Author Topic: Calling All Hardwater Cooks!!!  (Read 4444 times)

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
Calling All Hardwater Cooks!!!
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I've been cooking on hardwater over a coleman lantern for years

This year I've switched to the propane rig for light / stove (I use a Mr. Heater for actual heat when needed).

Here's a few of my recipes / Hope you are up for sharing some of yours because I'm in need of new recipes!  BON APPETIT!

LUNCH/DINNER
(wrapped in double foil, make sure shiny side is out)
2x tablespoons of butter or some olive oil, 4-8oz of ground hamburger, 1 medium sized potato  thinly cut wedges or slices, seasonings (onions, garlic, parsley, etc)    A great side is garlic bread: pre-buttered/sprinkled with garlic powder and wrapped in single foil

2x tablespoons of butter or some olive oil - 1x chicken breast sliced in 1/4" strips and spread out on foil / leave gaps between strips - you can even insert vegetables in between them-   PRE-MIX TOGETHER in small saucepan then apply over chicken: 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 4x tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon brown sugar    marinate meat minimum 1-2 hours or overnight is fine too. Drain 90% of juices before sealing up for hardwater journey When cooking be extremely careful about it leaking juices - helps to use more foil then needed and draw it/bunch it into a column up the middle like a funnel thin @ base to wide @ top   You can also have burrito, fajita, taco shells in foil.  I pre-moisten LIGHTLY by rubbing water over each side then add light amount of butter.  When cooking, I open foil ever so slightly in middle about mid-way through cooking these

Catch-du-jour - filet some of your catch (bring 1 gallon ziploc for guts, head ,etc), add
    from snack sized ziploc bag containing: lemon juice, herbs, olive oil or butter, etc
    If you create a square bowl from foil you can also use cedar plank within borders!

Ham-n-Cheese please Sammies!

Grilled Cheese Sammies

BREAKFAST:

NOTE: ANYWHERE I MENTIONED SNACK SIZED ZIPLOC BAG - know that I have those within a larger bag (experience proves it's not cool to have them on their own and expect no mess)
Also helps A LOT to bleed air out of the smaller bags before sealing

Pre-butter  both sides of Texas Toast slices, cook, and then add cinnamon sugar mix on top  from your snack sized ziploc

LIGHTLY Pre-soaked (egg, milk, etc) Texas Toast for french toast, bring along cinnamon
    sugar mix to sprinkle in from snack sized ziploc bag  separate bag can hold whipped cream!

Pre-stirred and seasoned eggs in sealed container  Create a "boat" from foil and add
     butter or oil, heat up slightly and then pour egg base into it and stir
     close foil 90% and set near edge, then put on foil pouch of small diced potatoes, peppers,
     onions, along with sausage bits or sausage links cut in half with VERY sharp knife 
     Obviously if you like ham or any other meat then use it if ya got it!

Whatcha Got?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Calling All Hardwater Cooks!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Holy smokes im totally trying the french toast on my buddy heater, good lord my friends are going to be jealous.  ;D
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Dang that sounds good. Just getting started cooking hardcore out on the ice. Thinking about pre-baked spaghetti, mac & cheese, sandwiches, etc... Nothing like you've been doing though!
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2011, 01:03 AM »
A Snickers bar some jerky and a Diet Mt. Dew and keep on fishing.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Scrambled Eggs Boy Scout Style:

Crack open some eggs, cheese, meat and whatever else you like with scrambled your eggs. Mix all together and pour into zip-lock freezer bags...easier to do this before heading out.

Boil a pot/pan of water on your heater/cooker. Place bags of egg mixture into water, pulling them out occasionally to mix up with your hands for even cooking. When done, open and eat right out of the bag.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline fishnfinn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:35 PM »
i make eggs with ham and veggies in bag cook in boiling water easy and good

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Sounds almost to easy. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks
Sometimes I'll bring a small gas grill along. My favorite is to take chicken breasts and cut them into strips. Cover with Paul Prodoums Chicken Magic. In a cup mix equal parts Texas Pete's hot sauce and butter. On the ice I re melt it in a tin cup. Grill the chicken strips then baste with the Hotsauce mix. Awesome! Even better if you have any left overs the next day.

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:48 AM »
For breakfast I carry a small pot with me to boil water. I pre make up vac. sealed bags with a omelet mixture. When I ready to eat I give the bag a few shakes and throw it in the boiling water for a few Min's. breakfast is done.    :icefish: :tipup:

Offline dgiovagnoli

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Nothing is better on a cold cay then sausage pepper and onions on the grill.   cook the peppers and onions at home bring in tin foil warm them out on the grill while cooking the sausage.  It is incredible.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:41 PM »
love sausage and peppers.....i just made up 5lbs of italian venison sausage last night,,,sort of a test run.  Worked great.  Ive got enough seasoning to make up another 45 pounds of various 'flavors'.  Im going to have to get out there and arrow another deer for the main ingredient. 

I like to try to precook everything at home, so on the ice, its just a reheat and eat.  I just got a jet boil this year, so Im psyched for anything that only requires boiling water.  Eating on the ice is awsome.  If only it didnt take away from fishing time.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:37 PM »
I did the buddy heater "grill mod" last winter.  When i had time, I'd put homefries, onions, sausage, and scrambled eggs into aluminum foil and when hungry on the ice just throw the foil bundle on the buddy heater.  10 minutes to steaming hot breakfast.  When i was short in time, I'd take frozen breakfast sandwiches wrapped in foil...

Offline hunter1706

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I make buffalo chicken that everyone likes,  its the fat from the bacon from breakfast with a healthy dose of franks red hot and a little butter cook the chicken breast in it and throw it on a roll done nice and easy.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I like to put weiners in a wide mouth soup thermos, pour boiling water into it and have hot dogs for lunch. Works really well.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:42 AM »
I like to put weiners in a wide mouth soup thermos, pour boiling water into it and have hot dogs for lunch. Works really well.

No comment...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Be nice now!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Be nice now!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I AM...but you're makin' it tough on a fella. :-X

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I AM...but you're makin' it tough on a fella. :-X
Gotta be better than a cold sammich or the pop tarts my buddies are eatin. Sardine and onion sammiches are good too. What's that do for ya???  >:D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Gotta be better than a cold sammich or the pop tarts my buddies are eatin. Sardine and onion sammiches are good too. What's that do for ya???  >:D

Well...it does give me a better visual. I'm ok now.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Cool! Thought I was gonna have to break out my Coleman Griddle for a bit there.  ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Ya gots to have a braunschweiger and onion on heavily buttered rye bread sammich, dontcha know!!! Follow up with some steaming hoy chicky noodle soup outta the thermos....yum!!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Ya gots to have a braunschweiger and onion on heavily buttered rye bread sammich, dontcha know!!! Follow up with some steaming hoy chicky noodle soup outta the thermos....yum!!  ;D

Well ya! But ya kin keep dat der butter, eh. Slather it in mustard wit a generous helping o' of horseradish for a true taste sensation.

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Nothing is better on a cold cay then sausage pepper and onions on the grill.   cook the peppers and onions at home bring in tin foil warm them out on the grill while cooking the sausage.  It is incredible.
.    I agree, loaded  hot sausage subs are the nut on the ice. We cook ours in deep pie tins. No dishes to wash when we get home.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Backstrap marinated in fajita marinade with onions and peppers...cooks  super quick...throw it on a tortilla and enjoy! :tipup:

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:15 PM »
After reading this I now am hungry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.