New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131350 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #780 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:29 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Wind is whipping pretty good . Heavy heavy snow has covered the wet open accesses. No fool hardy fishermen out there today. Thankfully.   :nono: :nono:
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #781 on: Jan 27, 2023, 05:11 AM »
Thanks for the updates Boggey Hopefully the colder nights will make it fish able this weekend!

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #782 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:55 AM »
Sorry Bogey my friend, unable to share Minnesota pictures with my fellow Sandy Ponders.  Either I don't have rights to post pics or I'm not literate enough to figure it out. 
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #783 on: Jan 27, 2023, 12:09 PM »
I apologize to everyone, I have a feeling someway some how I must of pissed off the fishing gods. Feel free to blame me for the lack of ice. I’ll do better later

Pat
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #784 on: Jan 27, 2023, 06:00 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Well I was one of the fool hardy fishermen out on the Pond today. The main ice is still holding up well, its just that stubborn apron along the shoreline. Seeing two shanties out on the ice before me and the sloshy footprints they made while transversing the first 20 feet, I knew what I was in for.

Luckily, my neighbor Bob and I made it out without getting wet, not so much on the way back in, but that’s story for later.

Ice was 7 inches thick in all of my 5 holes. Kept 22 very nice perch, 10s and 11s and threw a pickerel back .

Wind picked up by noon and headed back to camp picking up my first wet foot of the season😩. There were 20 plus shanties still out there when I left the ice. Wondering if any others got a boot full of water.
Well not significant cold tonight or tomorrow to cure that slush field along the shoreline.

Yo Nikonsdream I’m beginning to think you are a fair weather fisherman. The old guy will take you under his wing and get you out on the ice. Just wear tall boots😁
All for now, looking like Goose Bay tomorrow.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #785 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:46 AM »
I'm gonna come up maybe next week and do a little pike fishing it's been a few years since I've been there.  Always stayed at the WigWam and fished out back.  Where can I pick up some large minnows nearby?  thanks for any info.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #786 on: Jan 28, 2023, 07:05 AM »
I wouldn’t say fair weather fishermen but fatherly fishermen lol. I have to have the stars align in my life between daughters extra curricular, dogs, work work and more work and what takes the most time of them all my wife lol.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #787 on: Jan 28, 2023, 09:30 AM »
Yo Nikonsdream,
Didn’t mean to impugn your character neighbor . I know what a tireless worker, father, son and husband you are. Just sayin, sometimes you got to smell the roses or in this case, the fish.

Just a reminder, I am here for you bud. You can sneak in 4 or 5 hrs with your fatherly neighbor every once in awhile eh?

Yo Elrodalonzo,
I think your timing is perfect. Next Saturday, the 4th is the Mad River clubs fishing Derby. Friday night before is forecast to be zero or subzero temps. That should tighten up all the accesses and ramps and give us a couple more inches of hard ice. If you have more questions, PM me. I have posted the flyer for the Derby in earlier post , but will post again as we are getting close.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #788 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:32 AM »
Absolutely none takin in the least bit lol. Just so darn ancy to get on the ice lol

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #789 on: Jan 28, 2023, 11:39 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
About 25 to 30 shanties in front of the Wig Wam . They are finding ways around the broken up ramps, but they are getting out there.  I got the 18” Lacrosse boots today. Going to try it for a couple of hours. The high winds have not developed yet.
Boggey

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #790 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:29 PM »
Fish on 🎣 Boggey ! 😊
ice fishing rules

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #791 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:37 AM »
Boggey, I saw your comment to Nyonsdream about wearing "tall boots"; what you didn't make clear is, was that for the edges of the "Pond" or the "stories" that will be told....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #792 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:19 PM »
Perchilli

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #793 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Yo Doug ,

Ah the stories! I hesitate to tell the stories of my younger years in fears it would encourage some of my young friends to bring planks to the Pond. “No, no say it ain’t so  GrandPa.”

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #794 on: Jan 30, 2023, 05:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
About yesterday. The temps and the wind were very mild, however the rain lent fishing conditions a bit miserable. Add to that I decided to check out some of my old “honey holes “from years past at the North end of the Pond.

While the bite flourished, it unfortunately consisted of 6 and 7 inchers in the main. Still I forged on and managed (13) keepers. (2) pike hits resulting in lost lures.
Jigged most of the morning. All holes witnessed 6 inches of ice. Long walk on bum leg. Thankfully we should have good ice by Friday, Saturday to get the snowmobile out for the Mad River Derby. All for now.
Boggey

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #795 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:14 PM »

Maybe this time it will work, perch chilli curtesy of boggey himself to help with the only 4 keepers we got. But we had a ball

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #796 on: Jan 31, 2023, 02:41 AM »
Yo Nikonsdream,
Now I must admit. Perch dinners are a mainstay at our camp. There is almost a continuous pan of chili to be served or warmed up as well, but I never thought of combining the two. Kudos to you my friend. I will have to broaden my culinary experiences in the near future.

