Author Topic: electric drills  (Read 4507 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: electric drills
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2019, 09:51 AM »
kovac ice master 2.
http://icemasteradapter.com/

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:04 AM »
with 18 in of ice and the battery fully charged, in about 25 degree weather, i was able to do 16 holes until the battery was dead
i will say if the batteries get cold it will drop the performance.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Keep in mind that when drilling an 8” hole, you are removing twice as much ice than if you were to drill a 6” hole. So, for those getting 10-15 holes with a 6” auger can drop right down to 5-6 holes with an 8” auger. Same goes for the other direction. If you’re getting 20 holes with an 8” auger (and want longer battery life/more holes) switching to a 6” auger will double that to 40 holes.

Regardless of auger size, I’d recommend at least a 4/5ah battery (depending on the brand). Any less will just leave you wanting more.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:06 AM »

I'd also recommend staying away from K-Drills. They were a fad when drilling first got popular, but there are tons of better options out there now. K-Drills use chipper blades and they're super slow (maybe that doesn't concern you), Eskimo, Clam, and StrikeMaster all have lightweight auger flighting out now that have shaver blades. These cut faster and in my experience are easier on battery life. Don't let anyone try to tell you you need chipper blades to reopen holes, that's a bunch of crap. Most power augers now have pilot points which make chipper blades obsolete in my opinion.

K-DRILL has been awesome on my fuel..Not sure what there is to not like?? Lightweight and burns through the ice.. using side by side with the NILS and there is very little difference. I actually own one and actually use it...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:51 AM »
changing the topic a bit, do you all have any safety devices for preventing the bit from falling through the hole?  I know the Eskimo has that plate and the k-drill has that foam flotation thingy.  Looking for ideas, thanks!

My first one was a piece of wood about a foot long with a loose fitting U-bolt(so that the wood would not spin). My second one was a fairly thin sheet of Al. Now I have the Clam plate so I don't need any
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Keep in mind that when drilling an 8” hole, you are removing twice as much ice than if you were to drill a 6” hole. So, for those getting 10-15 holes with a 6” auger can drop right down to 5-6 holes with an 8” auger. Same goes for the other direction. If you’re getting 20 holes with an 8” auger (and want longer battery life/more holes) switching to a 6” auger will double that to 40 holes.

Regardless of auger size, I’d recommend at least a 4/5ah battery (depending on the brand). Any less will just leave you wanting more.

I have a 8" Mora on a clam plate and would still consider a K-Drill a solid option. I can't drill overlapping holes for Lakers and shavers aren't going to stay sharp as long in dirty ice.

Offline minnow_master

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2019, 03:06 PM »
I started the same thread on the Michigan Ice fishing forum.  I received some very good information.  I settled on the Milwaukee fuel hammer/drill 18v..  I actually purchased a kit.  It came with the drill, 3 5.0ah lithium batteries, charger, side handle and hard case.  I got it from CPO tools for $216 and tax.  I purchased this drill because it has 1200in. of torque and is suppose to be top of the line?  We'll see!  Then I purchased a Strikemaster dual adapter ($19), that can be used on either a handheld or power drill.  I have a Jiffy pro 4 with both a 5in. and 10 in. augers.  The adapter wouldn't work on the jiffy augers so I had to take the adapter to a machinist ($20) and have the middles collar turned down so that the adapter would go down into the auger further, in order to line up the holes for the pin.  I also purchased a strikemaster auger saver disk for ($7).  Soooo, I have about $265 into the whole system.  Hopefully this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Hi!  I got the exact same setup!  No ice yet so have yet to test, but i've been hearing reports of the 18M Fuel having overheating issues and a finicky trigger.  You have any of those issues?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.