Author Topic: Help us develop our NEW Family Fish Fry Recipe, PLEASE READ :-)  (Read 3221 times)

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings from Ottawa, ON. Go Sens Go !
Hi Gang

Ok, so newbie’s here have the hut on the ice as of yesterday, next week we drill holes then its "Game On" full contact fishing hahahahaha

We have an Uncle that has a "special recipe" and adds a few things here and there just to keep it all a mystery. Sigh!

We want to develop our own personal recipe. Momma, Poppa and Baby Bear want to come up with our own unique recipe! We fish Northern Pike (Quebec, Canada) and we want to have all 3 secret recipes ready for a "cook off"

Each person will have 1 pike in filleted into pieces for fish fry (what is correct term?)

We will try each other's and vote, the winner gets a $50 gift card (CDN, lol)
Momma: Likes something with a bit of bite,
Poppa: tasty not hot and spicy,
Baby: Lots of kick!

We will start with 2 cups of flour and cooked in hot oil for the same time - the rest is secret.

We don't want your recipe but would like to know what spices, preparation you do, and any other worldly knowledge you have!

All posts will be shared with the cooks and we will let you know all 3 recipes and who won :-)

Cook-off is Sunday 31st Jan. Hope you play and have fun with us!!!

D&T
B

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
Hi Gang

Ok, so newbie’s here have the hut on the ice as of yesterday, next week we drill holes then its "Game On" full contact fishing hahahahaha

We have an Uncle that has a "special recipe" and adds a few things here and there just to keep it all a mystery. Sigh!

We want to develop our own personal recipe. Momma, Poppa and Baby Bear want to come up with our own unique recipe! We fish Northern Pike (Quebec, Canada) and we want to have all 3 secret recipes ready for a "cook off"

Each person will have 1 pike in filleted into pieces for fish fry (what is correct term?)

We will try each other's and vote, the winner gets a $50 gift card (CDN, lol)
Momma: Likes something with a bit of bite,
Poppa: tasty not hot and spicy,
Baby: Lots of kick!

We will start with 2 cups of flour and cooked in hot oil for the same time - the rest is secret.

We don't want your recipe but would like to know what spices, preparation you do, and any other worldly knowledge you have!

All posts will be shared with the cooks and we will let you know all 3 recipes and who won :-)

Cook-off is Sunday 31st Jan. Hope you play and have fun with us!!!

D&T
B

gotta put in a tablespoon of cornstarch.  i also like to use acup of corn flour with a cup of all purpose flour.  a .25 tsp of baking powder and baking soda help as well.  Also use beer to make a batter make it very loose(thin)   Also like some garlic powder onion powder and Paprika in mine.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oh Man, what a great start !

And I just posted

You folks are amazing

D&T
B

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Equal parts of Italian Bread crumb, flour and corn meal. Add salt and pepper and other spices as per your preference. Dip fillets in a mixture of 2 cups of milk and a beaten egg. Add to breading mix contained in a one gallon zip lock bag. Shake. Remove breaded fillets and deep fry at 375F for a couple of minutes until golden brown and man am I getting hungry now!!!! :P
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
Well hre's my exact recipe feel free to use it.....
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal pulverized in a food chopper, spice mill, or coffee grinder ( don't skip very important)(or use corn flour and add a lil corn meal as well)1 tbsp corn starch
.25 tsp baking powder
.25 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
.25 tsp garlic powder ( or a lil more to taste)
.25 tsp onion powder  "    "    "   "  "   " "   "
.5 tsp paprika   """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk
then add water or beer till thin consistency approximately a cup
let rest in fridge for 10 mins
then add more liquid till it is  loose (thin)
dunk filets in and drop in 375˚  oil  ( I use a 12 inch chicken fryer or deep skillet something heavy that conducts heat well)  fry till golden brown and remove to a cookie sheet with a rack so fish doesn't lay in oil.  excess oil will drop to pan below  this is much better than paper towels.... 
It is very important to have the correct temp as to not get soggy fish  so use a deep fry thermometer
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
Instead of regular bread crumbs, try Panko bread crumbs or some type of crushed cereal like Corn Flakes or even Cap'n'Crunch.

I don't like to use many spices on fish since they usually have a delicate flavor.  If it's fishy/oily I might use typical spices like garlic powder, but really just prefer salt and pepper.

If I were to experiment I'd probably consider lemon pepper or chili flakes to add some flavor.  Maybe even try tumeric or mustard powder for something different. 

