The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363407 times)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Not to be a worry wart or anything, but with the power head up there where its mounted, does it make the sled tippy ?
                                                                           Surf
Hey Surf
 Good question .... and my short answer would be... " I hope not".  Surf, time is only going to tell how top heavy the whole thing might be. At the very beginning that was a concern of mine and after a while that thought and concern went out the window. ( the reason for now was)  I do know that last year when I had her all loaded up, (including tent and the works) for some strange reason it felt very stable.

Now I am thinking about it again.... LOL .... thanks Surf

Back then I designed ( only on paper) a system and thought of it a lot and came up with a idea that kinda had like pontoons like arms on it with skis if it became way to top heavy and on a sharp angle it would lean to one side and at that point the outward ski would stop it from tipping over.. ( Kinda serve the purpose like the training wheels I have on my bicycle.

Of course with its height any side ways angle that was too much will tip it over on its side. Back when I was in high school ... there was a kid who's daddy bought him three brand new decked out   4X4's, before he realized that his son thought it was ok to do a U-TURN on a steep hill.... YUP, you guessed it.. he rolled dang near every time he did it.

As for now I don't plan on too many inclines... and not just cause it might tip over if I go sideways.. BUT cause it will be a challenge to pull the dang thing up a hill.

( Who knows one day I might have to b making some kind of outward side system with supports)
I am hoping to be able to test Her out this next Saturday.

8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #61 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Alta, Not to be a worry wart or anything, but with the power head up there where its mounted, does it make the sled tippy ?
                                                                                      Surf

Hi Surf
I just finished looking at some other pics I had with it all loaded up and two rough outlines I had drawn. Your right.. it does sit up that much higher than if it was just the tent on it..

The tent sits down lower in between the side racks. The Auger sits up on the very top. That was hard to see when I have it sitting down in the basement on my flimsy card table of a work table.

Oh... Oh... I may be back to the drawing board again.... I may be back to the Trailer idea once again.  ... LOL ...

Thanks Surf ...
   8)

surflizard

« Reply #62 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Sorry Alta, I was just trying to help. :( I used to fish with a guy that tried something similar to what your building and he went too high and too heavy. He used the slotted angle iron to build his and it got way too top heavy.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Sorry Alta, I was just trying to help. :( I used to fish with a guy that tried something similar to what your building and he went too high and too heavy. He used the slotted angle iron to build his and it got way too top heavy.

Hi Surf.
Sir, no problem , no need to say sorry.. I am glad you woke me up.... LOL ... I'll just have to rethink it through.

Thanks bud.
     8)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Alta, you just need to mount those cantilevered outriggers on it like a Hawaiian canoe!!!!  ;D  Lower and wider= Stability. As load height increases, center of gravity needs to decrease and occupy more ground area...ie; larger footprint. Or, you could have have Surfy sit above the tub/skiis...he has a low center of gravity... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Can you go with a center rail, and two "Side rails" angled down?  Like the peak of a roof...both sides equidistant..like the letter "A"...
That would give you a lower center of gravity the more your side angles increase.....just a thought.  ???

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #65 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I'm IN!!!

A brand spanking new Eskimo Z51 10" was waiting for me when I got home  ;D

I am a little unsure about the composite handles, but I usually take good care of my gear anyway.

surflizard

« Reply #66 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Outstanding Sinnian, Welcome to the F.O.E.A.O.  :thumbsup:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #67 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Alta, you just need to mount those cantilevered outriggers on it like a Hawaiian canoe!!!!  ;D  Lower and wider= Stability. As load height increases, center of gravity needs to decrease and occupy more ground area...ie; larger footprint. Or, you could have have Surfy sit above the tub/skiis...he has a low center of gravity... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Can you go with a center rail, and two "Side rails" angled down?  Like the peak of a roof...both sides equidistant..like the letter "A"...
That would give you a lower center of gravity the more your side angles increase.....just a thought.  ???
Thanks Rebelss

I understand what your saying... well the part about the outriggers like the Hawaiian canoe's.. Not sure about getting " Surf"
to sit still long enough until we get to the right spot on the lake. ...  LOL  ...