You still have an invite to go out with the “old guy”, I did knock on your door Sunday morning to hit the ice with me. No one answered. Sleeping in?
Boggey

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #797 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:08 PM »
Ohhh boggey boggey boggey, I was to the East of you with the big blue shanty, I was about an hour ahead of you. I thought that was you walk-in but thought you were going to goose bay. When we came back I saw your vehicle still in the driveway and thought it must of been you. When you pointed out the rain on your previous post I finally connected the dots. I should of stopped over I apologize but to shy to do those things. The chilli is just a basic chilli with regular ingredients I just throw a perch fillet on top and then mix I all in lol

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #798 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:53 PM »
Perch chilli…………..you guys got me thinking now. It probably dissolve if you slow cooked it all day but maybe leave the fish out fry it separate then add them in after for the last hour or so. I think your onto something. How you did it looks awesome as well. Always love to hear different ways of cooking them delicious little fellers

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #799 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:54 PM »
Perch chilli…………..you guys got me thinking now. It probably dissolve if you slow cooked it all day but maybe leave the fish out fry it separate then add them in after for the last hour or so. I think your onto something. How you did it looks awesome as well. Always love to hear different ways of cooking them delicious little fellers

Yea I just make regular chilli and throw a fry perch on top

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #800 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:30 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Good day on the Pond. Fished with 2 of my buds. Ice was over 7 inches. Cut one hole at noon. Caught 15 nice keepers in 2 hours. I know where I am fishing Saturday in the Mad River Derby. Hope to see you all there. Dress warm.
Boggey

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #801 on: Feb 03, 2023, 05:57 AM »
Hi Boggery
 stay warm and battle the high windy Hope you get to win this derby  see you soon

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #802 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:49 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Just a quick note: you won’t find old Boggey out on the ice today. I won’t even venture out to cut a hole to make an ice conditions report.

Suffice to say, on top of yesterday’s report of 7 inches +, we undoubtedly gained and will continue to gain thickness due to last night and today’s subzero temps. Discretion, being the better part of valor, be it said there is nothing valorous about frost bitten hands and body parts.

Yup, think I will whip up another batch of chili for tomorrow. Yum.

Yo BigBuck, your room is ready bud. I think we will have enough ice to bring the machine. No guarantees with this “global warming “ and all.😁
Boggey

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #803 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:43 AM »
How are the crowds for the mad river tourney? Getting worried about where to park. I hope to venture out tomorrow.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #804 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:24 PM »
I hope all you folks are extra careful tomorrow. This weather is just scary and down rite torturous. Bundle up - stay in the hut- keep the heat cranked- Have fun. 

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #805 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:26 AM »
Yo guys & gals

Lots of diehards have signed up for the Mad River Derby. Yup it was still - 15 at 8:30 . Virtually no wind and already -8 at this writing. 9:30. Good luck to all. Nice shanty for raffle. Picture from WigWam ramp

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #806 on: Feb 05, 2023, 02:27 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Well there were no trophy catches or prize winners for Boggey on Saturday. In fact, my shortened truncated trip to the ice was about 2 hrs worth with nary a punctuation of bites or activity. This at the same “honey hole” that had yielded a couple dozen earlier in the week.

Besides the bone chilling temps, the snowmobile refused to start as well rendering a tortuous trip on my bum knee. Add to that, over night on Friday, my hot water line froze up. Note, “ hot water” as I had left my cold water trickling. Starting to sound like sad sack? Well all is not dull & dreary. Hot water line thawed out by days end. I won a nice Caty Jig box full of great jigs on the raffle and got to spend some time with some great fisherwoman and fishermen at the sportsman’ club.

Congratz to the Derby sponsors. The Mad River Club for hosting a great derby of “Reel DieHards”.
And all the participants.

Hope to see you all next weekend when the Sandy Creek Fire Dept will be hosting their derby at the Sportsman’s Club.
Attached is a copy of their Derby Flyer

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #807 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:37 AM »
 Boggey, Glad you got the pipes thawed out. I spend most of my day doing the same thing. -22 yesterday at 4am.

No wind makes a big difference, good luck next week...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #808 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:57 AM »
the ole trapp  went  down and  bought a  new  salamander  (propane)  just in case  but i got lucky  no frozen pipes.....nice to be perpared anyways..........good luck out there boys i may swing over and  try to catch a few  perch and a toothy fish or 2  ;D

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #809 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:15 AM »
Jim...

Sorry you had frozen pipes...but it seems it resolved itself without damage...always a bonus!

Ironically I had the same problem here in Endwell...with the same result...no damage...a hairdryer on pipe for a couple hours did the trick.

Headed to Chaumont next weekend...hoping the warmup doesn't put water on top or around the edges.

Then a trip to Montgomery, AL for a memorial service for my brother in law.

So late February or so - hoping to hit the pond on consecutive weekends to fish and hoping I get the chance to see or fish with you.

Looking forward to hearing about your fishing escapades with BigBuck...please give him my best.

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.