Sometimes I use Montreal steak spice, but that's usually on fried salmon steaks/fillets.

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
I know Xpressman uses crushed pretzels for breading. Its a great change from regular breadcrumbs.

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
So far it seems that bread crumbs (or replacements) and flour (or replacements/baking soda).

Any thoughts about spices ?

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ritz crackers for bread crumbs

Pork Rind or Bacon works great too, adds some awesome flavor to the fish.

Also I love using cinnamon and ginger as spices on fish

The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline WestBranchJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
This is the recipe I use. Its not mine it is Alton Browns'.

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Dash Old Bay Seasoning
1 bottle brown beer, cold
1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed whitefish cut into 1-ounce strips
Cornstarch, for dredging

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time.

Heat oil 350 degrees. Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack.

I use the same dry ingredients for smaller fish like gills and crappie but I omit the beer. I dredge in the cornstarch then an egg wash and then the seasoned flour. Then I fry. I do this because the beer batter can take more time to cook than the fish does and you can over cook the fish.

Offline HoleHpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help us develop our NEW Family Fish Fry Recipe, PLEASE READ :-)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:58 AM »
everglades seasoning... 'nuff said.
Suit Up!

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:47 AM »
This is nice and all but now I'm pretty hungry after reading these! 

Thanks

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Try Cajon Blast..Creole Seasoning.Found it at Gander Mt..we love it on our northens
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline fishseeker(mike)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I tried something new the other night, using just corn flour with a little salt & pepper(I to don't like a lot of seasoning on my fish).  Mix a couple eggs with some water or milk put your fish in that dredge in the flour and fry away. Very easy & DELICIOUS!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:37 PM »
1 cup Panko bread crumbs,
1/2 cup flour,
4 eggs, 1/2 cup milk,
1tsp Lawry's season salt,
1/2 tsp garlic powder,
1 tsp Tabasco sauce

Mix egg wash, eggs and milk and Tabasco in bowl.
Mix dry stuff in bowl, panco, flour, season salt, garlic powder.

Heat oil in Cast iron skillit, dip in egg wash, coat with dry ingredients, fry til golden brown...MMM,,,MMM,,,GOOD

This is my recipe that I have come up with and all of my friends love it. I hope you try it.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bigdaddydb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Instead of bread crumbs, try crushed Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips. 

roll fillet in flour or cornmeal

dunk in egg

roll in crushed ruffles

deep fry

cajun shake to season

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Equal parts of Panko bread crumbs and sweetend shreaded coconut.  Fry in peanut oil at 375 until golden brown.  Let drip on rake not paper towel, news paper works too.  Tater and/or pineapple ice cream topping for dipping (favorite hot sauce mixed in gives it a tasty kick)

DOne this with NpIke, crappie, Walleye, Pearch, Barracuda (pacific), Small Mouth Bass.  Next is smelt!!!

Crappie was the best!!!

now i'm hungry

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:39 PM »
I'm trying to keep up to you guys!   I like the thought of cajun, coconut not as much BUT I can see how that would be a great part of a recipe. I'm not a coconut fan however enjoy some of it - so who knows ......

The plain - enjoy the fish is - is also very cool.

Someone mentioned the Cook Off - so now we have a few more judges LOL. We will each have a marked plate (underneith) and when it comes  to judging - no one will know each others plate :-)

Photos are promised !

Please keep the thread alive

D&T

Offline ice wizard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rip Lippin'
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Well we are into February who one and how where thouse recipies

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:15 AM »
date=1068857868]
1/2lb bacon, diced
1c.each onion, celery, green and red pepper diced
1tsp. garlic, chopped
1/2tsp each white pepper, thyme, and oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
8c.chicken broth
1lb smoked sausage sliced 3/4"thick on the bias
1lb fish,1inch cubes
Saute' bacon and reserve. Heat bacon fat untill it just begins to smoke then add a equil amt. of flour whisk untill the roux turns the color of a brown paper bag
Add onions celery green and red peppersgarlic cayenne white pepper oregano the reserved bacon and chicken broth
Cook gently for about 15 min
Add the sausage and fish simmer gently for about 7min.
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Serve over cooked rice garnish Great with warm French bread This works good with any white meat fish Pike, Walleye, ect.
[/quote]

This isnt a fish fry but trust me on this. I use Pike for this and it is awsome. You can make it spicy with the red pepper (Cayenne) or keep it subtile. Very good gumbo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.