The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161477 times)

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #360 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I want to buy clam ice auger conversion kit and use it on my laser strike master 8 inches auger. I need some advice which cordless drill should i used to get efficiency drilling in ice 8 inches thick or sometimes even 18 to 20 inches.I would be gladly thankfull for god advice in this matter.

You cant go wrong with the new brushless makita pushing out over 1000 inch lbs of torque. I have the m18 Milwaukee fuel which pushes 725 inch lbs of torque fitted on my 6" lazer. Bigger the auger more torque would be better I'd say.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Finally got out today with my Milwaukee Fuel/clam plate/ 6" lazer.  WOW.  10" of ice, 5 seconds each hole.  Had a little trouble with the trigger sticking towards the end.  I have read about the thing catching at breakthrough and imagined that the drill just stalled.  NO SUCH THING.  It will pull you right down to your knees if you don't hold it back.  Drilled about 40 holes (estimate, I can't remember any counting anymore) and although I couldn't get the fuel gauge to work on the ice, I had two bars when I got home.  It was probably near 0 F when I started.

Took my LX-7.  Had kept the battery charged periodically since last spring.  Just turned it on and put the transducer in the hole.  Didn't have to change a thing since last year.  3' minimum depth to see my jig (open water mode).

Too bad the fish weren't cooperating.  Caught a few LMB and dink perch.  They were there but would not commit.  Lost my favorite tungsten jig on a set though, might have to reconsider the new 3# test.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:34 AM »
I used my Drill Plate yesterday,  I am 64 years old And I drilled 8 holes. It was awesome, Best thing I bought.  No more tired arms,  YES!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #363 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:04 PM »
went out today with my Milwaukee fuel drill and my homemade clam plate. First 6 holes were fine. But then when I got half way thru the ice my drill quit. I let off the trigger and then pushed it again and it took off. Next hole the same thing. Not sure what the deal was. It didn't over heat and the battery still had half life left.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #364 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:51 PM »
went out today with my Milwaukee fuel drill and my homemade clam plate. First 6 holes were fine. But then when I got half way thru the ice my drill quit. I let off the trigger and then pushed it again and it took off. Next hole the same thing. Not sure what the deal was. It didn't over heat and the battery still had half life left.

What setting did you have it on? Check to make sure the trigger is fully engaging on the drill.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #365 on: Jan 17, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Will check everything before my next trip out. But acted like a cutoff switch or something like that.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #366 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know that I put the Milwaukee/clam plate to work today. Estimated 14-18" of hard ice and lost track of how many holes I punched with my 6" lazer bit, it was a lot thats all I know lol. I left the ice with one bar left on the battery indicator with no fish in the bucket I decided to hit up another spot. I was able to drill 2 more holes on the first battery before she quit, with a quick swap of the battery I'm back at it punching holes(12) in search of fish. I fished until dark and a final check on the battery showed 3 bars before I packed it up. Moral of the story is that with 3 4amp batteries I'm confident enough to say that I will probably not use my Nils/tanaka gas auger again :o

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:10 AM »
Punching 21"+ ice with my Milwaukee M18 Fuel, clam plate, 7" lazer today again.  My batteries are just left in a cooler bag out, no heat.  Did go through 3 batteries and eventually ended up using the gas auger.

Averaging about 400"-450" (20 holes +/-) ice per 4ah battery on 7" bit.  As battery starts to wear down during use its prone to stop & binding at bottom right before break through.  The lightweight is just way too addicting and it was the first time I used my powered gas auger this ice season.

I like to hear how many inches of ice are you guys getting per 4ah battery?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #368 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Not every outing is gonna be the same, I'm drilling holes to be on top of fish. Wether it's 5 or 60 per day, I believe its the consecutive drilling is what's draining the battery quicker. Yes, this setup is very addictive due to the light weight and instant power. No more mixing, priming, and pulling cords for this guy  ;D. Fisherman-Andy, i used to run an 8" Nils on my tanaka  and have since switched to 6" for the last 3 yrs and I have no problem bringing fish top side but Im usually targeting panfish. I'm surprised you went through 3 batteries before using the gasser. Did you do any fishing or were you just trigger happy?...lol

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Not every outing is gonna be the same, I'm drilling holes to be on top of fish. Wether it's 5 or 60 per day, I believe its the consecutive drilling is what's draining the battery quicker. Yes, this setup is very addictive due to the light weight and instant power. No more mixing, priming, and pulling cords for this guy  ;D. Fisherman-Andy, i used to run an 8" Nils on my tanaka  and have since switched to 6" for the last 3 yrs and I have no problem bringing fish top side but Im usually targeting panfish. I'm surprised you went through 3 batteries before using the gasser. Did you do any fishing or were you just trigger happy?...lol

I dont think consecutive drilling drains the battery any quicker.  The battery sitting itself after use in the cold is worse.  I have been out with my Clam Drill plate for about a month or over now on 6"-21" of ice.  Its been the same everytime.  I have the 6" clam bit, the 7" lazer, and the 8" lazer.  I am not averaging more then 500" of ice per the said claims of up to 700".  Its evident that the 6" bit is the best for this setup.  I use this mainly for scouting so I will easily drill 40-60 holes in a day or more.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #370 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:36 PM »
I switch from a 7in lazer to an 8in nils......I'm positive the nils drills easier, gets more holes, & doesnt bind/catch at bottom of the hole ever. If you have to option try a nils on it if you can andy.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #371 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Yesterday I put my drill and one battery to the test.
I'm using a DeWalt 985 20vMax 3.0AH with a 6" Lazer mounted on the Clam Drill Plate. This is a drill that's a few years old and hasn't been babied...I work in masonry construction and it's paid for itself a few times.
13" of ice 29 holes...377" of ice drilled one battery. Every hole was also cleaned/reamed out after drilling thru, so taking that into consideration, I'm certain it could have drilled a few more.
I've got a total of $75 invested into this set up....$60 for the Drill Plate, $15 for the Clam extension.
Best $75 I ever invested in my ice gear.   :icefish:

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #372 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I switch from a 7in lazer to an 8in nils......I'm positive the nils drills easier, gets more holes, & doesnt bind/catch at bottom of the hole ever. If you have to option try a nils on it if you can andy.

Agro, can you give me the size specs on the bolts that you used to connect the Nils to the clam plate? My lazer has been cutting pretty good so but will switch to the Nils when ice gets thicker for more holes if you do indeed get more holes ???

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Agronomist/IA-  Where you located in NW Iowa?  Okoboji area?  How do you like the 8" NILS?  Is it the blue or orange?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #374 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:30 PM »
48 holes today thru 10" of ice, 6" lazer.  Two bars left on the Fuel 4ah battery.  Did have it shut down once when it got stuck - for the first time in my experience - probably the protection circuitry shuts it down if too much amp draw.  It woke up immediately when freed up and continued.  Still having trouble with the trigger sticking, almost pulled me down the hole one time.

This is perfect for me.  I hole hopped and fished about as long at one time as I can stand.  Wish the fishing was better, but did get a 18.5" LMB.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #375 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:21 PM »
48 holes today thru 10" of ice, 6" lazer.  Two bars left on the Fuel 4ah battery.  Did have it shut down once when it got stuck - for the first time in my experience - probably the protection circuitry shuts it down if too much amp draw.  It woke up immediately when freed up and continued.  Still having trouble with the trigger sticking, almost pulled me down the hole one time.

This is perfect for me.  I hole hopped and fished about as long at one time as I can stand.  Wish the fishing was better, but did get a 18.5" LMB.

Buzz23, if you're still experiencing a stuck trigger try loosening the lock nut and bolt on the trigger lever. I did this to mine and no more problems, I also added a little grease inside where the bolt goes through.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #376 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:57 PM »
I took the "shoulder bolt" off and greased that, and loosened up and greased the other bolt too.  Seems a lot better.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #377 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:14 PM »

You need to re adjust how your drill is mounted, I also experienced the same issue,after playing around how it was mounted the sticking issue was fixed

Also check and see how tight the trigger screw is, maybe back it off some

Good luck

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #378 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:35 PM »
             When do you guys have time to fish?  Don't think I have ever drilled 40 holes in a day!!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #379 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:43 PM »
             When do you guys have time to fish?  Don't think I have ever drilled 40 holes in a day!!

