Author Topic: Auger for electric drill  (Read 6403 times)

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger for electric drill
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:44 AM »
Right now I'm using the auger from my 6" StrikeMaster Laser hand auger paired with a Dewalt 20V brushless drill and a Clam plate.  This combination works great for me.  I would like to upgrade to a 8" auger.  The StrikeMaster 8" hand auger is about $100.00 but I see other augers listed as nearly twice as much.  Is there an advantage to the higher priced models?  Should I just purchase the StrikeMaster 8"? Is the center point on other models helpful?  Thanks.
Good things come to those who bait.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger for electric drill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:49 AM »
See if ebay has a eskimo silver tip with the  curved blades in a  8 inch??

they sell for considerably less like 50 to 60 each??

then get that new clam gear box for your clam plate?

I bought my gear box form homedepot.com. for 70.44 plus tax came to 74.99? Any how I dont think you have any problem with it with that planetary gear box and turning the 8 inch auger..

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:50 AM »
IMO that should be just fine.

The only advantage on the expensive composite ones is you save a couple pounds.

Not worth the expense IMO 200$ more for 2-3 lbs of weight.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I still run my Lazer 6" with the Dewalt. Honestly you can't beat the set up for the price. I'm with ont_angler , not really worth the $$$ to save a few pounds. I'm not sure I like those chipper style baldes. If you live near a fleet farm, they have the 8" lazer right now for $79. They have them at my local store anyway.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:20 AM »
I should have also mentioned, it sure is nice to be able to hook up a handle to the ice auger if the drill ever went down! I always pack that handle in the sled, cheap insurance.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Right now I'm using the auger from my 6" StrikeMaster Laser hand auger paired with a Dewalt 20V brushless drill and a Clam plate.  This combination works great for me.  I would like to upgrade to a 8" auger.  The StrikeMaster 8" hand auger is about $100.00 but I see other augers listed as nearly twice as much.  Is there an advantage to the higher priced models?  Should I just purchase the StrikeMaster 8"? Is the center point on other models helpful?  Thanks.
Is that the DCD996 Hammer drill or just a regular drill?  Makes a big difference.  The newer Dewalts are the 998 and 999. They are both beast.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:37 AM »
You can save a couple pounds by going a composite auger ...also a little less work for your drill set up . For the drill to turn an 8' auger drill unit it should be brushless ..725 in/lbs or better ..5 ah battery or better

As for blades ..1)Chipper style..slowest but cuts through dirty ice w/o worries can open old holes ie K-Drill send baldes out for free sharping  ..2)Mora/Shaver style faster can open old holes can handle dirty ice be hand sharpened with some skill set ..Mora ..HT E-Drill Cabelas Eze Drill ...tons of hand augers use this style ..replacement blades EZPZ to find and inexpensive... 3)Lazer/Curved blades fastest ..no good on dirty ice some folks can open old holes with them ..blades need to be sent out for sharpening .

features that are nice ...1)center point ..no skipping ..2) center ring 3) auger extension as some hand auger adapters used on a traditional hand auger will be short 4) Clam Plate

What model DeWalt do you have ? and What size batteries ? A under torqued / under powered cordless set up will eventually fail and you will not be happy with performance.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Lazer / curved blades with a center point and auger handle ..

https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/razr-scout-cordless-drill-auger-kit-razr-scout
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I have a Dewalt DCD990 with a 5 mAh battery.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Brother-in-law has the 8" $600 ION, Son uses a $250 8" K-Drill with M18 2804 drill. I use a modified $10 vintage Mora 8" hand auger & M18 2804 drill, (blade, added point and reverse ice chip propel blades that flings ice chips 18" away from hole.) and put the ION quick release on the drill. My set up & sons K-Drill same hole drill speed. I get 4 to 1 holes to the ION set up. My set-up about 2# over K-Drill & 4# under ION. I have a hand handle but no longer carry it. Not always necessary to spend lots of money.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:19 AM »
I use strike master lazer augers only. Have them in 4, 6 and 8.
I use ridgid octane with 9amp battery.
No plate, no gear box, not needed, no center point, no problems. Can reopen holes. Only walks if ice forms on blades.

You may want to add a gear box is all. It will slow your cut times way down being its a reduction drive system.

Try it with out first.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:25 AM »

Rule of thumb ..100 UWO is equivalent to 100 in/lbs if I recall... 100in/lbs per one inch of drill diameter is the other rule ..the 991,996 are good UWO  and should turn a 8in drill unit and the new 998 and 999 paired with a Flexvolt 6ah battery or better has technology in the drill to increase the power.. Over 1000 uwo ..called power advantage or power detect (depending on which model and where you purchase it...Home depot or Lowes )

Cant say that I have heard any members using the DCD990 ..never even knew it existed for that matter.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:02 AM »
papadarv - how did you add your centering point? thinking about doing the same to my auger.

