The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lazer centering point on a Mora flight.  (Read 2340 times)

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lazer centering point on a Mora flight.
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:37 PM »
Anyone ever tried it?  If it's as simple as tapping the hole that's already there I think it would be worth it when running on a drill.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lazer centering point on a Mora flight.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:08 PM »
Fail?? That doesnt sound promising....
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2021, 03:59 AM »
Pretty sure it's a matter of clearance between the point and the inside corners of the blades.  Probably gonna have to do some grinding and that isn't going to happen until the temps are a little better for hanging out in the garage.  I didn't notice at first but I didn't get the same points that Lefty got and that they show in their advertising.  These have a flange on them so they can't be screwed in as far.

On the plus side the tapping operation went fine.  The hole that was there was the right size, just cleaned out the powder coat a bit and cranked in the tap.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Pretty sure it's a matter of clearance between the point and the inside corners of the blades.  Probably gonna have to do some grinding and that isn't going to happen until the temps are a little better for hanging out in the garage.  I didn't notice at first but I didn't get the same points that Lefty got and that they show in their advertising.  These have a flange on them so they can't be screwed in as far.

On the plus side the tapping operation went fine.  The hole that was there was the right size, just cleaned out the powder coat a bit and cranked in the tap.

Can you snap a pic of your bit and how it didnt fit? I noticed on the other thread, most people had to add washers to get the point higher. Also what size mora do you have? I was planning on doing an old 8" mora and mine doesnt have a hole, noticed the blades are pretty close together too so that has me a little concerned. I have a couple other old augers to try if this one doesnt work
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2021, 11:28 AM »
It's an 8" but it's newer which is why it has a hole and yours doesn't I suppose.  I think the reason for that washer was because without the flange the point can screw in too far.  The flange keeps it from going in far enough.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2021, 12:08 PM »
RapShack
Can you also post a couple pics of the outer ends of the blades, and how they mount to the frame?  I’m trying to see if the newest 8” Moras are still putting a set of 8” blades on the 7” model’s auger bit to achieve the 8” model.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2021, 12:13 PM »
I misread your question.  We covered that in another thread with word direct from Strikemaster.  They each have their own flights now.  You can put 8" blades on a 7" but not the other way around, at least not without grinding down some of the carriage for clearance.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2021, 12:30 PM »
I cant really see what the flange is, is it a teflon type washer molded onto it? Looks white in your picture
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2021, 01:41 PM »
I cant really see what the flange is, is it a teflon type washer molded onto it? Looks white in your picture

No, it's all one piece of metal. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:43 PM »
So is this fail.....not a fail but fixed?

Didn’t look bad in the pics

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:53 AM »
Not fixed yet.  Will mess with it more in the next couple days.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:35 AM »
can you guys tell the difference with n without? 

good info thx
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Im guessing these tips with the bases on them are the new design that came with the lite flite bits. You can see it here. Also looks SLIGHTLY different shaped than the old ones pictured online. Looks like they stick out pretty far on the lite flite, I'm guessing yours pictured would work fine RapShack.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:53 PM »
I think mine turned out okay. Looks like the "cutting" edge of the center point goes all the way to the blades. Will find out in a couple days i suppose. Thanks for the help Rapshack. Is your return address on the envelope correct?

EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:31 PM »
That's how mine looks and it cuts a perfectly round circle about an inch into the ice then it just spins.  I think you need to get the point down in there farther so the inside corner of the blades can bite better.  Be sure and take the tools you need to get it off of there when you go fishing or you might be boned.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:31 PM »
can you guys tell the difference with n without? 

Yes.  Without the point it cuts a hole, with the point it doesn't lol.  But I'll keep plugging.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:52 PM »
It's alive.  I ground off the flange and managed to get it far enough down in there and it cuts again now.  I only drilled one hole to test quick, but I'll play around with it some more when I have time.  Depending on how that goes I might leave it like it is, or grind the sides down a bit so I can move it out past the blades a bit farther.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2021, 05:20 PM »
It's alive.  I ground off the flange and managed to get it far enough down in there and it cuts again now.  I only drilled one hole to test quick, but I'll play around with it some more when I have time.  Depending on how that goes I might leave it like it is, or grind the sides down a bit so I can move it out past the blades a bit farther.

Good to hear

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I couldn't resist playing with it so I went out for a couple hours tonight.  A hypothesis was tested and some not inconsequential knowledge was gained.  I'll be updating with a video in the next day or two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.