New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Predictions  (Read 17780 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Predictions
« Reply #120 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:22 PM »
now i  been ice  fishing  many a year  and   i use to  fish  Owasco lake many years  ago  and  most  years it wasn't  good  ice  many  you  couldn't  fish  and  i'm talking  35  years  ago  ....

do i  think  there is  climate  change   yeah  it changes   year to  year   always  has  but the  perch  spawn  in march the  salmon  start the first push in late   aug   deer  still  go in rut in  oct  bullheads  run in april  ....  nothing has  changed  warm  winter  here  south carolina  record  cold  ...it all evens  out  ...we  even still have  polar ice  caps and   new york  city is  not under water..... and  if  global warming was  true  theres  nothing  you  or  i can  do about it so why  worry ....... i say  go fishing when ya  can   buddy  and  everyone  has to believe in  something  ...i  believe i'm  going to get up and get a  beer . ;D

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #121 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:52 PM »
Don't know what's going on with the weather other than what's on the 6oclock news. Don't care to argue or gripe about it. I do know that the last few days/ nites have been good for making hard water. I guess we deserve it by now. (hope we can hang on to it) I'm taking another ride tomorrow afternoon and with any luck I can drill a few holes.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:43 AM »
I predict the more I hang around waiting for 3” of ice, the more I will sit on the couch eating. The more I eat, the 3” of ice won’t support me and I ll have to sit even longer to get 4” of ice. By time April comes, I’ll need a bigger boat to support my fat ass.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #123 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:56 AM »
I predict all of you sitting around complaining about no ice will not catch any fish sitting on the couch..
 There’s so much ice out there being fished right now just get out and look…..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:55 AM »
Surprisingly not all of live in the North Country and not everyone lives allow driving to chase ice. And I may not have fished as many years as Cards but I'm fairly confident that 3 days/nights over freezing with rain and temps pushing 50 is not going to grow any ice around me

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #125 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:01 AM »
I have gone south of the Mohawk valley 3 times this year.. And yes there is fishable ice from old forge on up..✌️✌️

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 21, 2024, 01:09 PM »
I was on 4” of black ice yesterday, just have to do some scouting so you know what bodies of water freeze first and the tell tale hints that let you know when it should be good to go.  When I see the Inner Harbor frozen over on my way to work I know it’s time to check my spot with ice gear in hand.  When a cap forms over all of Onondaga lake, Oneida is likely safe for machines. Trapper, I used to ice fish Owasco quite a bit back in the day and pulling up 10#+ lakers on tip-up’s in 80’ of water was a blast.  The perch were also easy to find and also plump.  I still hope for a deep freeze one winter to get on that again.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:20 PM »
Surprisingly not all of live in the North Country and not everyone lives allow driving to chase ice. And I may not have fished as many years as Cards but I'm fairly confident that 3 days/nights over freezing with rain and temps pushing 50 is not going to grow any ice around me

Wed forecast where I fish in CNY is a high of 41 - low of 37 - no where near 50.....Thurday is 45 and a low 43 .....still closer to 40 than 50 .....Fri is a high of 48 and low of 35 -  - thats not 3 days/nights (72 hours) of temps pushing 50.....that won't even melt the snow thats on the ground (which will soak up most if not all of the rain). I was fishing 5-6" of rock solid ice over (35 ft of water) today (as I predicted a couple days ago).  If the rain and snow melt comes to fruition the water sitting on the ice will freeze next weekend and there will be more ice next weekend than this weekend (where I fish).  Believe what you want  - i'll be fishing - and I'll be safe - LOL

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:28 PM »
I predict all of you sitting around complaining about no ice will not catch any fish sitting on the couch..

Agreed - and for the most part its safe ice too....I actually started spudding my holes today and gave up after a few 6"hole and got out my hand auger.........

