Author Topic: Tip Down plans  (Read 21249 times)

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
Tip Down plans
« on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:15 AM »
Does anyone have a picture or plans for a home made tipdown, I would like to build my own. If anyone wants to share, could you e-mail me the plans or a pic thanks
Rick
[email protected]

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:Tip Down plans
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:35 AM »
just bumping it up... so know one uses tip downs

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:16 AM »
Hi Rick!
  What the heck is a tip down??????
   Thanks
        Da-Roc

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:25 AM »
Do a search in the archives for: tipdown
set Max Age since last post to 900 days Display how many results to 100 plus
Search Iceshanty Archives 2001-2003

Plans I found searching
http://64.33.43.156/iceshanty_archives/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=1533;start=msg11874#msg11874

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:39 PM »
thanks scott I will look
da rock,,  a tip down is a horizontal rod on a verticle base, you cannot use reels on them. they are balanced
so the rod tips down when a fish hits.and you pull the line in like a tip up. you can get some fast action on them when a school goes thru. I have seen many times the guys are getting them on the tip downs but nothing jigging with a rod.. I can make my own, but would be better with some plans from someone, at least I would know they work mainly they are used for panfish, in ny you can have 5 just like tip ups hope this explains it
                     Rick

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:32 PM »
hardwater Rick, i have been trying to post pics for about a year and still can'T figure it out or i could help you.
Simplest tip down is a 1/2'' dowel with a nail through the middle ( actually not in the middle) for a pivot point.
Or it can be elabrote like 1 of mine i made from a old style solid glass ice rod with a reel. If you mount reels on them and are able to play the fish you are only allowed 2.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:45 PM »
Rick,
I'll bring mine to the next meeting of Ice Fishers Anonymous...maybe the others will as well.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:11 PM »
i'd like to see a pic of this rig......please sounds interesting but i just can't get the image trying to imagime it.
BUD

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:23 PM »
Next time you drive by a school yard check out the teeter- tot-ers.

same thing, except they are adjustable.

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:14 PM »
This won't help as far as plans go, but imagine this. The line on a tipdown is a balance affair, usually a loop coming off an upwards balance point that offers almost no resistance (light hit),here in NY we've been using them for years. First I saw them was approx. 20yrs. ago on Onieda lake for walleye and they've been deadly on pearch also.
The amount of line you leave free will determine the amount of time the fish has to play with the bait, ie hook themseves or drop, each day requires experimentation.  Hope this helps :)
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2003, 04:39 AM »
I started using tip downs about10 years ago, I learned how to make them from an old crappie fisherman but they work for anything .  Mine have hinged bases and those cheep little reels you can buy [for about 2 bucks] at walmart or kmart, then I sloted out the mounting holes so the reel can slide up and down making it adjustable for differnt size minnows or jigs.   Since I started useing these ,I left my tip ups home[unless I'm after pike].  I can't figur out how to get a picture on here or I would be happy to show you.Whereever I go icefishing ,I always take them. I'll make a couple extras and if I run in to one of you guys Iwill let you take one for a pattern ;) :'(
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Rick,
Shark in Honeoye was kind enough to send this picture of his tip downs and a fine mess of Honeoye crappies from last year.
Thanks Mark...nice catch!
My tipdowns are a bit different...I should have pics to post
tonight.

The rod is not part of the tip down rig.
RG
***NOTE*** Don't forget to put your name and address on the tip down!
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:06 AM »
I have one of those in my garage and didn't know what it was! I've been using it to hold my deadstick. Thanks for the photo and that is a really nice catch!
FTD

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:53 PM »
rgfixit, those look just like the bunch i made for my friend and me except my rods are parallel to the Ice. If a fish takes '' up'' the rods jiggle a little, and they tip down very easy. I think i see a name and adress on those behind the rods.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:30 PM »
  The trick to the tip down is once you have your hook baited and the depth set you adjust the amount of wieght your using to balance the rig , you can get them so sensitive that the minnow will wiggle the rod even a slight breeze will push them down. sometimes when the crappies are not very agressive they might barely pull it down and hold it there.
  there great at certain times, those crappies in that picture were caught in under 2 hours just at dark.The guys around me jigging didnt do as well . other nights were not as fast but still limited out.
   buckeyes are about the best minnows for crappies.
                          Good Luck
    Shark
How's the ice

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:33 PM »
looks like i will be busy the next few days!  will make one atleast to try out on the perch!
thanks a million for the pic.....you know what they say about a pic being worth a thousand words!
BUD

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:20 PM »
  If you dont want to go with reels  you can use 2 L shape hooks to wrap line around.   Good Luck    shark
How's the ice

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:33 PM »
They are almost identical to the ones that I use. Somewhere we all must of gotten the same pattern.
I got mine on Waneta Lake. The guys that were using the tipdowns were getting about 10 perch to our 1 jigging. Iv'e used them ever since. They are always worth a try.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:24 PM »
My brother owned the bait shop in Honeoye made this type about 10 years ago and sold a bunch at that time. thats where I got the idea from.
  They do work great.
   Shark
How's the ice

fish_hooked

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:15 PM »
I wasn't really familiar with what a tipdown was, but am familiar with the concept.  When fishing for perch/bluegill I often use 3 or 4 jigging rods propped up on the spinning reels handle at a 45 degree angle. At the end of the handle of the jigging rod, I have attached a dowel twice as wide as the hole I am fishing through.  This is a result of losing a few rods.  Now I can be jigging next to these stationary rods and not catch a darn thing, while these others are on fire.  

