New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New to area Oswego NY  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Khumar

• IceShanty Rookie
New to area Oswego NY
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Hello folks!

I am new to the area and I am looking for a place to do some ice fishing this winter.  I prefer to target trout.  I don't know many people in the area and those I know look at me funny when I say I enjoy ice fishing.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
Re: New to area Oswego NY
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Oswego River has phenomenal trout fishing throughout the winter...but no ice :-)
You can trout fish the Finger Lakes if/when they freeze. Mostly lakers with the occasional 'bow or landlock.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:58 AM »
 Check the reports and conditions pg  , be ready to travel , the dec has info on their web that will help ,

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:53 AM »
not so much for trout but sandy pond and oneida lake are superb ice fisheries.

Offline Pete26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:57 PM »
You'll have to do a little driving or hope for a good freeze on the Finger Lakes for trout. As far a ice fishing in general, there are plenty of great places around.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I caught browns in otisco lake and when skaneateles lake has ice   you have a shot at  lakers  rainbows and   landlocks..... I never  ice fished  for  trout on these waters so I have no idea what to do

Offline Eliasnew98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:03 PM »
I live in Volney and I fish sandy pond a lot

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:11 PM »
I've fished skineatelas at very South end by town (if and when it freezes) caught Lakers...there and it's easy shallow water but the Lakers and trout taste the best from any other waters there...welcome and good luck.

Offline Storyteller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:27 PM »
 Check out Little York Lake south of Syracuse and Millsite lake Theresa NY north of watertown, Both have trout, ice on Millsite can be tricky, info on this site and DEC site Good luck.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:10 PM »

You can ice fish millsite for trout and LL but  no lake trout through the ice
 Lake trout season is April 1-October 15
 Page 34 of the fishing syllabus

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:48 AM »
the pond in Cortland you can see from81 has trout and I see people ice fishing it all the time ...I don't know the ponds name or rules you'll have to check

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:50 AM »
If I were you I would explore some of the ontario tribs around there, and of course the oswego river for trout in the winter.  For ice fishing - besides lake ontario itself, I'm not sure how much trout water is super close to you...but great walleye and perch for sure at oneida lake and rivers in the area.  Many people ice fish for perch in the locks on the oswego/oneida river above the dam.  I used to live in Syracuse and would mostly fish rivers through the winter for trout.  But you really have great winter fisheries for steelhead right by you and you should definitely check em out!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:47 AM »
you don't want to fish near those locks there is water running threw them all the time ....watch someone get wet last year and watched a rescue in fulton ..... plenty of good safe  water to fish  and I know near  Rochester  is a lake guys catch trout out of .....l.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Welcome! I moved to the area (Pulaski) three years ago and have met some really good people on this site. Have met up and fished with several on Sandy Pond and Oneida. If you want to have someone show you the ropes which I suggest because both areas can be a little tricky with gas pockets, run off, rockpiles....ect I'm sure there are plenty of solo fisher Men/Women (some of the ladies REALLY kick butt around here, my wife included!!) who would be willing to meet up with you. All you have to do is ask and they will send you a Personal Message. Basic fishing rule's apply of course, pick up your garbage, DON'T be late and if someone takes you out don't fish their hole without them!!  ;D If you do make it out most people displaying the Iceshanty symbol either on their clothes or flying a flag are approachable, good people..... just bring your own choice of beverage and don't expect exact detail on when/where/how to catch fish. I don't mean to lecture but this is a small area and I don't want you to get off on the wrong foot.... just friendly advice and people WILL notice around here. Good Luck and be safe!!   
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:32 PM »
bird ,well said

Offline Khumar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. Most of my experience on the ice come from fishing on hemlock lake in livingston county. That one can be a little tricky too.

You are a lucky man Bird, my wife won't set foot on a frozen lake! My boys will fish with me but they have more fun when we catch fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.