The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake; 2019  (Read 16472 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gull Lake; 2019
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:44 PM »
 Hi everyone, thought I would get this popular thread ,finally started, again !  I have an Ice Report  ;) . Smelt jr. informed me, a few hrs. ago, that most of the lake is skimmed over. The bay has been locked up since this past Friday . I don't know if anyone has been out yet, but I will start doing more checks, myself, starting on 1/17 .  I have a huge favor to ask everyone that fishes Gull ,this year. Our DNR district biologist, Matt Diana is asking us to fill out creel census forms for all of our trips this year. Please read his thread at the top of the Mich. Threads for all the details. The DNR is taking an interest in Gull, lets help them . As soon as I can get on the ice, I will be targeting Smelt & the recently planted Steelhead, along w/ Lakers & Pike. Our summer fishing trips produced very few Lakers this year, but the pike & Bass fishery was pretty good. Lots of concern about the Smelt, but we will see, very soon.   Good Luck & hope to see several old friends & make some new ones in the near future , Phil   
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
Re: Gull Lake; 2019
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Saw a guys walking out on the ice and fishing today on the Gull Lake baycam.

Stay safe, spud every step, and tight lines!

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:02 PM »
3-4 people out there fishing now. I spudded it and didn’t feel comfortable, it’s very patchy. After the cold temps coming this weekend it should be fine.

Be safe if you’re going out there before hand, a few bug-eyed Gull gills isn’t worth falling in!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Good Luck Smeltbuster! Hope you catch all you want.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Thanks ! Guy on the bay right now. I am going to stop & check the ice, Thurs. after work. Hoping to try it ,Sat. morning, if its safe.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Praying that SB catches at least ONE smelt this year!!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm back!! Some how I fell of the map. Its been 8 years since ive been on here. Good to be back.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Welcome back, S.C.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:42 PM »
OK Folks; roughly 2"-2 1/2" of clear hard ice on south bay. 2 guys were out fishing ,when I checked it. Others have ventured farther out, to at least halfway up the south bay. I was only about 50 yds. from shore & 100 yds. west of the dock where you walk on. The ice did not crack at all & I weigh 205. Was hoping to fish tomorrow morning, but I am going to wait 1 more day. I will be out there, Sat. morning, for sure.  As for 2nd. bay, I have some potential BAD news. It appears that Gull Lake marine has put bubblers or something else in, to keep the water at that access point  open. all the other docks on the bay are froze in, the docks @ the launch are wide open. We may have lost that access point. I will keep an eye on the situation. I did not check any other areas, because they have only been locked up a few days, the south bay has now been locked up for a week.  Keep ya posted on what I find. Wgorby,  hoping for more than 1 smelt, but for right now I will be targeting Trout !

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:58 PM »
OK Folks; roughly 2"-2 1/2" of clear hard ice on south bay. 2 guys were out fishing ,when I checked it. Others have ventured farther out, to at least halfway up the south bay. I was only about 50 yds. from shore & 100 yds. west of the dock where you walk on. The ice did not crack at all & I weigh 205. Was hoping to fish tomorrow morning, but I am going to wait 1 more day. I will be out there, Sat. morning, for sure.  As for 2nd. bay, I have some potential BAD news. It appears that Gull Lake marine has put bubblers or something else in, to keep the water at that access point  open. all the other docks on the bay are froze in, the docks @ the launch are wide open. We may have lost that access point. I will keep an eye on the situation. I did not check any other areas, because they have only been locked up a few days, the south bay has now been locked up for a week.  Keep ya posted on what I find. Wgorby,  hoping for more than 1 smelt, but for right now I will be targeting Trout !

Smeltbuster, what’s your strategy for targeting Lakers? I live on the east side of the lake and only hooked them by accident last year. How do you approach them on Gull?

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:26 PM »
 :'( :'(  I would say that is really bad news for that access point, if they have bubblers going.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Smeltbuster, what’s your strategy for targeting Lakers? I live on the east side of the lake and only hooked them by accident last year. How do you approach them on Gull?
  Tip-ups & minnows in deep water, suspended 1/2 way down. Most of my laker fishing is done in the summer, using big Lake trolling methods. When I said that I was going to target trout, I was talking about the Steelhead that the DNR has been planting the last few years. Gonna try some Oldschool methods that I used back in the 80's & early 90s'. If they work I will let ya know. Also I am going to be out on South Bay Fri. morning, chasing Gills w/ my brother. Wasn't going to go, but since I have a Buddy, gonna give it a shot.  Smeltman, give me a call when you can, Miss swapping LIES w/ ya   ;D

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Hey everyone! Might see y'all out there Saturday morning. Cant remember if I shared my lake trout slamfest story from the soft water.  Phil I lost your number. Pm me. And jaybes,  pm also. I can share some fall tips for Lakers. Tight lines peoples!

gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Hey everyone! Might see y'all out there Saturday morning. Cant remember if I shared my lake trout slamfest story from the soft water.  Phil I lost your number. Pm me. And jaybes,  pm also. I can share some fall tips for Lakers. Tight lines peoples!

