Author Topic: Tip Down plans  (Read 21269 times)

grumpymoe

Re:Tip Down plans
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:48 AM »
 a few years before they came out with thermal tipups, i modified mine to keep the hole from freezing and blowing in with snow--(they would not need cleaning all day) and what i did was cut a piece of plywood larger than the hole size and bond 2 inch styrofoam to it.then with clear hockey tape i would cover the entire plate to keep ice/snow from freezing to it. man, it still works great. was wondering why you dont extend homemade tipdowns to also cover the hole.(drill smooth centre hole for your line to go thru)--it would sure help on blustery days  :P :'( :'(

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Rick,
I'll bring mine to the next meeting of Ice Fishers Anonymous...maybe the others will as well.

RG

When are the meetings? :blink:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Fishingnut,
Here you go...If anything's not clear let me know.
Parts list ..RG'S tipdowns;
ROD:
12" - 1/2" wood dowel
12" - 1/2" PVC
1 - 1/4" (small) eye hook
1 - plastic spool reel
1- #8 common nail
1 - oring ( to fit the nail shank)
1 - #5x3/4" wood screw
1 - flat plastic faucet washer
1 - beveled faucet washer

STAND:
12" - 1 1/4" pvc

ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

ROD::
-insert dowel into pvc about 2" ...glue in place...I use hot melt adhesive
-sand end of dowel round...just remove the rough edges at the end
-screw eye hook into side of dowel close to the end
- attach faucet washers to pvc near the middle in line with the screw eye...screw in place with wood screw... beveled washer facing the flat washer. This is the line keeper for storage.
- mount the plastic reel to the pvc at 90 deg to the line keeper and screw eye...I use electrical tape. Position as shown in picture
-find the balance point.(approximate, you can fine tune later)..drill hole for nail in line with screw eye and line keeper
-push nail through and put small oring on nail to keep it from getting lost

STAND:
-cut a notch lengthwise into the end of the pipe about 1 1/2" long and 1" wide
- cut 2 v-notches about 3/8" deep into the ends ...I use a file...the nail rests here.

FINE TUNING:
- Spool it up with line...I use 6lb green Trilene
- run line through the reel guide and through the eye hook
- For perch I use a 1/8 oz sinker on bottom and a #6 gold aberdeen hook up the line 6" to 3' depending on the bite
- set up the tipdown  on your bench without the sinker  and see how it balances. The butt end of the rod should tip down gently with the rod tip up. I use wraps of electrical tape around the butt end to adjust the balance. You can also add a cap to the end if it needs more.

TO USE:
I drill a second shallow hole next to the main hole and pack snow or the slush from th hole I drilled around the stand to hold it upright.

Good luck...have fun..experiment...catc h perch!

RG

Thanks..
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Re: Tip Down plans
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I have been building Tip Downs for over 15 years, it took some time but we have it down to a really nice setup with a frame that folds up and you can fit 9 of them in a 5 gal bucket.
Here are a few pics.  If your interested in these you can PM or email me [email protected]

Click on this picture to see the video

To balance them you can lean the frame to fine tune the balance or I also carry a roll of solder with me and if needed you can wrap a little around the handle of the pole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.