I was hoping down the road to get some time to work on something that can be on each side and it will be able to be lifted up out of the way and lowered down when it is needed.

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I'm IN!!!
A brand spanking new Eskimo Z51 10" was waiting for me when I got home  ;D

Hi Sinnian

Welcome to F.O.E.A.O  and congrats on your new Eskimo!

AltaIce

8)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:31 PM »
This is my first year with a power auger and i picked up an Eskimo Mako. Have had it out twice this season so far, and i love it! It started on the first pull this morning, and cut like a charm.  Cheers

surflizard

« Reply #70 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:29 AM »
Congrats and Welcome to the F.O.E.A.O. cbtrtbum, your the lucky one for sure, still waitin on the ice here !

I'll do it Alta, just as long as I can yell MUSH and WHOA at all the appropriate times !!  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Welcome to F.O.E.A.O., Sinnian and cbtrtbum!!!! You gonna love those 'mo's!!!!! I like firing mine up 1st thing in the early am under my neigbor's window!!! ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Thanks Rebelss

Not sure about getting " Surf"
to sit still long enough until we get to the right spot on the lake. ...  LOL  ...

Get him some Old Squaw longnecks, a bag  of Doritos, and a couple 'o trout sammiches, and you won't be ABLE to move him!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Just keep him away from the FLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAGGGG!!!!!   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:47 PM »
getting ready to join the ranks with a new mako. are they a decent auger?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

surflizard

« Reply #74 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Feel free to chime in on the new Mako, all of you New Mako Maniacs !   >:D :roflmao:

Just for future reference Reb, I find that Pork Rinds are more pleasing to the Palette than Doritos !  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Are Mako's decent?! Those babies rock, nypike!!!!! Yes....in all honesty, a good, solid auger.  :)

I think we need Eskimo Ice Teams....the Makos and the 'Rays! We could have those emblems on T-shirts that you're WORKING ON Surfy, and have a big Ice-Hole O'rama Shoot Out and Fishapalooza!!!!  :woot:
Guys, just DO NOT let Surfy tell you he's "Head of concessions"...we'll have to carry him home again!! :sick: :roflmao:

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:06 PM »
What the heck, I'll join in. Picked up a Stingray last winter for 200.00 from my uncle. Brand new in the box. He won it in a raffle. No tax or shipping, so not a bad deal. Love it so far.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:39 PM »
getting ready to join the ranks with a new mako. are they a decent auger?
Better than decent. They are agreat auger. No issues with mine in the 2 season I have on it.

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #78 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Eskimo pirhanna bought brand new in 1999 this will be season #11 with it.   1 new spark plug 2 years ago and 2 new blades and it has never missed a lick.  These things are tough and well built. I also have a 3 horse jiffy i got last year the thing is a pig and does not run nearly as good as the eskimo

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:32 PM »
You bet they are, holedriller. You don't see many augers still going strong after 11 years! Eskimo's just celebrated their 50th anniversary...must be doing something right.  ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #80 on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:24 AM »
Feel free to chime in on the new Mako, all of you New Mako Maniacs !   >:D :roflmao:
Just for future reference Reb, I find that Pork Rinds are more pleasing to the Palette than Doritos !  :roflmao:
Sorry Reb... LOL ... I have to agree with "Surf" on this one... I'll take tha' Pork rinds over the Dort's any day. ...LOL ...

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #81 on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:42 AM »
Hey all good day.

Ok, Ok, I plan to take the new Z71 out for its first try this saturday. (just a short day)
Then on Sunday, Hope to plan to go out for a long day at Pine Coulee.

So for now I intend to bring my Auger in two pieces.
So I know that in time I know I am going to have the odd extra parts in my sled. (incase i lose, drop ,damage, etc.)

A few fast questions though??? ( If you don't mind) Just need to pick your brains.  So Surf, please put down the " Pork Rinds" and pay attention... Thank you.  LOL ...
  -  Three different grads of Fuel here. I was told to get the 87% Regular gas, and that it was all I needed... True or False. I
wanted to to put in Premium. But was told not too??

-  Do I need to carry a extra spark plug? ( in time I'll have all the other extras like screws, wrenches, blades etc.)

