The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: This used to be my favorite website. Things really Died down. What happened?  (Read 14769 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Let’s also mention the majority of new members are millennials that want an experience and instant gratification when they go on the ice, they don’t want to just sit there all day and put the time in, it needs to be instant success
it's not about when you were born it's about how you were raised.i was born in 85 so technically a millennial, but I was raised by my grandparents, so I wasn't raised like one.
But that aside Most people in life are selfish and rude. I've worked in automotive customer service my whole adult life and people are just nasty...even some of the ones who fish.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
it's not about when you were born it's about how you were raised.i was born in 85 so technically a millennial, but I was raised by my grandparents, so I wasn't raised like one.
But that aside Most people in life are selfish and rude. I've worked in automotive customer service my whole adult life and people are just nasty...even some of the ones who fish.

Truth be told here... spot on.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've met a lot of old dudes on the ice and asked them where they're from, how they heard about the spot, etc. And most of the time they aren't local and heard about it on Facebook. I really don't think its an age thing at all. Post a trophy fish with location online and I'll bet you its not just young guys there the next day.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've met a lot of old dudes on the ice and asked them where they're from, how they heard about the spot, etc. And most of the time they aren't local and heard about it on Facebook. I really don't think its an age thing at all. Post a trophy fish with location online and I'll bet you its not just young guys there the next day.
This old dude's never been on face book.. and never will be.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I met someone named Will on the counterpart of this website, Myfishfinder,  and even though we had never met before he took me out for a few hours on his boat on pristine Quabbin reservoir in Massachusetts. No way could I have launched my boat even though I had it with me, as no kayaks are allowed there, and even regular boats have to be steam cleaned and inspected on certain dates.

This was while I was on vacation 850 miles from my home. He refused compensation. So yes I have met some good people on these forums and even Facebook.

On Facebook I can block all the rude jerks and have done so with over 70. Now my page is friends only and very tranquil. At times I wish I could have blocked a few here and on Myfishfinder.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This old dude's never been on face book.. and never will be.

If you start posting on facebook I stop fishin with ya Joe... ok, maybe not but you know what I mean lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Been on here for 6 years or so. Definitely seems a bit slower than it was back then but there's still decent activity once the ice gets here. A couple things that I think have effected some of the posting are the increased popularity of facebook groups. I know the adirondacks have 4-6 different groups at least talking about ice fishing conditions. Some of those groups have 15k+ people. Ice fishing has also increased in popularity and with that, decreased participation in groups such as these. Most people I know have been burned at one point or another after trying to help a stranger and dont lose that foul taste in their mouth very quickly. With more people, more pressure comes, fishing success tends to decrease, and spots/ early ice all become that more competitive. I know im much less open than i was back then. That being said, without sites like these, i wouldn't have met a majority of people that i absolutely love fishing with regularly and who also showed me the ropes when i was a greenhorn. Always will be thankful for the IS community 

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Though I joined here in 2009, I only really started using the site a couple years ago. That was after a couple local fishing forums dwindled down to a fraction of what they were 10-15 years ago. Mostly because of people moving to Facebook and Instagram. I'm still surprised by the number of ice anglers still on here everyday.

Most teens and young adults these days have little patience for this kind of thing, with pic sharing and resulting "likes" being the new m.o. The resulting explosion of people ice fishing was only compounded by our idiotic govt to impose some of the strictest covid shutdowns on the continent.

Personally, I'm off Facebook since a few months, save for the few odd occasions I got on there to check some early ice reports in targeted groups. Simply too much of a time vacuum, and wasted energy dealing with stupid people arguing politics, or posting pictures of every meal they eat.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I have no issues with the site in its current formate or how it was back in the day.  I even offered to buy the site from Scott.  Something Im still interested in.  If Reddit (essentially a giant forum) can exist so can IceShanty.  The site needs SEO enhancements so that it comes up in any search related to ice fishing.  Also, a few of the surfcasting forums I use to visit had strict anti spot burning policies.  Those are good measures to protect specific locations from being overtly exploited when good reports roll in.  End of the day if someone doesnt like it here, the door isnt locked from the inside.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  ....if someone doesnt like it here, the door isnt locked from the inside.

I guess ultimately that's the answer to the question "what happened to the forum?".

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I guess ultimately that's the answer to the question "what happened to the forum?".

Lets look at it from a different angle....see new sponsors?  Yup bunch of them.  Why would a business pay ad money on a dying site?  There's still enough traction here for it to be profitable and the number of sponsors show that. 

I agree with what was posted earlier, there may not be enough instant gratification material to win over new users but that depends on what types of users you are trying to attract.  I know more people who fish that never and will never touch social media.  They have a home here.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac

If you start posting on facebook I stop fishin with ya Joe... ok, maybe not but you know what I mean lol...

