Author Topic: Made some sausages!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Made some sausages!
« on: Apr 25, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Friday night was a real blast, NOT!  I decided to make some sausages, jerky and smoke some trout, not smart all in one night!   :roll:

Anyways, I made about 30 lbs of fresh italian sausage from my deer, it turned out damn good, i have an older style of sausage stuffer so that was tricky, but luckily i had a buddy there to help me out.  I used my kitchen aid grinder attachment for the first time, and i have to say i was seriuosly impressed with it.

Since this was my first attempt at sausage by myself, without the supervision of my stepdad who is a pro.  I just used the hi mountain italian sausage kit, and left the cure out of it, because i didn't plan on smoking any of it.  when doing sausage or jerky, hi mountain is the way to go, the sausage kit came with the seasoning, cure, and casings.  all i had to do was add deer and pork butt. 

i also made a few pounds of jerky and smoked a few trout. 

the freezer is now full, i took a bunch of duck out of the fridge to smoke, any suggestions for a brine???

i wasn't real good at getting consistent length and girth till the last 15 lbs.

here are the trout, the skin peeled right off and the meat flaked right off the bone, i used a brown sugar rosemary brine and smoked with Mesquite wood chips, the fish tastes just like jerky, it was pretty damn good for my first attempt at smoking fish.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Made some sausages!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Looks like you did a great job...   Way to go...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35 AM »
Great job on those sausages Duneman, Good lookin eats right there !!

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  It's been well worth the time and effort.  I pulled another pack out of the freezer this morning for some homemade marinara!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.