Author Topic: Lonely  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lonely
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:53 PM »
was on a solid 7" today in Goshen, fishing was good, just saying.

ESOX, I went to Tyler Lake Saturday afternoon for my first ever ice fishing adventure and also had 7”, but we were only in 6 feet of water  ::) which I didn’t realize until we were a half hour into our brief hourlong trip. Shocker: No bites on minnows and waxy tipped jigs, but we obviously were not near any fish. There were a few groups further out but we were cautious rookies just learning for the day. Curious if you tried that lake and if so, what you caught. Good luck if you head back out. 

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:28 PM »
This past Monday we made the long drive from SE CT to Goshen too for our first and probably only ice outing for the season.  We ended up on West Side Pond.  I didn’t take an official measurement however I’d guess we were on about 8” of ice. It was a slow day but we managed to ice 3 pickerel with one being about 18” and also pulled up a couple small perch.  We were not disappointed at all because we were more excited to finally get out on the ice. 

I’ve been in the Griswold area for the past 14 years and 2020 is the first season in the 14 years where my local ponds hadn’t froze safe for at least a few days.  2019 was tough but we did manage to get a few weeks of safe ice on Beach Pond and a few other local waters. 

I guess we can hope 2021 will go back to normal.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2020, 04:03 AM »
glad you guys made it out. both west side and tyler hold good fish. west side would be my first choice. 10 degrees in goshen this morning, im expecting to find 10". ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2020, 10:57 AM »
ESOX, I went to Tyler Lake Saturday afternoon for my first ever ice fishing adventure and also had 7”, but we were only in 6 feet of water  ::) which I didn’t realize until we were a half hour into our brief hourlong trip. Shocker: No bites on minnows and waxy tipped jigs, but we obviously were not near any fish. There were a few groups further out but we were cautious rookies just learning for the day. Curious if you tried that lake and if so, what you caught. Good luck if you head back out.

I was out on Tyler last Saturday I had the red pop-up you probably saw me. We were catching bass,perch, a few bluegill (jigging), and pickerel pretty steady all day in 6-12 fow, most fish were in 8-10.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2020, 11:28 AM »
I was out on Tyler last Saturday I had the red pop-up you probably saw me. We were catching bass,perch, a few bluegill (jigging), and pickerel pretty steady all day in 6-12 fow, most fish were in 8-10.

Definitely saw a red pop-up.  Awesome that you had a productive day.  Newbury Archery recommended medium shiners.  Is that what you had luck with on the tip-ups?  If I get out there tomorrow to either Tyler or West Side, I'll try those depths. No pop-up for me yet but if anything I'll bring my gear out in a dark blue wagon since no snow in case anyone on the forum wants to say hey.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Off topic but since I'm new to the sport, could someone let me know what's reasonable in terms of how close one can set up next to another group? Both for jigging home base, and how close you'd drill a hole for tip-ups near someone else's tip-up. I don't want to be the guy who walks up to the urinal right next to someone when there are 10 more off to the side, but being a rookie, also want to be at a reasonably safe distance away so anyone in trouble (including myself) has help within reach. Thanks all.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2020, 12:01 PM »
Definitely saw a red pop-up.  Awesome that you had a productive day.  Newbury Archery recommended medium shiners.  Is that what you had luck with on the tip-ups?  If I get out there tomorrow to either Tyler or West Side, I'll try those depths. No pop-up for me yet but if anything I'll bring my gear out in a dark blue wagon since no snow in case anyone on the forum wants to say hey.

Yep pretty small shiners, 2-3 inch, and small jigs and spikes with the jig rod, got some perch and 1 bass jigging too. We didn't even need the pop up really, but it's fun to use for the limited amount of times we can get out this year.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Rooster, I hear ya. In Griswold also and it was disappointing this year but I was able to get out in town a few days. Also been out every week since the new year out east. Less than an hour drive each trip. It's out there!

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Hardfloor and rooster - any ice on the cove by the island on Ashland? I'm thinking maybe it made some ice this week but I can't drive up that way to check til Sunday

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2020, 04:56 PM »
I haven’t been by Ashland lately.  I drove by Hopeville on Wednesday on my way home and it was wide open.  The cove on Pachaug south of 165 is wide open too.  I’d imagine Ashland is that way.  I have a small 2 acre pond on my place and it only has maybe a quarter inch of ice.  If it were safe I’d be fishing that.

If I can make time and the weather cooperates I will try and get to Goshen one more time next Saturday.  This weekend is out for me. Good luck if you get out!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Thanks for the info.
I'm in the same boat: can't make it out this weekend but hoping the ice holds in the NW til next weekend. Or maybe a sick day this week.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Hooking - go to Google Images and search "if you can read this you're drilling too close." That about sums it up.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2020, 08:07 AM »
I’ve fished almost every weekend in Ct this year. Many days the only group on the ice. Happened again on Sunday.  My son and his pal wanted to make pickled pickerel, that’s why they kept the toothy ones. Bullhead was about 4 pounds.

Btw, late response but pretty sure your bullhead is a white cat. I think I can see a slight fork in the tail.
A 4 lb bullhead would be close to the state record.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:03 PM »
GW in CT. I can check Ashland in the am, but not thinking it locked up.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2020, 02:08 PM »
It was worth going out today. Didn’t get a line in until about 11 am, but around noon I caught my first ever fish through the ice  ;D Little guy chain pickerel (also my first pickerel). Posed for a picture and then swam off. Perfect weather too. Today was a good day.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Congrats

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Look and travel a few. There is 5 to 7 in the east. Goshen is for The weak!

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:30 PM »
I'm done for the season cause of this hand surgery. There is ice in the east!!!!!!

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:33 PM »
You guys need to find the honey spots.  I've had a great year in the east!!!!;

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2020, 07:46 PM »
I even caught and a released a big walleye around 7 lbs.  This season sucked but there ice is Out there!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:45 AM »

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Still going strong

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Yeah.... in NH! lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Yeah.... in NH! lol

Good to meet you.  Even where we were that ice was getting soft...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:59 AM »
You too.  Thanks again for the tips. 

Yeah, there was a big difference between 6am and 4pm.  Ice seems to be going fast, everywhere.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:47 AM »
You're welcome.  Yes it is.  I think I had a water temp of 40-41 about a foot under the ice.  Sun is strong already.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:57 AM »
You have had a hell of a season Ken.  Your laker slaying skills are exceptional.  Were you in the car when rotha totaled it?

My skills have improved dramatically thanks to you sharing knowledge and spending time with people you dont have to, it is greatly appreciated  ;D

I was not in the car, he had someone else in there with him. I saw where it happened, he is really lucky no one got hurt.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Look and travel a few. There is 5 to 7 in the east. Goshen is for The weak!
Goshen ice has one more weekend in her ;)

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 29, 2020, 05:20 AM »
Do it

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:58 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com