Whenever I hit the ice I like to deploy the search and destroy method ;D. I'm not a shack or bucket fisherman waiting for the fish to come to me, I'm always on the hunt. :P

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #380 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Whenever I hit the ice I like to deploy the search and destroy method ;D. I'm not a shack or bucket fisherman waiting for the fish to come to me, I'm always on the hunt. :P
         Never had that problem, fish with a bucket, and catch fish I'm one of the 20%!!!  Don't even need a flasher to find them, I know most of the time where they are!!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #381 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:44 PM »
         Never had that problem, fish with a bucket, and catch fish I'm one of the 20%!!!  Don't even need a flasher to find them, I know most of the time where they are!!

Well...wheres the fun in that? I just like being on the move and sitting in the shack would just bore me :tipup:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #382 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Agro, can you give me the size specs on the bolts that you used to connect the Nils to the clam plate? My lazer has been cutting pretty good so but will switch to the Nils when ice gets thicker for more holes if you do indeed get more holes ???

Sorry haven't been on fourm a few days. I'll check tomarrow and let you know.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #383 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Agronomist/IA-  Where you located in NW Iowa?  Okoboji area?  How do you like the 8" NILS?  Is it the blue or orange?

It was the blue one with an adaptor to clam plate got it from cabelas on sale for 150 then got a $20 off and free ship so I picked it up for $130......its just smooth cutting. Lazer is fast, but you can just feel it takes way more torque to turn it vs the nils.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #384 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:49 PM »

It can be done, but I haven't gone through a fully charged 4amp battery yet. Ice has been between 8-20 inches around here. I have been averaging about 25-30 holes an outing. When on 20in of ice i got about 22 holes and had a little battery left. Usually I find the fish after a few holes/moves. I could see it if you lived on the bigger heavier structure lakes up north.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #385 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:44 PM »
 read most of the reveiws on this thread and sounds  like either the milwaukee fuel or the new makita  are what most guys been using on there clam plates . decided to go with the new makita but home depot sold out of them . got a deal on the 995 dewalt  but  haventheard much talk on weather guys been having the same success with the dewalt ? any one try the dewalt  995  yet???

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #386 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:06 PM »
That one should be OK.  Here's a video by Clam showing 102 holes through 7" of ice with that same drill (I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaUW-BThGQ8

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #387 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:56 PM »
      WOW !!!  102 holes  with 7" inches of ice  ya i say it will do the job  / thanks  there buzz  -   last year on lake ERie  ice got to be 3 feet thick real tuff hand augering so gona give this set up a try soon ?  Eries just not safe yet  but wont be long now  . after seeing video  should be just fine !!!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I'm just getting back into fishing after a long layoff, and I think I need someone to talk me OUT of this setup, or confirm it...

We fish for big pike, so I'm not sure a 6" hole is acceptable - but I see how much easier on the drill  it is vs an 8" setup.  (I've always used a rarely reliable Jiffy 8" from the 70's)

I like the price and the option to switch to hand-powered on this one, but it doesn't come in 8"

http://tinyurl.com/n6faho7

If my drill is 500 in/lbs of torque, and I rarely drill more than 16 holes in a day, would that be enough to drill sixteen 8" holes in a day?  Typically we're 20" of ice or less. 

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #389 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:55 PM »
500 in-# is marginal for 8", but even more important is having lithium batteries of 3 or  more ah capacity.  Guys are successfully using an 8" nils with the Milwaukee Fuel drill, there's a thread nearby which explains their experience.  How much you can back off from a top of the line brushless drill and still get the job done? I don't know.  Pointerguy who started the clam plate thread tried a couple of drills which did not work on an 8" before he got a Fuel.  Read that thread for his experience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.