Author Topic: Zoar  (Read 5765 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Zoar
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:01 AM »
the "other" fish in lilly will have little to no effect on it"s pike population. the two spices occupy a different nitch in the ecosystem. 90% of the tigers ive caught in a ct lake were caught over deeper water half way down. hopefully one of these next few years we will get some good ice on lilly. got my eyes on a couple areas that i would never set up for pike.

That's not what I mean Rich.  I'm talking about the association doing weed treatments/removal, kind of like Park. 

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:17 AM »
gotcha, after years of fighting, woodridge lake will be chemically treated this summer. then stocked with grass carp.  ??? ???

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:40 PM »
gotcha, after years of fighting, woodridge lake will be chemically treated this summer. then stocked with grass carp.  ??? ???

The worst.  I hate lake associations for that very reason.  Idiots will stock tigers and then kill their habitat. 

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:07 PM »
It's likely the same thiamine deficiency that is problematic for salmonids.

That's it couldn't remember what it was called lol
Go big or go home

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:28 AM »
Interesting thread. This has been a good read. The very first place I got a fish through the ice about 35 years ago was there in part to Joe and Pete at Dees bait and tackle. Used to fish the heck out of the place, when we had ice. I have eaten fish in the past out of lilly, zoar, housatonic and lower. If pcb is really a concern, then it wouldn’t make sense to stock walleyes there?  Then again I never ate a lot, and haven’t consumed a fish from there in like 20 years or so.

On the other hand, as previously mentioned, there are so many stunted perch it seems like the walleyes would thrive there and in lilly.
Too bad the state couldn’t raise walleye like they do trout. Seems like trout just die off in 90 percent of CT lakes, if they don’t get caught or eaten by predators (cormorants osprey etc) before warm water kills them off in Summer.

Seems like if a walleye could grow/reach 13” or so it would be able to grow much larger and be a sustainable fish to catch for 5-7 years or more? You guys would know better then I.
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.