Boy you can tell that laker is starvin...venture to guess that's becuase the lack of the smelt.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Anyone caught a steelhead yet on gull?...not sure what size was planted though.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Anyone caught a steelhead yet on gull?...not sure what size was planted though.
  dgb , Hi ! Fished for them (steelhead) this fall, no luck. As for the Lakers,  Yup they are skinny enough to be a runway model in NYC !  Cant, (wont) say on here , but Smelt jr. caught one this summer that had something that was a HARD  plastic like material in its stomach. Lakers are looking pretty bad, but we did get some really nice pike & bass that were potted out. No smelt in the stomachs , but lots of crayfish & small gills & some plastics. Did mark some clouds of baitfish in the deepwater , so  there is some hope of  smelt. Cant stress it enough, lets keep the MDNR informed of what is happening out there.  I have seen lots of negative talk about the DNR this past year (mostly deer hunting), & even some for the fisheries division. The guys in the Plainwell office are really interested in this lake, lets help them, & ourselves in the long run .

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:30 AM »
If I recall steelhead were all in the 2-4 lb range. Haven't heard of any being caught.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I was reading thru the latest fishing digest, and it looks like we can no longer run an unlimited number of hooks for smelt?  Anyone else see this?

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I was reading thru the latest fishing digest, and it looks like we can no longer run an unlimited number of hooks for smelt?  Anyone else see this?

Yup...copied directly from the DNR website....6 hooks max, 3 poles max.  So I usually fish 2 hooks per pole on 3 poles anyway, so personally my setup is still legal.

See Link: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_84934---,00.html

For hook-and-line fishing: a legislative change, made at the end of 2018, now affects anglers targeting smelt in Michigan. This change consists of the removal of a provision in state statute that allowed anglers to use any number of hooks attached to a single line in the Great Lakes or recognized smelt waters for taking smelt, alewife or other bait fish.

Anglers will now be allowed to use no more than three lines per person with no more than six hooks or lures on all lines when fishing for these species. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted as one hook (note: for crappie/perch rigs and umbrella rigs each hook is counted as part of the total six allowed). This means anglers may use up to six hooks on one line or spread the six hooks out over up to three lines.

Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing that info .  I went to 1 rod w/ 6 hooks, 3 yrs. ago. Got tired of throwing pike back, that hit my smelt rig. As for this A.M., I ended up w/ 11 nice Gills ,my Brother had 7 . Probably 15 guys on the bay. No one on 2nd. bay.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Fished the bay for a few hours last night. Slush and water everywhere. After dark it started to freeze up but made an icy mess of most of my gear. Managed 7 keepers, 5 gills and two specks. Filling out my creel survey to submit to the DNR right now.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Smelt jr. checked the north end today , & It is unsafe, but should be safe, soon. Fished south bay this afternoon & quite a bit of the slush is freezing up. Where I fished, there was about 3" of  clear hard ice & frozen slush on top. Ended up w/ 20 nice Gills & should of had my limit. Still ,had a blast ,even though it was 8 degrees. Thank God for a nice shanty ! No luck on the Trout, yesterday. Keep ya posted on the lake ice as best I can, this next week.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:34 PM »
It was a good day in the Bay for sure, nice to see they’re finally biting.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Smelt jr. checked the north end & Baseline today. Still unsafe, but she is making ice , by the hour . Hoping to get on the north end, this week-end.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Couple of nice gills from the Bay today.

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Just checking the bay cam and seeing 4 groups out there is really giving me FOMO  :'(

Can anyone give an ice update?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2019, 10:48 AM »
  3 of us fished the north end this A.M. for pike ,& had no runs. About 4-6" of ice w/ about  1- 2" of snow on it. Smelt jr. said there were a few guys out in the smelt grounds last night, but we have no idea how they did. Guys fishing the Bible Conf.,but there is limited parking this week-end, due to an event ,there. Also seen some guys ,north of the island ,on the west side.  Guys have also been walking on @ Baseline rd. . I may try for smelt tonight, & will go on @ Baseline, if I do.

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Fished in the Pike tournament this morning.  Between two of us we had 7 flags but only landed 3, all undersize.

33 inch won the tournament and 31 inch took 3 rd. Guys fishing Baseline won.

Ice is about 6 inches with about an inch of snow at the Bible Conf.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:00 PM »
So anyone tried for smelt yet?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:35 PM »
So anyone tried for smelt yet?
  I will be trying for them ,Thurs. or Fri. night., not expecting much, but I gotta give it a shot. All this snow, is going to make for a tough walk out to the smelt grounds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.