Author Topic: The one that ALMOST got away  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Handberrydea

• IceShanty Rookie
The one that ALMOST got away
« on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:46 AM »
I went out to a big fish lake last weekend with about thirty dollars worth of 8 inch suckers. My buddy and I got about 7 flags but could not convert on any of them for some reason. It was a weird bite and the one fish that we had on broke my friends main line. Just as we were about to pack up a flag popped. Learning from our previous mistakes we let this one eat it for a while before setting the hook. He went on a run, sat, went on another run and my buddy set the hook. We could see the fish through the black ice and we knew that it was a potential pb. As my buddy tried to grab him with his clippers the line broke right at the hole. And then this happened.....

[/youtube]

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The one that ALMOST got away
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:52 AM »
Incredible battle, nice video!

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:08 AM »
That's a nice fish.

BUT there is plenty of information out there about the danger of a vertical hold, especially on a big pike.

Anyone fishing for the larger predators needs to read up on it.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/proper-hold-for-pikemuskie/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Great save regardless of others overstated opinions on how to hold a pike. 

Offline shoey19663

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:21 AM »
Nice catch and video guys

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Great save regardless of others overstated opinions on how to hold a pike.
overstated opinion is an understatement, good fish.   

Offline tjb22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Nice fish!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2020, 12:44 PM »
overstated opinion is an understatement, good fish.

I'm being nice.  It's one thing to respect the fish, I think most do.  Its entirely different if the reaction to everyone success posted here comes with preaching...that gets old quick.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2020, 12:48 PM »
As my buddy tried to grab him with his clippers the line broke right at the hole. And then this happened.....

Do you guys buy lottery tickets?   :clap: :bow:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2020, 01:36 PM »
I'm being nice.  It's one thing to respect the fish, I think most do.  Its entirely different if the reaction to everyone success posted here comes with preaching...that gets old quick.

Agreed.

Offline Handberrydea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Haha we definitely didn’t deserve to land that fish

Do you guys buy lottery tickets?   :clap: :bow:

Offline Handberrydea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2020, 01:42 PM »

I agree, they say that the vertical hold And Bogas are not the best for pike. Fish handling is important to me so I’ll work making a better example for future anglers. Thanks for watching and tight lines!

That's a nice fish.

BUT there is plenty of information out there about the danger of a vertical hold, especially on a big pike.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/proper-hold-for-pikemuskie/

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:24 PM »
I agree, they say that the vertical hold And Bogas are not the best for pike. Fish handling is important to me so I’ll work making a better example for future anglers. Thanks for watching and tight lines!
Just keep doing what you're doing! You are not going to do any harm to the fish for the little amount time you are holding it like that. I have yet to see one definitive scientific study that proves we hurt fish by holding like we do. Everything is a "Hypothesis" or uneducated guess. And yes, I've read many articles and watched many video's on the subject and they all basically say what they "think" is happening. I want to see a study where they take a 6 lb bass, grab it by the jaw and hold it at a 45 degree angle. Do this once a day for 5 years and show me the damage and then maybe I'll change my tune. Until then, Keep rippin those lips!

Nice fish btw!!

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Nice fish but terrible execution. A hand bomb would of landed that fish much easier screw the boga grips. Almost cost a nice catch a few times guess that's why theres 20 to 30 lb pike in ct

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2020, 03:21 PM »
That's a nice fish.

Geez you should just post that link in your signature since it seems you find the need to share it on every pike post on this website..JUST FOR YOU next time ill drill a 4ft by 4ft hole in the ice so i can fit my massive net in the water to ensure no pike is harmed next time i go ice fishing.. Hit me up next time you go out Id love to go fishing with you i want to see your method of bringing a 35'' pike thru a hole horiztonally of course, without boga grips (wouldnt want to harm their jaws, but grabbing their gills OK), and then take the hook out (i assume circle hooks def cant use trebles those are horrible for the fish). OH! and we should keep the cameras rolling all day... cause don't wanna leave the fish out of the water for too long trying to get a pic could freeze their gills/eyes and its bad for the fishs health to take them out of the water because they cant breathe the same air as us... I gotta say you pike fisherman are almost worse than the trout salmon guys.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Nice job and nice fish spite what other people have to say 😀😂

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2020, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Nice fish. Keep the vids coming, top shelf stuff.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Awesome fish man, you did what you could under the Circumstances.  It’s def tough pulling fish that size thru the ice.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:10 PM »
Good fish very lucky.All the criticism is why I don't post pics or videos.anymore.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:07 AM »
very cool..video..way to just say screw it and dive to the hole.i did that once almost  to my elbow but not with a pike...huge smallie

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:34 AM »
crazy save.  Those boga grips can absolutely sabotage a landing. better than a bloody hand i guess.  I found better success with the plastic plyer style grips like the "fish grip".  Strong work

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:41 AM »
 :clap: :thumbsup: :cookoo:

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:02 AM »
crazy save.  Those boga grips can absolutely sabotage a landing. better than a bloody hand i guess.  I found better success with the plastic plyer style grips like the "fish grip".  Strong work

Mouth was closed I don't think any gripper would have worked, just gotta mandhandle'em.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Worst thing you can do is go through life carein what someone else says live your own life

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Worst thing you can do is go through life carein what someone else says live your own life

I think the worst thing you can do is be the guy who feels the need to criticize how others fish.  Just sayin.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Nice one! I’m sure that pike was fine, it didn’t thrash around and it wasn’t a heavy fish. I can see where Jebra is coming from though, I’ve caught several pike and muskie with a split or broken jaw from lip grippers. I use a boga or a glove to land big fish especially though thicker ice but I haven’t heald a fish up with the boga for years because I’ve seen the damage it can do. I use a carp weigh sling now for weighing them and keeping them off the ice. I think if you are planning on releasing the fish you should try to get it back in the water with as little damage as possible.

Offline jelp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Nice catch and amazing save!

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Wow great video nice fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor