Author Topic: Hub shelter air circulation solved on the cheap!  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Hub shelter air circulation solved on the cheap!
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:21 PM »
So, every trip out last year with my Polar Bird hub, I grumbled about the crazy uneven temperature in my hub; freezing at shin level, but sweltering hot at my head and above.  I knew that Clam made a fan/light combo specifically to address this issue, but I read of numerous quality complaints, so I kept looking.  Saturday I stumbled across this little gem for $12.99!  And it’s AMAZING!  USB powered, two very quiet speeds and it really throws the air!  Can’t speak to its durability over the long haul obviously, but my initial impression is that it will work awesome to provide enough air circulation to alleviate the hot and cold spots in my hub.  With 288 reviews, 4 1/2 stars and $12.99, it’s hard to go wrong!  Highly recommend!  I will be powering it with either one of my M18 Fuel batteries or a RavPower 18,000mah power pack.  Dimensions are 6” tall X 6” wide X 3” deep and weighs 7oz even.

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Speeds-Powered-Powerful-Office/dp/B01MR2SEAR/ref=pd_ybh_a_7?

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 830king

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hub shelter air circulation solved on the cheap!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Cant beat that price! I use my m18 fan but even on low it moves too much air and makes it a bit chilly. It's still better than having no air moving tho!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I've always wondered about them little powered usb fans.  Didn't realize they've grown up in size nowadays.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I wired up a 200mm computer fan to hang from the center hub, but it only pushes 110cfm and I didn't notice as big of a difference as I had hoped.  It was light and thin, but this may be the ticket.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Cant beat that price! I use my m18 fan but even on low it moves too much air and makes it a bit chilly. It's still better than having no air moving tho!

I looked hard at those, but didn’t like the price or the weight!  They’re very nice I’m sure, but I just wanted a small lightweight fan to move some air and this little guy fit the bill!

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Do you ceiling mount and face it down? Or do you just let it throw air across the shanty?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Do you ceiling mount and face it down? Or do you just let it throw air across the shanty?

Not sure yet! lol  I want to circulate the air, but I don't want to feel a breeze making it feel any chillier than it is per 830king's experience.  I'll probably move it around and try different things until I figure out what works best.  Since I won't be fishing again this weekend, maybe I'll set the hub up in the driveway and play around with it to see what works best when the heater is running.  Will update the thread with my findings.

DN

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Not sure yet! lol  I want to circulate the air, but I don't want to feel a breeze making it feel any chillier than it is per 830king's experience.  I'll probably move it around and try different things until I figure out what works best.  Since I won't be fishing again this weekend, maybe I'll set the hub up in the driveway and play around with it to see what works best when the heater is running.  Will update the thread with my findings.

DN

Could you hook a dimmer inline with this?  Make it act like a variable speed fan if you get too much air moving?  I am thinking along the lines that folks do with the LED lights. 

Also, did that manufacurer mention how many CFM its moving?  I have a computer fan right now on my smaller flipover, but don't have anything for the hub yet. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 02:58 PM »
If uneven heating is a problem if you own rigid drill like the octane hammer drill or the r86116 hammer drill the battery are compatible with this fan wich is way better quality then most every thing out there.. plus the lsa on it and I got the usb charger for my cell phone and bluetooth speaker.. I also got a power inverter for the car plus the drills and a 1/2 inch impact driver to boot.. and planning a whole lot more!! Any how see link to fan..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-GEN5X-Hybrid-Fan-Tool-Only-R860720B/205907844

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I wired up a 200mm computer fan to hang from the center hub, but it only pushes 110cfm and I didn't notice as big of a difference as I had hoped.  It was light and thin, but this may be the ticket.  Thanks for sharing!

I did this and it manages to even temp out after about 15 minutes of running in my otter xth pro lodge......it did struggle when I had an uninsulated hub.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Could you hook a dimmer inline with this?  Make it act like a variable speed fan if you get too much air moving?  I am thinking along the lines that folks do with the LED lights. 

