Author Topic: My Favorite Fish and Shrimp Combo  (Read 1139 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My Favorite Fish and Shrimp Combo
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:17 AM »
This one falls under McManus' "Whatchagot" category. Searching the fridge for dinner makings one evening I came across some large shrimp (frozen, deveined, shell on) and a Swai fillet. I like Swai. It's a farm raised catfish with a very mild white meat. Stands up well to broiling, frying, baking, etc.

From that search, I put together this meal. It's become one of my all time favs when the Bride isn't interested in dinner. She's not big on fish or seafood. This may seem a long recipe, but it really takes about as long as the rice takes to cook. 20 minutes or so.

Whatcha need;

1 Swai fillet, rinsed and dried in on paper towels (very important to dry the fillet)
1 happy handful of shrimp, thawed, rinsed, peeled and dried on paper towels

curry powder
cayenne pepper
fresh ground mixed pepper (I use some kind of "pepper medley" in my grinder)
fresh ground salt (pink Himalayan is my fav)
onion powder
garlic powder
cilantro
parsely
minced garlic
garlic infused canola oil (I buy a jar of whole peeled garlic cloves and fill it with Canola oil. Stick it in the fridge and use the garlic and oil for your cooking. Canola oil won't congeal.)
Cooking spray
1/2 c. orange juice

In a glass bowl add;
shrimp
OJ
a couple of cloves of minced garlic (mince it fine!)
Season with the above  to taste, mix and set aside as you prep the fish. Let the shrimp get really happy ;D

A note on "Season to taste". Some folks like a lot of curry or cayenne, I find a sprinkle of each seasoning on the list very nice. But, to each his own.

Brush the skinned  side of the Swai fillet with a light coat of oil
Season to taste with all of the above except the minced garlic.

Heat a large fry pan to Medium High, give it a spritz of cooking spray and plop the fillet (turn the exhaust fan on!)

Season the top side of the fillet with the same as it sears.

Turn it over when it's crusted and sear the opposite side. Keep the heat up....we aren't poaching here!

Cook till clear through flipping occasionally to prevent burning. Takes about 5 minutes or so.

Remove the fillet and pour in the shrimp with the OJ to deglaze.

Reduce on high heat until the OJ is all but gone. Turn the shrimp once to cook both sides.

Place the shrimp with the reduction over the fillet.

I like it with a side of rice and steamed broccoli.

I was gonna take a picture last night, but I was hungry ;D

Enjoy!
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Favorite Fish and Shrimp Combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Dude,

This looks like some serious good eats!

THANKS

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Favorite Fish and Shrimp Combo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I am going to have to try that it really sounds good,always looking for new ways to cook fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.