rig even though pike are my target.  Definitely worth trying.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:35 PM »
so....you use blades and beads for deadstick, but NOT jigging?  Seems like a blade/bead would be much more effective on a moving bait?
you get walleye on dead stick/bait?
Tight lines

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:41 PM »
imo, trout make one of the BEST Muskie and Pike baits of all time for tipup fishing.  ;D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2011, 03:02 PM »
imo, trout make one of the BEST Muskie and Pike baits of all time for tipup fishing.  ;D

close...

Smelt (as in rainbow)

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2011, 03:05 PM »
close...
(Image removed from quote.)

Smelt (as in rainbow)
I like my bait in the 12-14 inch range. I don't think smelts get that big  ;D

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:50 PM »
so....you use blades and beads for deadstick, but NOT jigging?  Seems like a blade/bead would be much more effective on a moving bait?
you get walleye on dead stick/bait?

I don't do much jigging, and if I do its because the actions slow and I will target perch or crappie just to catch something.  I agree that it is more effective with moving bait, but the area I fish in has a small current (setback off a river) so that will provide a little action for the blade, not much, but a little.  I have had more success with live bait for walleye, but dead bait with beads and spinners has been decent for pike fishing. 

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2011, 02:21 PM »
     Skip ahead to 3:00 mins to see our setup.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Crazy rules, i would like to use trout but we can use perch if caught in the same water your fishing for pike.Jig em then bait em.
Probably a dumb question, never fished with tipups or used perch as bait; do you cut off the top fish that has spikes if you use it as bait?

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:15 AM »

Some places you have to add beads and blades to make a rig legal.     

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Probably a dumb question, never fished with tipups or used perch as bait; do you cut off the top fish that has spikes if you use it as bait?
I have never cut the dorsal fins off. I just hook them just like a rosie red.

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2011, 12:37 PM »
i use steel leaders.  6-9 inches.  would the beads/blades work that high up from the hook or do you need them right down basically touching the hook?

this is what i rigged up today 2 red beads, pretty big blade, 2 red beads steel leader with treble.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2011, 06:58 PM »
i would get rid of the wire and go to florocarbon leader. then the blade and beads will be by the bait.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:24 PM »
if you wanted to stick with the leaders, you can definately slide beads and blades over some leaders, i know they will fit over eagle claw leaders, i have done this in the past...

but i agree that fluro is the best option, or even mono if you do not want to spend the money

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2011, 01:23 PM »
you guys use flouro leaders for pike?! don't they get bit off?
Tight lines

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Mono is junk, I had a few bite offs with 80lb mono and will never use it again. Heavy floro or steel are the way to go. If you put the blade by the hook make sure it can't slide anywhere near the hookpoint. If the blade blocks the hookpoint when you set the hook you'll lose fish. Beads work for separating the hook and blade, or you can use a split shot to move the blade away from the bait.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:10 PM »
we use 20# floro.  had 2 bite-offs last year. Pete Maina uses 80-100# floro for casting for muskies.  i like it for its lack of visability under water.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I have been running half of my tipups with beads and/or blades and the other half just bare fluoro for 3 years and VT allows 15 lines/person so I've seen enough fish to notice some trends...  Red beads and small gold blades have yielded probably 50% more flags and fish, except in clear water where the plain leader works better.  My one tip is to put a heavier glass bead above the blade, this pushes down on it and lets it spin much better.  I've watched lively minnows under the ice and the blades spin and flash remarkably well. 

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:01 AM »
I have been running half of my tipups with beads and/or blades and the other half just bare fluoro for 3 years and VT allows 15 lines/person so I've seen enough fish to notice some trends...  Red beads and small gold blades have yielded probably 50% more flags and fish, except in clear water where the plain leader works better.  My one tip is to put a heavier glass bead above the blade, this pushes down on it and lets it spin much better.  I've watched lively minnows under the ice and the blades spin and flash remarkably well.

Thanks for the tip!... where I fish in southern VT, (connecticutt river setback) you are only allowed 6 lines per person... 15 must sure keep you busy!

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I started running perch/crappie rigs under my tip ups last year and my flags really started popping. They have blades on them and the best seemed to be the fire-tiger blades.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.