Author Topic: End of season results- eye vs no eye  (Read 3053 times)

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
End of season results- eye vs no eye
« on: Mar 15, 2022, 08:36 PM »
Some of you may recall the thread I started before the season about using a Mepps Cyclops and other spoons/jigs on tip ups. It was brought up that eyed spoons/jigs could spook the natural instincts of some fish and drive them away. So, I figured it would be worth the experiment to see if the eye matters when setting a tip up with something besides the typical hook and shiner/worm/other baits. I did not take an exact count of how many trips I took, but I would say it’s reasonable to say two trips each week since Jan 15.

KEEP IN MIND THESE RESULTS ONLY REFLECT EYED SPOON/JIG VS NO EYED SPOON/JIG… some days these worked better than classic tip up set up of hook and shiner; some days they worked worse. I can definitely attest to the extra flashiness bringing action on slow days but can also say when the bite was hot the classic set up seemed to perform better.

So here are the results (each was fished equally):
BRT= brook trout; RBT= rainbow trout; BT= brown trout; PICK= chain pickerel; P= Yellow Perch; PS= pumpkinseed; LMB= largemouth bass; SMB= smallmouth bass; NP= Northern Pike
Eye- purple tungsten jig OR cyclops; both set with shiner, tungsten jig set with mealworm occasionally
1 BRT
1 RBT
1 BT
7 PICK
3 P
1 PS
2 SMB

No eye- orange/silver slender spoon and gold slender spoon; both set with shiner
2 RBW
12 P
11 PICK
1 LMB
1 SMB
1 NP

Looking forward to what you folks have to say about this. I was quite frankly surprised by how much more action the “no eye” set up brought. The folks who said the eye matters seem to be onto something.

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: End of season results- eye vs no eye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2022, 05:03 AM »
I actually had great success this year, especially with Brown Trout, using a ball jig with an "eye" and a live minnow on my tip ups. Many times this year I fished next to my brother in law. I was catching fish and he wasn't. I had him change to the set up I was using and he started catching more fish. For me, a medium shiner on a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce ball jig with an "eye" and an 8lb flouro leader about 3 ft long was magic sauce this year. I mostly targeted Browns this year and pulled several 3-4 pounders through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.