-  This may be a weird questions. You how for vehicles they suggest in some climates ( and folks who keep there vehicles in the garage) too add a gas line antifreeze? Do you need to add a little gas line antifreeze to a auger?

-  If Pork Rinds are banned in Canada.... Can we get Surf to ship us some??

-  When finished using the Ice Auger.... Best to lay it on its handle or drill half a hole and stand it in the up-right position?

-  The Eskimo manual states that there is a two or so hour break in time where during this time the Clutch may slip. What am I watching or hearing for, and should I be worried if it does not engage over a certain period of any time. ( like seconds, etc?)
Thanks ...
    8)

surflizard

« Reply #82 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:23 AM »
First and foremost, Heaven help those who dream up the Cockamamie Idea of Banning Pork Rinds, If they even thought of attempting it, I would invoke the curse of the Deadly Sputtering Sphincter Spasms down upon them  ! OOPS, sorry Alta, I got a little carried away there !  ;D False, 2 stroke engines like octane, they Do run better on the Premium. I take the spare parts idea to to the borderline excessive end, The one time I didn't bring the spare parts I needed, I ended up going home early and for me that is unacceptable ! Spare plugs, Plug wrench's, Blades and a small tool set just in case ! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it ! Gas line antifreeze is basically alcohol, there is too much alcohol in the fuel already ! A good mix of high test gas and a quality 2 stroke oil and fuel stabilizer, preferably Seafoam and your good to go ! Laying it on its handle with the blade guard installed is the best way to protect your hard earned investment in your new Mo, left upright in a half drilled hole, it can fall over or worse it can freeze in and the excessive twisting and prying of the drill bit to get it out can really do serious damage to the drill bit and blades ! With a new auger, I will drill quite a few holes, It helps me to figure out the best way to run it, see if it will bind at the bottom of the hole, and it lets me listen to the motor to see if everything is Copacetic ! Occasionally, guys will push down on the handles to make it drill faster or so they think. sometimes this will lead to a bit stall, you don't have too, a sharp auger will pull itself down ! I keep my feet shoulder width apart and good grip on the handle and let her do the work !!  :roflmao: Rebel has a great RPMs break in technique that I recommend, after all, he was a Crotch Rocket Racer for a lot of years  ;D  Hopefully he's not lollygagging around and he will post it again for everyone !  Lets see some action shots of all these Mo's on the ice, It may lead to some occasional drooling, but that's reason why the Fish Gods invented long sleeves !!   :roflmao: For the new to power auger users amongst us, you might notice a craving for the smell of 2 stroke mix burnin in the morning, that is normal F.O.E.A.O. Behavior !  :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:11 AM »
picking up my Mako today!!!!!
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #84 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:05 AM »
What the heck, I'll join in. Picked up a Stingray last winter for 200.00 from my uncle. Brand new in the box. He won it in a raffle. No tax or shipping, so not a bad deal. Love it so far.

(Image removed from quote.)

