New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339886 times)

Offline lfthzmrk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11400 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good access point for a guy who has to walk with his gear?  I am headed in from Rochester and trying to plan my trip. Would like to target a few lakers. Never caught any of them through the ice.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11401 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:59 PM »
Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good access point for a guy who has to walk with his gear?  I am headed in from Rochester and trying to plan my trip. Would like to target a few lakers. Never caught any of them through the ice.
This is a very broad question lakers can be caught on George rn from 5 feet to 180 they are moving up shallower following smelt but plenty fish still deep eating Cisco’s or in the perch bays eating them find the food and you will find the trout usually the fish are all over the lake set some tip ups (set correctly) and you should have a laker or two by the days end

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11402 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:42 AM »
Sorry to here that. George is infested with lakers. We don`t have any problems finding them...

Last time I was there 1 week ago I caught 37 and the largest was over 30".  Sure the lake gets pressure and this year has been exceptional but no excuses as Red said the place is literally packed with cookie cutters between 23-25". 

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11403 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:50 AM »
I also am Coming to george  ( mlb) for the first time this week .  Are the conditions off the beach good for 4 wheeler travel  ?   also  where's a good spot for breakfast coming up Rt 9
     Thanks everyone    stay safe

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11404 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Do the guys who target Lakers tend to fish more shallow as it gets closer to and into March? Also would anyone recommend downsizing in the bait/lure presentation or go bigger due to more activity? I had a lot of chasers the other day in 70-75 fow but nobody was committing.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #11405 on: Feb 28, 2021, 03:41 PM »
This is a very broad question lakers can be caught on George rn from 5 feet to 180 they are moving up shallower following smelt but plenty fish still deep eating Cisco’s or in the perch bays eating them find the food and you will find the trout usually the fish are all over the lake set some tip ups (set correctly) and you should have a laker or two by the days end
Yes Sir. ;)
Master Laker taker.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11406 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Fished Fri-Sun and the bite was decent for us between 80-120', mostly on swimbaits.  Prospecting was a bit difficult due to the EXTENSIVE tip-up sets of guys who set at maximum distance on every side of their huts to try to box everyone out of fairly large structures.  NO SHARING at LG and guys get real angry if you get near their tip-ups.....  This is for fun fellas.  You can have adult conversations with people without threatening them and being a-holes.   I am releasing them all anyway so you can eat them later.... ::)  Would love to see how some of these guys would handle the "etiquette" at Oneida. 

Overall, beautiful as always and fun to get on some lakers!  First and only ice trip this year until spring for some open water fun. 

Hope everyone got on some good ones!  Size was pretty much lacking for us, but we did manage a few respectable specimen.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11407 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Fished Fri-Sun and the bite was decent for us between 80-120', mostly on swimbaits.  Prospecting was a bit difficult due to the EXTENSIVE tip-up sets of guys who set at maximum distance on every side of their huts to try to box everyone out of fairly large structures.  NO SHARING at LG and guys get real angry if you get near their tip-ups.....  This is for fun fellas.  You can have adult conversations with people without threatening them and being a-holes.   I am releasing them all anyway so you can eat them later.... ::)  Would love to see how some of these guys would handle the "etiquette" at Oneida. 

Overall, beautiful as always and fun to get on some lakers!  First and only ice trip this year until spring for some open water fun. 

Hope everyone got on some good ones!  Size was pretty much lacking for us, but we did manage a few respectable specimen.

That sucks regarding the tip up guys.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11408 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:29 PM »
That sucks regarding the tip up guys.

It was all good.  We tried to be respectful but at the same time wanted to try some new spots we found on Navi and some old favorites (NOT based on where guys were set up).  We were out before the sun too, so not as if we strolled in late.  We did find some new spots so that will help for future trips.  Gotta get a hotel more north and try up in the narrows next time.  Been fishing LG for years on open water and never really ventured too far up.  Looks like some great structure up there too.  Not sure if it will be more or less crowded and if we will still need to get up at 4am to find parking.  Three days in a row of that takes a toll.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11409 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:38 PM »

Just insanity! A couple years back I had a guy pull that crap on me at LG. He claimed he was a guide and I was moving in on him lol. He set tip ups near me (literally on top of me) after he set up. Slightly irritated by his tactics I chose to move away from his spread and Keep in mind I was on the lake in that location hours before him. I’m 45 and have been ice fishing since I could walk. I know all about fishing etiquette.
I stated to him these are public waters and I’ll fish where I choose to and It wouldn’t  be near him. I’m the first one to fish away from the crowds but am always happy to help a newcomer.  These people are beyond clueless....

