Author Topic: !!!!BE SAFE!!!!  (Read 16547 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
!!!!BE SAFE!!!!
« on: Nov 14, 2015, 07:11 AM »
With 1st ice being reported online. I just wanted to post up a safety reminder to all the ice addicts we have here as members and to those lurking for 1st ice. Try to not go alone, use the buddy system if possible. Always check the ice thickness regularly as your moving out onto the water. Drilling test holes as you go out is always a good idea to gage the good dark clear ice underneath the white soft stuff. Ice consistency can very from foot to foot so don't even ever think that you have the same thickness across the hole cap just cause you checked it by the shore. This process can take a few more minutes of your hard deck day but its worth it.

A spud/chisel bar is recommended highly and can be purchased for fairly cheap these days, if not that then an axe will work also.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2581713&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2581713&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1672209

A qood throw rope is a must to have. These bagged ones are great cause if packed right all you have to do is throw the bag at them, they take up hardly any space in your bucket and we also use it floating the river in the warm months if someone get separated from the raft or tube

$25 Emergency throw rope from cabelas

Ice picks are a must, I prefer this style because they store nice around your neck with the spikes protected in the handles when placed together. If they feel a little tight around your neck just stretch the bungee cord a few times and it helps

$5 ice picks from cabelas

Ice cleats are also good idea to use most of the ice season depending on where your fishing but ecspecially at the 1st when snow is not always present on the 1st ice caps. They range from $20 to $100 depending on your budget or requirement from previous slips/falls. I prefer the kahtoola micro ice spikes (these things grip awesome but are rather loud when walking. I really don't mind it wakes up the fish) and seen that yaktrax just released a similar version this year

Yaktrax XTR from cabelas

I have all of these products and for a total of under $80 for the stuff I listed above (with $20 cleats) its worth it to me. Purchase this stuff from where ever you choose, I just wanted to give everyone a visual picture of what I'm talking about. But by all means support our I.S. sponsors.  Feel free to add any tips to this post peoples.

BE SAFE!!!!! No life is worth chasing some fish   ><()()()>  ><()()()>

For your truck/car- having a change of clothes, shovel, tire chains, tow rope, water, phone charger/charged cell phone and a couple blankets is always a good idea. With a lot of our 1st ice lakes around here usually in the higher elevations the amount of snow/ice on the road can never be forseen and if you get stuck this stuff will be pretty critical in one way or another
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline y700

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: !!!!BE SAFE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Great post Musky,  I am sure we have all had some near misses on the ice.  Better safe than sorry.  Not worth it for fish.  I also have been thinking about those that have been found in tents full of carbon monoxide.  Best to check those heaters and make sure that vents are open and that the precautions are taken when heating those shacks.    Good luck everyone, tight lines. 

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Great post Musky and great reminder to think of the "other" equipment and supplies for the vehicle too. It doesn't take much to find yourself in a pickle. On the way to the Scofield tourney in 2015, we were the first vehicle to come upon an overturned car on HWY 6. As the young lady crawled out of the car in the ditch, we were glad that we had an extra coat and blankets to wrap her in for the 30 min it took the first responders to arrive.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Fishsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2016, 10:56 PM »
Thankful for my buoyant clothing today when 1 step took me from 3" to slush. Both feet went through up to my armpits but I floated like a cork.  Swam out no problem and continued fishing for a couple hours. Be safe and be prepared.

Offline Rhale1birdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Also a good thing is to have a partner and spread out. Don't both be walking Side by side. We also try and not be tied off to our sled just pulling it. 

Offline Rhale1birdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:38 AM »
I forgot the most important thing we do. We purchased the auto inflate Life jackets from cabales.. They are super comfy and you can put them on when walking out then take off re adjust after getting comfy in your tent.

Offline Rhale1birdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Also we carry a boat seat floatable. They are light weight fit in the bottom of the sled and you can us it to sit on for padding. Walmart has them pretty cheap. Easily thrown or you can slide them across the ice.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Its that time of year, so lets be safe. Here's a few guides/pics for ice thickness & safety that I have found looking around. Be safe everyone

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I still never drive my pickup on the ice. The ATV yes, carefully on less than a foot.

I did buy on sale a Cabelas self inflating life vest last Spring, $130 marked down from $180 Can't wait to try it out...Oops, to feel the comfort of wearing it. Has 40 pounds of lift, pretty maxed out, takes 12 to float a person. Has a panic pull cord which is for reasurance.  That might be a good topic for a thread, the life preserver thread.
Thread killer

Offline honker_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2017, 12:32 PM »
While a coiled rope is better than nothing a rescue rope in the bag is more accurate to throw . practice a few times and hope you never have to use it.
Be familiar with all your equipment before. A situation arrives. Be safe and good luck!

Offline Bygone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Feel like I need to bump this back up to the top with it being late in the season. I let my guard down yesterday at Pineview (near browning point) and ended up going through the ice. Luckily I was able to get out and back to the car to change into dry clothes without having to make the news. Be careful out there boys, it's not worth it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:06 AM »
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Thought it would be a good time to bump this as the lower elevation ice is going fast and planks will be needed to get on whats left. Use caution around the edges, pressure ridges and springs. If you dont have one I would highly recomend getting a spud bar. Early and late season are the best times to have one of these. It has saved me some from trouble on more than one occasion, thats for sure. Drill holes and check the amount of good clear black ice you have before venturing to far. This time of year the top layers will start deteriorating at a constant rate as long as the thermostat keeps climbing. Be safe everyone and check as you go
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:08 AM »
It's getting close for some to feed the 1st ice addiction so I thought I better bump this up, I've heard/seen pics of people getting on the ice in Wyo. Go prepared and stay safe everyone this season.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline michigan-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:22 AM »
Thanks for the reminder!

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:29 AM »
went out to check 3 weeks ago and put the Spud bar thru on the 3rd wack.... looked at my buddy still standing on shore with the throw rope and said "Nope". We went home alive.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Quoted from another site. Be safe out there as this ice season comes on thanks fish_fear_me2 on BFT utah

Please be careful on the ice.  Very little Ice and most of it is unsafe.

Call out:  Ice Rescue

When:  Sunday - 12/20/2020 - 11:20am

Where:  Strawberry Res.

What Happened:  Wasatch 911 dispatch center received a call from a group of people that were Ice fishing at Strawberry and where now an Iceberg flooting away from the bank.  Wasatch Search & Rescue and Wasatch EMS deployed to the area.  SAR was able to get our Ice Rescue team out to scene quickly and make sure the people were safe until our boat arrived.  3 adults and 1 dog were rescued and brought back to shore.  This could have ended very differently.  Please know how to read the Ice before you venture out this early in the season.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2023, 02:07 PM »
Warm weather and early ice is a bad combo, stay safe out there fellas!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.