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:50 AM »
Fish hooked,
You want to be careful with that system. You're only allowed 2 rods in NY. Assuming you're in NY.

RG

Offline eric

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:29 PM »
anyone interested in tip downs email me at [email protected] for a pic of a tip down.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:35 PM »
My only question is how do you adjust the balance based on what size lure/bail you are using?  Do you drill a series of holes in the dowel and pick the one that balances it best?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:35 PM »
OTIS, set em up on your workbench and balance them fully rigged up the way you would use them( line, split shot, hook, etc) When you get them balanced move the pivot point( whatever you used to set the rod on) toward the jig end until the '' heavy end'' of the settles down to your workbench. You can have the "tip down action" as light or as heavy as you want by readjusting the pivot where you like it the best. Then drill a hole there and use a nail. I used a 10 or 12 common with the head and point cut off. If you don'T like the tip action(to light or to heavy) you can drill a hole and jamb a split shot on the approatiate end.  If your fishing what i think you are you can make Oneida rigs which are way easier to balance. Very simple, the dowel rod hangs parallel to the ice in the same holder. The thing that keeps it there is your 3/8oz. sinker 37 feet down on the bottom. The handle end of the rod needs just enough weight( depends on where pivot is and length of rod) to keep the handle end DOWN( parallel to ice). Belive me even tho i don't have any, my neighbor has 5 of these and when its hot and heavy with a school comming through he doesn't even touch the rods. He hand lines the fish up, unhooks it and drops the sinker back down. Cooooooooooool

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:58 PM »
I finally got some pictures of my tip downs to post.

I'll be happy to answer any construction questions. They're very effective and don't require a base. I use the ice from the hole I drilled or drill a shallow hole next to the main hole and stick the base in the snow and slush. Been using them a few years now and haven't lost one yet.

Cost is about $4.50 each line included.
RG

waternut

« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:39 PM »
gentlemen,
I just thought I'd drop my two cents in, been using tip downs for the pastfew years and can't get over how affective they can be. My point of interest is that the way I made mine just by putting the reel up or down I can get a "heavy" or "lite" setting. I'll always fish my set with split shot for the perfect balance,but the reel act as more weight on top ;) ;) ;) :'( :'(

Santa please make me 10-12" of ice for christmas

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:23 PM »
I finally got some pictures of my tip downs to post.

I'll be happy to answer any construction questions. They're very effective and don't require a base. I use the ice from the hole I drilled or drill a shallow hole next to the main hole and stick the base in the snow and slush. Been using them a few years now and haven't lost one yet.

Cost is about $4.50 each line included.
Rgfixit, How about a parts list and a little instruction on the construction.

[/img]
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:27 AM »
Fishingnut,
Here you go...If anything's not clear let me know.
Parts list ..RG'S tipdowns;
ROD:
12" - 1/2" wood dowel
12" - 1/2" PVC
1 - 1/4" (small) eye hook
1 - plastic spool reel
1- #8 common nail
1 - oring ( to fit the nail shank)
1 - #5x3/4" wood screw
1 - flat plastic faucet washer
1 - beveled faucet washer

STAND:
12" - 1 1/4" pvc

ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

ROD::
-insert dowel into pvc about 2" ...glue in place...I use hot melt adhesive
-sand end of dowel round...just remove the rough edges at the end
-screw eye hook into side of dowel close to the end
- attach faucet washers to pvc near the middle in line with the screw eye...screw in place with wood screw... beveled washer facing the flat washer. This is the line keeper for storage.
- mount the plastic reel to the pvc at 90 deg to the line keeper and screw eye...I use electrical tape. Position as shown in picture
-find the balance point.(approximate, you can fine tune later)..drill hole for nail in line with screw eye and line keeper
-push nail through and put small oring on nail to keep it from getting lost

STAND:
-cut a notch lengthwise into the end of the pipe about 1 1/2" long and 1" wide
- cut 2 v-notches about 3/8" deep into the ends ...I use a file...the nail rests here.

FINE TUNING:
- Spool it up with line...I use 6lb green Trilene
- run line through the reel guide and through the eye hook
- For perch I use a 1/8 oz sinker on bottom and a #6 gold aberdeen hook up the line 6" to 3' depending on the bite
- set up the tipdown  on your bench without the sinker  and see how it balances. The butt end of the rod should tip down gently with the rod tip up. I use wraps of electrical tape around the butt end to adjust the balance. You can also add a cap to the end if it needs more.

TO USE:
I drill a second shallow hole next to the main hole and pack snow or the slush from th hole I drilled around the stand to hold it upright.

Good luck...have fun..experiment...catc h perch!

RG

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:45 AM »
RG
  I thought you could not use spooled reels on tip downs, that would make it like a rod and reel, I would think you would reel the spool to get the line back on.
if not. how does the DEC know you are not using them in that way. I know we have been debating this in a few long post. does it all depend on what the DEC decides. hope I don't start another controversy over this. thanks Rick  by the way great instructions, you da man  see yah soon bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:51 AM »
Rick, 5 years...plenty of CO's and NO PROBLEM.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.