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11410 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:08 AM »
I had a brush with the same type of people out of sawmill couple years ago. Guys thought the whole area outside green island was theirs ☹️ Started hootn holleren an we were 100 yds from his last tip . I ignored him stayed flipped down n gave em a show on how it’s done😎!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11411 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:20 AM »
Do the guys who target Lakers tend to fish more shallow as it gets closer to and into March? Also would anyone recommend downsizing in the bait/lure presentation or go bigger due to more activity? I had a lot of chasers the other day in 70-75 fow but nobody was committing.
Yea and no some fish don’t follow shallow just seems like your dealing with educated fish who have seen lures n baits couple too many times

Fishmon

« Reply #11412 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:43 AM »
If you target lake trout just remember the lake is 32 miles long and there are literally hundreds of places with structure that they like.  I didn't have anyone within a half mile of where I was yesterday and guess what - lake trout were there also. :)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11413 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:51 AM »
If you target lake trout just remember the lake is 32 miles long and there are literally hundreds of places with structure that they like.  I didn't have anyone within a half mile of where I was yesterday and guess what - lake trout were there also. :)

Well said.  I hate fishing near a crowd
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11414 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:02 AM »
lake is 32 miles long

Yes I was reminded of this quite a few times....  You are bound to an area by the access you choose to launch from.  I am not running 20 miles as the ices gets softer by the hour.  That would not be a very smart idea.  Agree that I also prefer to fish away from crowds in an ideal scenario.  We were trying to get our buddy hooked on lake trout fishing, and it was his first trip.  Cannot spend all day prospecting and come away with no fish.  Had to try a few confidence spots for a little while.  We were around people for about 30 minutes each time and just listened to them complaining about the 32 mile lake the whole time....  Oneida is 20 miles long and guys will fish your holes for you if you let them.  Was just interesting to see the differences in what people consider as "allowed" on different waters in NY.  Demeanor and attitude of these guys was piss-poor.  I do this for fun.  I will gladly let anyone fish near me if you want!   

Offline donald krutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11415 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Years ago I fished Oneida and Lake George. I noticed a difference in the demeanor of the fishermen on the two lakes. Fishermen on Oneida were more "blue collar". They were more tolerant of other fishermen and almost invited others to fish next to them. However, on Lake George many fisherman had a more elitist attitude. If you got within 100 yards of them they acted as if they owned the lake. Simply an observation and certainly not true of all fishermen.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11416 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:24 AM »
It probably has a bit to do with LGs proximity to downstate/NJ/CT (no offense IowaCchord).  Not to many downstaters making the run to oneida if I had to take a guess.  The upstate crowd tends to be a bit more friendly.  Any lake within a stones throw of the northway is subject to the downstate invasion, clash of cultures.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11417 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:40 AM »
It probably has a bit to do with LGs proximity to downstate/NJ/CT (no offense IowaCchord).  Not to many downstaters making the run to oneida if I had to take a guess.  The upstate crowd tends to be a bit more friendly.  Any lake within a stones throw of the northway is subject to the downstate invasion, clash of cultures.

The few times I have heard people complain about having people setup to close or general whining have been locals to the lake. They somehow feel that having out of state people is a negative thing when they actually pay for goods and services once they are up there. Gas, food, bait, lodging, tolls, it all adds up.

Ive run 4 hrs to hit bodies of water in NY and Vermont. Ive yet to hear a vermonter whine about people out of state. Im sure ot happens. Ove just not been exposed to it.

But I agree. Most downstaters will make the run to george due to it being closer than say schroon.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11418 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:48 AM »
The few times I have heard people complain about having people setup to close or general whining have been locals to the lake. They somehow feel that having out of state people is a negative thing when they actually pay for goods and services once they are up there. Gas, food, bait, lodging, tolls, it all adds up.

Ive run 4 hrs to hit bodies of water in NY and Vermont. Ive yet to hear a vermonter whine about people out of state. Im sure ot happens. Ove just not been exposed to it.

But I agree. Most downstaters will make the run to george due to it being closer than say schroon.

