Author Topic: Just got some Kahtoola micro spikes !  (Read 3181 times)

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Just got some Kahtoola micro spikes !
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:54 PM »
I don't mind stomping the packed snow off. It far outweighs the piece of mind that I get from wearing them. I have tried many styles. The first time I put these on I was amazed at how I had been getting around before.

But if you forget to they become slicker than skates. I prefer just screwing some hex heads in to my mucks lately.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Glare ice is kind of the only time I need spikes and they work well (I have knock-offs), with any kind of snow they just collect slush, freeze up, and I have to smash it off all day which is extremely annoying. So I'd say I like mine too if the conditions are right, and that condition is glare ice.

They work awesome on glare ice, I just find them uncomfortable to stand on all day unless there is a little bit of snow cover. But my Baffins are some pretty lightweight boots, I bet if I used something with a stiffer sole I wouldn't feel them so much.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I bought the XXL kahtoola micro spikes last year and they were great all season long.  I forgot to take them off my ice fishing boots at season end and when I went to get my gear ready this Winter one rubber strap on each micro spike had broke.  So remember to take them off your boots at the end of the season and let them relax.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:24 PM »
They work awesome on glare ice, I just find them uncomfortable to stand on all day unless there is a little bit of snow cover. But my Baffins are some pretty lightweight boots, I bet if I used something with a stiffer sole I wouldn't feel them so much.

That’s my only complaint about them. Tired feet.

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Thats definitely awesome about The good customer service stories. Almosstt makes them worth the 50 or 60 bucks.. If you bought the khatoolas good foer you but if anyone reading this hasn't yet, just get the knock offs on amazon. I have had both and legit the same thing. Right now I am using the Uelfbaby brand or somethin weird like that. 20 bucks a pair and just as good, cant beat it.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I've had mine for 7 years, and forgot to wear them once this year. They are the best thing I've purchased, and they are cheaper than a bill at the emergency room.  Forgetting to wear them out once in seven years help remind me of that.

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Sorry....hate to go against the posting majority....had to toss mine after three years..rubber torn on both making them unrepairable...I just figured natural lifespan of the rubber so I tossed them...I never approached the company after three years , the thought of defective never entered my mind after so many uses. My bad I guess.
 I Switched over to Stabilicers...much more durable (but heavier). Cleats are on the perimeter of your foot, not in the middle which I feel makes you more sturdy. I just replaced a few of the cleats on them (heal & toe) which makes the lifespan on them much longer than most..I really cannot see the harness or sole which holds the cleats ever wearing out.
Check them out....you might like what you see!
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Sorry....hate to go against the posting majority....had to toss mine after three years..rubber torn on both making them unrepairable...I just figured natural lifespan of the rubber so I tossed them...I never approached the company after three years , the thought of defective never entered my mind after so many uses. My bad I guess.

Did you leave them on your boots in the off season?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Mine are only 2 years old and I like them very much.  They are about the 4th version of ice cleats I've had but went with them after hitting the back of my head and about taking my brains out.  Somewhere I read to wash  them in soapy water when you get done for the year then spray them with Silicone which I did.  Gonna hang them up for the year pretty soon and do the same.  They are pricey and heard the customer service is pretty good  but want to make them last at the price.  They do the trick.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:23 AM »
I have a similar product, Hillsound Trail Crampon, https://hillsound.com/collections/crampons/products/trail-crampon-ultra?variant=14125749862511 and have very happy with them. I'm on my second year with no problems.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Anybody know of a company making very small cleats for kids? I have had my 3 year old daughter walking out in her snow shoes even on glare ice because they have the spikes on the bottom. Can't find anything to add to her boots and there soles are too thin for hex screws. Haven't found any traction devices in kid sizes.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Pretty good deal on a set of Hillsound crampons. 20% off plus free shipping... https://www.backcountryedge.com/hillsound-trail-crampon-ultra.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.