Author Topic: Corned Venison  (Read 2968 times)

Bullelk34

Corned Venison
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:33 PM »
For the hunters.......

Corned Venison

Anyone that likes corned beef is sure to like this recipe. The technique is pretty simple, brine the meat, then simmer it into tenderness. It takes several days to brine, but it’s not labor intensive. Once cooked, the meat will last a couple of weeks in the fridge. It’s important to use the nitrates for safety, you can get them at some grocery stores or online.
½ gallon water         1 cup kosher salt         ½ cup sugar      
½ oz. Insta Cure No.1 (sodium nitrate) or 1 cup Morton’s Tender Quick
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper      1 tablespoon toasted coriander seeds
12 bay leaves, crushed            1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dried thyme         1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 cinnamon stick            6 cloves
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped         3-5 pounds venison roast
Add everything but the venison to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and let it cool to room temperature. This will take a few hours to cool down. Trim any silverskin you find off the roast, leave the fat.
Once the brine is cool, find a container just large enough to hold the roast. Place the roast inside, and cover with brine. Discard the extra brine. Make sure the roast is completely covered in the brine, you will probably need to weight the roast down to keep it submerged. A few smooth (and clean) river stones work well. Cover and put in the fridge for 5-7 days, depending on the roast’s size. A 2 pound roast may only need 3 days. The longer it soaks the saltier it gets, but the nitrates need time to penetrate into the meat. Err on the side of soaking it longer than not long enough.  After the brining is complete, remove the roast and rinse it off. Put it in a pot just large enough to hold it, and cover with fresh water. You don’t want too much water when cooking, as it can leach out the flavor from the meat. Cover and simmer 3-5 hours, eat it hot or cold.
If your first attempt comes out too salty, boil some potatoes in fresh water and use the corned venison and potatoes to make hash. Dice very fine and mix well, then mash it up with a potato masher.
Enjoy!!!

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: Corned Venison
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:33 PM »
That sounds good! I am gonna try that. Any idea on canning it? I have never canned any meat but have heard of it being done.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:39 PM »
  My son cans venison all the time, I freeze mine vacuum packed.

Bullelk34

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:10 PM »
I wouldn't can meat that was corned first, no need to. Canning venison is pretty easy too, follow basic instructions in any book for it. Tastes great and is very tender, but it's alot of work compared to freezing.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Why leave the fat? Deer fat is just nasty! Sounds good but no fat please.

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:14 PM »
When canning meat you will need a pressure canner....unless you like botulism
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I like the recipe. I have corned deer, elk, with other recipes.  Really like it chilled and served with sweet hot mustard.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Sounds real tasty! Might try it this coming season thanks

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:53 PM »
We do corned venison and beef. Recipe is very similar but no cinnamon. We use the morton tender quick. We turn meat over every mornin for 7 days and cook in a crockpot with potatoes cabbage and carrots. Canning meat is getting to be a lost art. We still do it. We cold pack all our meat and use it for soups, chili and such. Canned bear and corned bear is the only 2 ways I care for it. Seems to greasy any other way. If anyone takes up pressure canning, Please be careful. You can really get hurt at this. Have someone show you or read up on it and be safe. Common sense goes along way. It is a great way to store food. Dont have to worry about electric going out and ruining it as with a freezer.  Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.