And another Stingray joins the ranks!!!! Welcome to the Brotherhood, Ray!!!! Finally, another Minneysoda Man!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I'll argue the fact that 2 strokes love octane. There is no need to burn more than the recommended octane. The higher the octane the slower the burn and the cooler the engine runs. I can see a need for higher octane if you are running higher compression ratios. The average engine running 10:1 or less runs fine on 87 octane. Anything above 12:1 and your getting into the need for premium 91+.
If you buy a oil with stabalizer there is no real need for seafoam.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:34 AM »
AltaIce: Everything the venerable Mr.Surflizard said is "right on the money"...but, for some reason he forget to tell you...USE NON-OXY GAS!!!! Don't use this crap with ethanol in it...it just destroys fuel lines, gaskets, seats, etc., anything that's rubber/plastic is degraded due to the high amount of alcohol in it. I've talked with the folks at Eskimo numerous times (Great folks!) regarding this...and they also suggest adding some Seafoam to the gas.
I would bet Surfy was just chasing a pork-rind across the keyboard and inadvertently deleted the point about non-oxy gas...because we have discussed it/suggested it numerous times before. On the break in, here's how I've always broken in new engines or ones after a rebuild...I'll apply it specifically to augers....
Get your good non-oxy gas and seafoam mix...use a good air-cooled 2 cycle oil at the RECOMMENDED 50:1 mix, (you can go a little rich, ie; add more oil on your first tank, but not necessary) and yes, synthetic is fine, as long as it's the PROPER ratio. Can't stress that enough...too many people think the engines run "Better" at 100:1 with synthetic...except a year down the road when the cylinder is all scored.  Anyway, fire 'er up, and let it idle for about 10 minutes or so. Shut it off, and let cool down about 10 minutes. What you want to be doing, is as long as it runs, give it the same amount of "cool down" time...heat is the worst enemy  on a break-in. Now start it again, and slowly rev it up, let it go back to idle, repeat, shut off. Repeat this again, taking it up higher in rpm's....until after about 4 or 5 of these ''cycles" you hit WOT. Hold it wide open for 10- 20 seconds, let it return to idle for a couple minutes, shut 'er down. rest. Repeat. Check for gas/oil leaks.  You're good to go!!!!! Let 'er scream on that ice...and yes, it will take some time for that clutch to break in...it WON'T lock on you, but don't be concerned if it turns slowly at idle. They're a little "grabby" (the clutch) when new. Mine did it. DON'T turn the idle screw down!!!!! Hope all this helps!!! Oh, and Surfy, thanks for the pork-rind Christmas cookie recipe! The neighbors dog loved them!!! ;D Oh, I'll be sending you a tin of fruitcake that I know you like...I didn't have rum, so I just added beer and powdered orange drink. I call it my "Prune-tang" special... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I'll argue the fact that 2 strokes love octane. There is no need to burn more than the recommended octane. The higher the octane the slower the burn and the cooler the engine runs. I can see a need for higher octane if you are running higher compression ratios. The average engine running 10:1 or less runs fine on 87 octane. Anything above 12:1 and your getting into the need for premium 91+.
If you buy a oil with stabalizer there is no real need for seafoam.
Yup, I agree with ya...and the lower octane has more actual "energy" expended in a burn. However, unfortunately,  some of the lower octane stuff they're pushing out there has more alcohol in it in some areas... Since we're talking about Eskimo's here, the reference to Seafoam is what the people at Ardisam told me more than once on the phone to use in their augers. Just passing that along to these Eskimo owners. The difference between the stabilizers and Seafoam is that Sfoam helps to actually keep your needles/seats clean.
I rarely used it before, just a certain name brand stabilizer...but I've switched to the Seafoam. A hot tip from some of the engine build buddies: there's a Great (So they say) new stabilizer out there...Startron..made by Starbrite. Has some good recommendations... ;)

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Seafoam is good but in our local shop we have seen some etching of the carb throat?? This is mainly on the machines whose owners swear that they regliously use some type of "cleaner/stablizer" I would use it sparingly.
Not sure what it is from but it is there.
I was told by a eskimo rep that i could use a few oz's of seafoam with my mix.
I bought one of those ethanol testers. Most I have seen in the winter months is 2-3%. I use winter fuel only as the content is less than summer blended fuel.

No issue running a 100:1 mix. Think about it oil injected snowmobiles run from 100:1 at idle to maybe 60:1 at WOT. People have been running amsoil/opti-2 for 30+ years with no issues.

My fil runs an old poulan chainsaw, ran opti-2 through it for 30 years. Still runs and has great compression. Only cuts in the winter time.

surflizard

« Reply #89 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:50 PM »
As Rebel stated, the lower octane gas here in NH has 10% Ethanol in it ,so I run the higher octane AV gas with no Ethanol in my engines and they run better for me, but that's just my choice. I found this out by trial and error, some mixes were junk right out of the jug and I discovered that the AV gas and Amsoil Saber and Seafoam is what runs the best for me. There are a lot of gas mix choices out there, so what ever you find that works best for you, by all means run it. When I started this thread I was looking for feedback from Mo owners and that's what you guys are doing and myself personally, I think its helping both veterans and newcomers alike ! Keep up the good work and lets see some Mo's in action ! I don't have enough ice to run mine yet so this is the best I can do !  :'(  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.