No doubt, it def does seem like the large tip up spreads are often tended by angry locals.  'Merica.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #11419 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:03 AM »
VT allows 8 tip ups on the inland lakes and 15 on Champlain. Combine that with population and generally room to spread out unless you have to fish close to the access.
I had a guy VT mouth off going to kill me etc as I made a mistake and set up a tip up in blowing snow at 4am near one of his. I moved that one tip up but over 40 years that was a once and done. Like others on this site, i prefer setting up real early away from the crowds.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11420 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:26 PM »
No doubt, it def does seem like the large tip up spreads are often tended by angry locals.  'Merica.
Most people “local” what ever you want to call that definition feel it’s a competition thing and they will catch less fish I think it comes down too also might come down to a respect thing everyone’s close might be different I usually wouldn’t want to fish within a 100 yards of others to begin with

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11421 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:03 AM »
Most people “local” what ever you want to call that definition feel it’s a competition thing and they will catch less fish I think it comes down too also might come down to a respect thing everyone’s close might be different I usually wouldn’t want to fish within a 100 yards of others to begin with

You might not want to fish within 100 yards of other people but i know that other people LOVE to fish within 100 yards of you hahahaha

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11422 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:06 AM »
You might not want to fish within 100 yards of other people but i know that other people LOVE to fish within 100 yards of you hahahaha
Hehehe Especially true on the north end of schroon or when mr.hill is around

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11423 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:32 AM »
To me it all depends on how deep I am Fishing if I am only in 20' of water 50' away is Fine if I am in 160 foot of water then I would appreciate 200feet away. But there is no law. Had a Forest Ranger drill 10 feet away and told me he knew he was close but he was only jigging Smelt. turned out to be a Nice guy.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11424 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:47 AM »
I was hole hopping and already had like 30 holes dug out for perch.  I had a guy come and literally start jigging my holes 20ft from me.....I was on my way out so i didn't say anything but on a normal day I would have been PISSED!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11425 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:59 AM »
To me it all depends on how deep I am Fishing if I am only in 20' of water 50' away is Fine if I am in 160 foot of water then I would appreciate 200feet away. But there is no law. Had a Forest Ranger drill 10 feet away and told me he knew he was close but he was only jigging Smelt. turned out to be a Nice guy.

Very valid point. I wasn’t going to comment but I just have to voice it.

Depth is key when talking about people who have a large spread. If your fishing 75’ of water, you can’t have traps set up 10’ apart.

Yes I know people will expand their spread to eliminate intruders/other fisherman, there are time when a wide spread is necessary

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11426 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:07 PM »
Maybe NY needs to decrease the number of lines allowed while ice fishing to two or three.  Imagine the uproar if that proposal ever came to the table :roflmao:.  Would bring a whole new meaning to "angry locals" ::)

Just for some reference here are the number of lines allowed while ice fishing in some other states, obviously ive cherry picked the states with more strict limits but the first two are ice fishing meccas.  West of the Mississippi you dont really see tip up spreads, everyone just jigs with sonar.

Minnesota: 2
Wisconsin: 3
Michigan: 3
North Dakota: 3
Montana: 2
Colorado: 2

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11427 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Maybe NY needs to decrease the number of lines allowed while ice fishing to two or three.  Imagine the uproar if that proposal ever came to the table :roflmao:.  Would bring a whole new meaning to "angry locals" ::)

Just for some reference here are the number of lines allowed while ice fishing in some other states, obviously ive cherry picked the states with more strict limits but the first two are ice fishing meccas.  West of the Mississippi you dont really see tip up spreads, everyone just jigs with sonar.

Minnesota: 2
Wisconsin: 3
Michigan: 3
North Dakota: 3
Montana: 2
Colorado: 2

I was in shock when I moved here from Minnesota at how many lines were allowed.
Growing up there it made us be better fisherman being limited to the “2”.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11428 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Very valid point. I wasn’t going to comment but I just have to voice it.

Depth is key when talking about people who have a large spread. If your fishing 75’ of water, you can’t have traps set up 10’ apart.

Yes I know people will expand their spread to eliminate intruders/other fisherman, there are time when a wide spread is necessary

I get it and it makes sense from a prospecting perspective too if you want to find the active zone on a given structure. For me, it’s just too much maintenance and I like to move around. Set lines hinder mobility. 

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11429 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:11 PM »
I was hole hopping and already had like 30 holes dug out for perch.  I had a guy come and literally start jigging my holes 20ft from me.....I was on my way out so i didn't say anything but on a normal day I would have been PISSED!

If I am by myself I really have no issue with it if the guy asks  hey can I fish close do u mind??. sometimes the more lines in jigging the better for me to keep the school nearby and feeding. too many times I start pounding them and cant get baited up and back down and they take off. had a guy a few weeks ago with a spud pounding holes open I just asked him to come over use my drilled holes as his pounding holes open was giving me a headache!!  my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.