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 26, 2024, 03:49 PM »
Well. It's been a week.. a warm week. At least where I live, the ice has taken a serious hit and any ice that was remotely flshable is now completely unfishable. The small pond in my back yard has even mostly melted.. and it's not done yet. It's not going to get below freezing until at least tomorrow night. The worst part is, there does not look to be another cold snap in sight (unless you count the sam Adam's in my fridge lol). Maybe if you go north to massena or ADK area, you might find good ice. Or a small pond. The runoff has flooded part of the town I live in and just devastated the ice on the smaller lakes. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. There are probably about 4 weeks left to make ice. Once march comes around the chances of making new ice goes down tremendously. I will be fishing tomorrow, but it will be from the shores of cayuga lake. If anyone else on here can say that they have better/more ice now than last weekend, I would be amazed.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Jan 26, 2024, 04:49 PM »
Simmer down!!😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #131 on: Jan 26, 2024, 05:24 PM »

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2024, 05:32 PM »
I predict I will be in my boat next Friday perch fishing

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:21 PM »
I predict that Greensider will become my friend and takes me perch fishing!!!😂
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Jan 27, 2024, 04:46 AM »
My new prediction. By the end of next week, I will be storing my ice gear and sitting in a boat on a fingerlake.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Jan 27, 2024, 04:57 AM »
 Ohhhyeah

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Jan 27, 2024, 05:00 AM »
Check out this video I already ordered and received mine going to give it a shot

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 27, 2024, 11:11 AM »
3 browns 6 lakers today on cayuga.. from shore.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #138 on: Jan 27, 2024, 11:46 AM »
Nice Trok..

There’s ice out there. A lot of water on top but still fishable ..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #139 on: Jan 27, 2024, 12:59 PM »
don't listen to dacker that man is crazy i  been telling you guys that for awhile ... sit home don't go anywhere theres  no ice   it  hit  50 degrees today somewhere!!!!  look  go  down  catch those  lake trout  and  sell your  ice  fishing gear  just  PM me  and  let me know what you  have .....no sence in  keeping it  some  liberal scientist proved winter will never return  ....God sakes  27 inch  9  lb walleyes  getting caught in  salmon  river  that proves the world is  comeing to a  end!!!!!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #140 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:42 PM »
I wasn’t out there today still recovering from surgery. But there was a lot of people on the ice fishing the Mike Norris tournament today. 
 And Trapp if I’m crazy  now I will be 10 times worse then you are now if I live as long as you..😎✌️✌️

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:56 PM »
Nice Trok..

There’s ice out there. A lot of water on top but still fishable ..

Ice thickness hasn't changed much by me - I had about 1/3 of an inch of ice on the side of my house where it ran off and froze before the last rain and thaw - some of the 1/3 of an inch is still there today....our lake level came up though so its a pretty big step from shore .....will let that go down for a couple days before I head back out......did really good on Tuesday (for me). Got an 18+" walleye and 14 perch - 9 of the 14 were better than 12" and a couple were better than 13" .....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #142 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:58 PM »
I wasn’t out there today still recovering from surgery. But there was a lot of people on the ice fishing the Mike Norris tournament today. 
 And Trapp if I’m crazy  now I will be 10 times worse then you are now if I live as long as you..😎✌️✌️

now  you'll never live as long as  me if you keep walking on this  non existant ice!!!!!  ....hope  you recover  quickly ......

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #143 on: Jan 27, 2024, 02:23 PM »
Now don’t get me wrong and think I’m saying everyone should just go out and walk on any ice.  I would never recommend that.  Just saying there has been good ice on and off so far..
 Just hope it holds up till the next freeze ..✌️✌️

And I will never live as long as but not from falling through the ice..😎

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Jan 27, 2024, 02:27 PM »
Drove by ponds and small lakes in 3 counties today I would not step foot on any ice I saw today and fished from shore in a huge body of water with only a small cove locked up the rest open water

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #145 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:18 PM »
that don't mean anything you can  drive threw  5  countys  and  never leave  new york city  ........obvious some  low elevation  countys won't have ice  ....... if you want to ice  fish there is ice you just have to travel for it  .....many cases it's closer then you  think

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:29 PM »
Nice pile of fish cards!! From observation and reports from buddy’s (not online) most bodys of water by me held its main sheet but like you said the shore line is toast for now. I’m gonna be on my best behavior, relax home with the family and build up fishing points this weekend but without a doubt I’ll be back at it next weekend….somewhere. Hey dacker is that your shack or a buddy’s? That is bad a**!!!!! I always wanted to build one semi portable like that but almost never consistently fish the same lakes enough to make it worth it.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #147 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:51 PM »
it's going to get  cold again soon jake  just wait till it gets safe again

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Jan 27, 2024, 04:01 PM »
I was in Tioga broome and Delaware definitely not going to get cold enough to make new ice for a while here

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #149 on: Jan 27, 2024, 06:00 PM »
green you could  be  very well right  it's  jan  27  in my  journals   mid  feb i usually start  fishing open water  perch  and the  fingerlakes are all wide open 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.