Author Topic: cusk bait  (Read 619 times)

Offline fatbasst

• IceShanty Rookie
cusk bait
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:54 PM »
I will trying for some cusk for the first time this weekend. What does everyone recommend for bait. I have heard the stinkier the better. Should I be aging some suckers by the fire place before the weekend?? :laugh:
tight lines
fatbassterd

Offline CtSir72

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cusk bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I too will be fishing for cusk for the first time this weekend. Are they only active at night?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:56 PM »
If your jigging for cusk, I would use a white or glow in the dark bucktail with cut sucker meat (not rotten) or tipped with smelt.
If your using cusk lines, I would use live bait be it big shiners, smelt or suckers. Thread your line through the tail meat section, pull your line through and hook your bait behind the head. The cusk will take your bait head first and cant remove your bait from the sewn on line.

Good Luck,
JIGGIN.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:43 PM »
My buddies and I do very well with cusk each year, Just my opinion...but Big shiners or smaller suckers 4-8" are the way to go.

We have tried everything from crayfish, smelt, liver, etc... but the shiners usually produce the fish.

The best cusk fishing is generally after dusk, but they can be taken during the day (overcast days seem better than sunny)

Try shelves ( where the water is shallow 20-30' and then drops down 50-60+)  Good Luck ;)

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:29 PM »
they been taking big shinezillas in newfound real well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.