Author Topic: question about mobility and tip ups  (Read 1289 times)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
question about mobility and tip ups
« on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Good evening all,
this ice season will be my first chasing Walleye. I spent all summer gearing up to chase them effectively (flasher, power auger, jig rods,  good depth map of the reservoir i intend to target, etc)  The lake i plan to fish allows me to fish 6 lines at one time. I really like fishing with tip ups, but understand that moving and jigging will likely be the bread and butter when searching for fish. My question is...In your experience, when prospecting new "likely" areas is it worth it to get tip ups set up at various depths while you prospect the area with a flasher and jig rod, or is it a pain in the neck that hinders mobility?  Cheers!! Chris

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: question about mobility and tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:12 AM »
I save the tip ups until I have found a "spot".

If I am searching for fish, I usually run - n - gun.  Using a jig rod.
I'm looking for a piece of structure that the fish are on.
When I have found fish, then I set up my tip ups and  work the structure over good.

We are only allowed 3 lines in Wisconsin, so it takes longer to cover a particular piece of structure than it does for you.

I mark the holes I drill with a GPS, and keep track of which holes the fish came from. 
Keep notes from year to year, and you will be able to set up without as much searching.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:38 AM »
it does, thanks a lot.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:26 PM »
i agree with wiener.. if you know your spots, then set the tipups. however, if im spending the day searching for eyes, i generally have a lake map or idea of where im at and where im going and then i drill 30 or so holes across the piece of structure or whatever, throw two boards out and then hole hop with the jig stick. when i find the spot, i move tipups accordingly..
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.