Theres a better chance of AA  telling   a certain "tattle tale" " he's sorry than me, looking at, joining or posting on FB.. ain't gonna happen...

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Lets look at it from a different angle....see new sponsors?  Yup bunch of them.  Why would a business pay ad money on a dying site?  There's still enough traction here for it to be profitable and the number of sponsors show that. 

I agree with what was posted earlier, there may not be enough instant gratification material to win over new users but that depends on what types of users you are trying to attract.  I know more people who fish that never and will never touch social media.  They have a home here.

Good points. Would also like to add that this site has to have the biggest and most collectively experienced group of die hard ice warriors in North America, and probably the entire planet. Not everyone is here trying to look for quick and easy info on the latest hot spots.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Very well said.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
x2   :clap: :flex: :thumbsup:
 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular

I never thought of it that way. I suppose you're right.
IS is still pretty big. Some of the sub forums are busy. Obviously enough to be profitable as you said.

I guess if some of the regional forums taper off to just being the same half a dozens guys it doesn't really matter so long the other forums draw enough hits to make $$$.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Good points. Would also like to add that this site has to have the biggest and most collectively experienced group of die hard ice warriors in North America, and probably the entire planet. Not everyone is here trying to look for quick and easy info on the latest hot spots.

Agree completely.  Ice warriors, nice touch!

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Everyone thinks they have The Spot and are so worried it will be burnt. Additionally try asking for help about ice conditions you’ll get lectured about how you need to drive to check spots on your own and burn your own gas. somethings been lost. Kind of thought that was the point of the site to share information and help each other out

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I was here back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Then we moved and opened a convenience store and cafe". It took all our time so no fishing and I stayed away. I came back after we sold and the dynamic of this site has changed, i think all the social platforms changed that. This is still a great site or I would not have paid to be here and continued to just surf free.

Yes, ice conditions are not given as freely as they once were. Was nice to know without driving 2 hours to only find out its a no go, but at the same time, spots with early ice are not getting flooded with people like they were.

Information pertaining to our sport is still given freely and I have gained a wealth of knowledge that would have taken years of trial and error to have acquired. For this I thank you all.

Years ago, if you told 1 person about a hot bite, 3 may show up. Now with all the networking, you tell 1, and hordes of people are flocking to the spot. We have done it to ourselves allowing the generations coming up that they are entitled to everything with no effort or work needs to be put forth.

Rant over, tight lines everyone and hope to meet some of you on the ice.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Yup, I posted on a local small site about a quiet hot spot...next day it looked like this. Social media, baa.   >:(

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Everyone thinks they have The Spot and are so worried it will be burnt. Additionally try asking for help about ice conditions you’ll get lectured about how you need to drive to check spots on your own and burn your own gas. somethings been lost. Kind of thought that was the point of the site to share information and help each other out

This is just wrong and part of the issue imo, for all the reasons mentioned below about crowds and personal responsibility.  It’s my job to figure out what ice conditions are at a given place then give you the all clear to bring your crew? Wrong

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Yes!stop the entitlement mentality.find your own spots and become a better fisherman for the effort.

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
You guys couldn’t have made my point any better. Where’s the brotherhood. Have no sense of entitlement personally just always looking to help a fellow fisherman.

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Additionally you could always try something different and help a fellow human being it feels great.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Yes!stop the entitlement mentality.find your own spots and become a better fisherman for the effort.

What irks me is some knob asks "is the ice thick enough at wingnut lake?" Good god, yer gonna maybe trust yer life to what someone posts on the internet??! That's why folks fall thru the ice! You want to fish it, get out there and check it out! Don't ask social media for facts !  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Additionally you could always try something different and help a fellow human being it feels great.

AOC would be proud, I stand by what I said, not my responsibility to do the work for you, happy to discuss rigging, and the ins and outs but ask me to post where and how much on a public forum no chance

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You guys couldn’t have made my point any better. Where’s the brotherhood. Have no sense of entitlement personally just always looking to help a fellow fisherman.

Really..brotherhood.. you mean the clown and flying monkey show that shows up with a half a dozen guys,parks in front of people's houses, blocks entrances, peppers the area 6' from you, leaves dead fish on the ice and mounds of trash everywhere.. Oh THAT brotherhood

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Really..brotherhood.. you mean the clown and flying monkey show that shows up with a half a dozen guys,parks in front of people's houses, blocks entrances, peppers the area 6' from you, leaves dead fish on the ice and mounds of trash everywhere.. Oh THAT brotherhood

^^like

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I post alot here and would like to think half are tips and techniques that guys could use and go out and catch fish,however im not into dropping a hot bite or lake name on the web.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.