Also, did that manufacturer mention how many CFM its moving?  I have a computer fan right now on my smaller flipover, but don't have anything for the hub yet.

It already has two speeds, so one or the other should work ok I hope.  The manufacturer does not list a CFM figure, but I would guess it's not a bunch more than one of the computer fans.  The things that sold me on it were the price and USB power.

DN 

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:39 PM »
So, every trip out last year with my Polar Bird hub, I grumbled about the crazy uneven temperature in my hub; freezing at shin level, but sweltering hot at my head and above.  I knew that Clam made a fan/light combo specifically to address this issue, but I read of numerous quality complaints, so I kept looking.  Saturday I stumbled across this little gem for $12.99!  And it’s AMAZING!  USB powered, two very quiet speeds and it really throws the air!  Can’t speak to its durability over the long haul obviously, but my initial impression is that it will work awesome to provide enough air circulation to alleviate the hot and cold spots in my hub.  With 288 reviews, 4 1/2 stars and $12.99, it’s hard to go wrong!  Highly recommend!  I will be powering it with either one of my M18 Fuel batteries or a RavPower 18,000mah power pack.  Dimensions are 6” tall X 6” wide X 3” deep and weighs 7oz even.

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Speeds-Powered-Powerful-Office/dp/B01MR2SEAR/ref=pd_ybh_a_7?

DN

Hey I like that! Thanks for sharing this little gem. 2 or 3 of these in the permy would be nice also.

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:38 AM »
You can buy them with onboard rechargeable batteries too. I used to use one in my 9416i for the same reason and I really liked it but my battery I hooked it up to eventually died. I just bought a new one with a 5200 mAh battery for $20 off Amazon. I haven't gotten to test this new one out yet since it hasn't been cold around here lately but it is much larger than the old one.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:34 AM »
You can buy them with onboard rechargeable batteries too. I used to use one in my 9416i for the same reason and I really liked it but my battery I hooked it up to eventually died. I just bought a new one with a 5200 mAh battery for $20 off Amazon. I haven't gotten to test this new one out yet since it hasn't been cold around here lately but it is much larger than the old one.

I looked at those, but I have a bunch of spare Milwaukee Fuel batteries, so...  Good luck with the one you got!  I figure even 5ah Fuel battery will last longer than I'll need it before it needs charging.  I think the fan I got draws .5 amps.

DN

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:41 AM »
It's a few dollars more, but it's battery operated and can either sit on a cooler or hag from the ceiling of my hub. Have had no issues with it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016HM7QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I looked at those, but I have a bunch of spare Milwaukee Fuel batteries, so...  Good luck with the one you got!  I figure even 5ah Fuel battery will last longer than I'll need it before it needs charging.  I think the fan I got draws .5 amps.

DN

I think this one will last longer with out breaking down on you as in more reliable..  .. versus the one you bought ..

https://www.tooltopia.com/milwaukee-0886-20.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o8&scid=scplpMLW088620&sc_intid=MLW088620&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx82yi63h3wIVjZ-fCh3wuAHtEAQYCCABEgIXgvD_BwE

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Someone higher up said that milwaukee fan moves to much air even on the lowest setting
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Someone higher up said that milwaukee fan moves to much air even on the lowest setting

Was wondering if it would?? That's for the heads up..

Offline eob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I have a USB clip fan that I got off Amazon.  Works good used it past two years in deer blind.  Also will stand on base.  Helps keep windows free of condensation and even out heat.  Ran all weekend on 5amp dewalt battery.  I now have the dewalt heater with fan.  I'm a fan of fans.

Offline Fishinnndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:23 PM »

I know its an old thread but I think it might help some! I juste picked up this 4in 18v ryobi fan for 25$ its around 80-100 cfm on low and last 12 hours. To not feel the breeze i put it on the floor pushing upward that act exactly like reversing a ceiling fan. Sucking cold air up and pushing hot air down. High setting is overkill at 180cfm but i usually run it for 5min so everything equalize and then on low. It works extremely well in my fatfish 949i with a big buddy i fish in t-shirt at -30 celcius.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.