Author Topic: Something to keep you warm  (Read 3005 times)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Something to keep you warm
« on: Aug 20, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Just made my first batch of hot sauce,one peck basket of red cherry bombs,1 lb of fresh garlic,white vinegar,salt.Stem peppers and grind every thing above ,simmer till thick,bottle and stick in frig. I make 3 types,red cherry,red jalapenos and red Cheyenne's. I got ghost pepper seeds this year but they came to late to start,I have a dozen habs plants  that may get enough too make a really hot sauce,but I'm not really fond of there taste. I love the heat on just about everything,any other heat freaks?

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Something to keep you warm
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2012, 07:38 AM »
sounds good.  ive got a glut of hot peppers this year, I may have to try this....how long does this keep in the fridge? 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2012, 05:47 PM »
It will keep at least a year in frig,but I use it and give away a lot.The salt and vinegar cure it,I leave a small bottle on the table all the time and it never spoiled.I just throw all the peppers and garlic in a food processor and add salt and vinegar and then cook it down.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2012, 06:27 PM »
A buddy ate a ghost pepper on a dare this summer during bike week here in June, He paid Dearly for that mistake !! :roflmao:

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2012, 08:24 AM »
We split Jalapenos, seed them, and fill with cream cheese mixed with bacon and shredded swiss and cook them on the grill. may have to do some up on the ice this winter. My son brought me a bottle of ghost pepper sauce. That will warm you through and through.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2012, 09:00 AM »
We split Jalapenos, seed them, and fill with cream cheese mixed with bacon and shredded swiss and cook them on the grill. may have to do some up on the ice this winter. My son brought me a bottle of ghost pepper sauce. That will warm you through and through.

I do the same, but add garlic powder and taco seasoning mix to the cream cheese...never enough to go around!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Years back, a buddy tried to pickle northern with dried hot chilles. It all turned mushy. Thought it would have been the perfect ice fishing snack. Any ideas if it was the peppers, or did he most likely screw something else up? We had done several non hot batches prior, but he did this one on his own, so he may have messed up.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2012, 09:54 AM »
It wasn't the peppers...he left the brine way too warm. That = instant mushy fish. Make sure brine has TOTALLY cooled off! Pickled hammerhandle chunks are delicous!!! YUM!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Oh yeah, something to keep you warm......

I've tinkered with a couple of hot sauces over the years and have a couple of favorites. The utilitarian one is "Sparky's Fruit Punch", not much to it but peppers, carrots and vinegar, but I sure to love the flavor of habbies on..........anything.

Sparkys Fruit Punch Habanero Hot Sauce

Fruit Punch Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe is a unique, easy and fun to make recipe. It will make your mouth water, your ears pop and your body temperature rise. This recipe is sure to please friends and family when you serve it at your next party or gathering.

Ingredients
This is a seriously hot sauce; use it with caution. Keep away from pets, open flames, unsupervised children, drunks, and scoundrels. To preserve the unique fruity flavor of the chiles, the habaneros are not cooked. When handling habaneros use food-safe gloves and thoroughly wash knives, cutting boards, and utensils with cold soapy water and then hot soapy water.

2 large carrots (1 1/2 cups) peeled & chopped)
1/2 medium red onion (1 cup) peeled & chopped)
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup water
6 cloves garlic (2 tablespoons minced)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarse grain or Creole mustard
12 to 14 habanero chiles, seeds and stems removed (3/4 cup minced)

Combine the carrots, onion, vinegar, water, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper and mustard in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Remove from heat.

Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the mixture. Add the habaneros and continue to puree until smooth. Pour into sterilized jars or bottles and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Leave plenty of head space as the stuff tends to bubble out. Just a note, cooking hot peppers cooks out heat and flavor so if you can cook the rest and add the peppers fresh or dried to the rest of the stuff at the end.

Yield: About 2 to 3 cups

Note: 10/14/2010 – Made this recipe and got a little over 4 cups. Tasty, basic habanero sauce; I seeded the peppers and I’d rate the product as “moderately” hot. Next time I’ll leave the peppers whole.(Definately!) I also used Dijon mustard.

Another favorite is "Cowboy Candy", a perversion of my mother's refrigerator pickle recipe (which is really good made with cukes anyway).

Refrigerator Pickles (No Cook)

4 c. sugar
4 c. vinegar
1/3 c. salt
1 ½ tsp. turmeric
1 ½ tsp. celery seed
1 ½ tsp. dry mustard

Mix all ingredients until dissolved. Slice cucumbers. Place in glass or plastic containers. Pour mixture over cukes, cold. Let stand in refrigerator until they have absorbed flavor. KEEP refrigerated, lasts for months!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowboy Candy Option
A tasty concoction of sweet pickled jalapeño peppers!

Prepare jalapeños by slicing into nacho slice size or a little thicker and pack tightly into a glass jar. One pound of raw peppers usually fits into a quart. Heat some white vinegar to 160° and pour over the packed peppers and cover loosely.

Let stand at room temperature 1-3 days. Pour off the vinegar and replace with the refrigerator pickle solution above. Cover and refrigerate.

In about 10 days you will be in Cowboy Candy heaven!

Options include, but are not limited to, additions of fresh onion, sweet pepper strips or carrot coins.

Enjoy!

I usually just mix up a gallon or so of the juice and when it comes time to make pickles or peppers I'm good to go. Keeps forever............

Bon Appetit'

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.