Brother-in-law has the 8" $600 ION, Son uses a $250 8" K-Drill with M18 2804 drill. I use a modified $10 vintage Mora 8" hand auger & M18 2804 drill, (blade, added point and reverse ice chip propel blades that flings ice chips 18" away from hole.) and put the ION quick release on the drill. My set up & sons K-Drill same hole drill speed. I get 4 to 1 holes to the ION set up. My set-up about 2# over K-Drill & 4# under ION. I have a hand handle but no longer carry it. Not always necessary to spend lots of money.]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:43 AM »
That is the regular Drill Driver. Do you know what the UWO is on it? Never mind I found it is 650 UWO. That is boarder line and I wouldn't think it be enough for an 8" Auger.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:53 AM »
That is the regular Drill Driver. Do you know what the UWO is on it? Never mind I found it is 650 UWO. That is boarder line and I wouldn't think it be enough for an 8" Auger.

Would be hard to push a 8" K-Drill.. even a 6" K-Drill ..because of the chipper blades.. would be borderline in my opinion at best ..even a steel 8" would be a strain .. a composite auger with shaver or lazer blades would lighten the load and may be doable.

6" auger to 8" is cutting twice as much ice ...

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:40 AM »
papadarv - how did you add your centering point? thinking about doing the
Yes. Welded a spade bit to 3/8 bolt. Drilled & taped auger blade mount plate. Used the K-Drill tip design not dame as pic.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:31 PM »

If you like the 6in lazer hand áuger, what I would suggest is go on Facebook market place or craigslist. You can get very nice used one cheap. Like $25-$5 for one. I picked up two 6in mora hand augers for $15 and touched them up with spray paint sharpened the blades with my gatco ice áuger sharpener and they both look and work like new.

A center point isn't a must if you keep sharp blades and put a touch of down pressure on the áuger when you start. What the center point does is help keep the áuger from skating around before it grabs the ice when the blades dull a bit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:37 PM »
Yes. Welded a spade bit to 3/8 bolt. Drilled & taped auger blade mount plate. Used the K-Drill tip design not dame as pic.

Do you have a video of how you drilled and tapped the mora? I've got a 6in and a 10in mora that I'd like to do it to. I actually have the center tip strikemaster sells which is threaded and wanted to put that in the center.

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Sorry, It must be the dcd991 model.  Paired with the 6" StrikeMaster Laser hand auger it cuts through the ice like butter.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Sorry, It must be the dcd991 model.  Paired with the 6" StrikeMaster Laser hand auger it cuts through the ice like butter.

They did make the model you mentioned DCD990..but best to double check . Good luck with your search and purchase.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Brother-in-law has the 8" $600 ION, Son uses a $250 8" K-Drill with M18 2804 drill. I use a modified $10 vintage Mora 8" hand auger & M18 2804 drill, (blade, added point and reverse ice chip propel blades that flings ice chips 18" away from hole.) and put the ION quick release on the drill. My set up & sons K-Drill same hole drill speed. I get 4 to 1 holes to the ION set up. My set-up about 2# over K-Drill & 4# under ION. I have a hand handle but no longer carry it. Not always necessary to spend lots of money.

Took my 6in mora I refurbished to the local machine shop with the strikemaster center point tip. He is going to drill and tap it for $5 and put the center point on it. I'll see how it turns out and post some pics.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Took my 6in mora I refurbished to the local machine shop with the strikemaster center point tip. He is going to drill and tap it for $5 and put the center point on it. I'll see how it turns out and post some pics.

Is the strikemaster point threaded clockwise or counter clockwise? wouldn't want it to loosen when drilling holes.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:38 AM »
DCD990 is the drill driver version of DCD995 hammer drill
DCD991 is the drill driver version of DCD996 hammer drill

They are the exact same minus the hammer feature which is unnecessary for drilling ice.
I think Milwaukee uses a different chuck on the drill/hammer drill and the drill may not come with the handle.  But for DeWalt they are the same except for the hammer function.

How many posts until someone says the hammer drill has "better internals"?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:44 AM »

DCD990 is the drill driver version of DCD995 hammer drill  UWO 650

DCD991 is the drill driver version of DCD996 hammer drill  UWO 820

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:44 AM »
IMO that should be just fine.

The only advantage on the expensive composite ones is you save a couple pounds.

Not worth the expense IMO 200$ more for 2-3 lbs of weight.
I posted weights in another thread yesterday, but found a full Mora setup is actually lighter than the plastic Lite Flite.  The pistol bit was the lightest of the 3 and each was only about 12 oz difference in weight.  I would imagine other flat blade hand augers are similar weight to the Mora and the Lazer hand should be close as well.

Anyone have measured weights on the K-Drill, HT, or Cabelas plastic augers?

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:45 AM »
DCD990 is the drill driver version of DCD995 hammer drill  UWO 650

DCD991 is the drill driver version of DCD996 hammer drill  UWO 820
:thumbsup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Advantage of composite is no ice up on the flights ..or can be easily removed..but for those infrequent days a quick spin atop the ice will remove most ice/slush/water on either material . But the metal parts can still be a lil issue on either set up.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2020, 12:16 PM »
don't shy away from the yellow ones from frabill    they take laser curved blades

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.