Author Topic: in search of  (Read 1144 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
in search of
« on: Jan 27, 2023, 04:11 PM »
looking for a couple of eskimo quad ice fishing chairs.  i don't think they have been made for a few years but need to replace a few older lower quality chairs and i would like to find a few if at all possible.  thanks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: in search of
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2023, 05:33 PM »
nice, very similar.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2023, 05:37 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2023, 06:33 PM »
i will probably have to go with one of the camping style chairs as i have yet to locate any of the eskimo chairs.  problem is i have sat in the eskimo and they are comfortable and durable and sturdy design and would like to have something comparable.  i am a kinda of kick the tires try it out before i buy it type of guy.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:33 AM »
I bought mine immediately after sitting in it.  It does have some weight, about 14# in the bag.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:18 AM »
Those directors chairs are really nice for spending a long day sitting in. Very supportive, making it easier on your butt and back. Every other quad folding camp chair I've sat in (all cheap ones of course) pales in comparison to the comfort of the directors chairs. And who doesn't love a side table?

Biggest downside, and the reason I don't own one, is they just don't pack up and transport in a sled as nice. Currently I'm rocking a tripod chair with a back, and am pretty pleased with it. Changes how I sit just enough that I don't get the same pressure on my lower back, and my butt doesn't feel like I've been sitting on concrete for hours. Little smaller and lighter too, so that's a plus for the days with long drags to the ice
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:46 AM »
Splattypus  I have two directors chairs one with a half back from Walmart and one with a full back not certain the brand..both are great but the full back is better ..they fold flat and fit on the in side of my sled standing upright ..takes up no room . The directors chair makes you sit up right ...something my back appreciates. My early/late season set up incorporates the chair in my Jet Sled  and are a great hub shelter seat. The link above to the King camp chair may be another good option . I also added the Otter side kick console to my set up ..comforts of home.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Man that's an efficient setup. Well organized and cozy. I need to do some more of that in the off season.

I gotta get a bigger sled, my jet sled Jr is so narrow and not tall enough to leverage a chair standing on end and still allow me to pack the other stuff in the same. Currently it is just barely wide enough for rod case and shelter, with hand auger handle tucked in the side rail and held down by the others. That creates a reasonably flat deck, on which I can stack milk crates and heaters, cargo net over the top, and works super well but I end up sacrificing some comforts or accessories that I'd eventually like to bring with me.  A jet sled 1 should do the trick for me, several inches wider and a little taller, enough room for everything to pack in better.

I've contemplated all kids of solutions, including building a frame/seat rail for my sled or the boat seat on a bucket. Any of those would be summertime projects for sure though.

What I'm really interested in is a lightweight 2-man flip over with good seats that packs down small enough for my short bed pickup and hard bedcover.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2023, 11:29 AM »
Splattypus  Got the Sierra Thermal last season ...great option ...and the wind break position is great. The sled in my pictures above is a JeT Sled 1 ..I also have a Jet Sled XL

My review and modifications

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=389003.msg4249487#msg4249487

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2023, 11:54 AM »
Man they should pay you to make product assembly videos.

How annoying is that front support bar in the center of the door? I was looking at the eskape that has the side doors, seems really convenient for getting in and out of the shelter.

Also, thoughts on the seating? Seems like if you're going solo, you're still sitting offset. Maybe just a frame that spans the lip of the sled or something? Or do you find sitting offset allows more room for heater/lights/etc without interfering with your fishing space?

I really like the looks and apparent functions of the Eskimo shelters. The swivel seats especially look sturdy and comfortable, without being just a flat spot for your butt to go, or having to resort to a camp chair.  The one-man's seem just a touch small for my taste though, so I'm definitely leaning more this route

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:10 PM »
Splattypus... not my video ..sorry for the mislead

I dont use the poles that much ..the back pole gets the most use if any . plus the pole(s) can be moved to the left or right. I use a Portable buddy for heat w/refillable Flame Kings

I like sitting offset to the left as I am right handed ...dead stick for the other side ...and the seats are EXTREMLY comfortable

My buddy has the 2600 ..it has a thicker longer wider tub  ..so its heavier plus more fabric and poles ...not sure I would be dragging it ... but it is sweet lot of room..could get another person in the front corner on a bucket.  My Sierra can be dragged  by hand with ease ...I changed out the rope with the lashing of a ratchet strap.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:19 PM »
Ah, gotcha. That's real slick about being able to reposition the poles.

A quick comparison on the Eskimo website tells me the Sierra packs up that a little shorter (20inches high vs 22 inches) , and is a good bit lighter. Plus, the eskape has a bench seat, which really is only useful if I want to try to stretch out for a midday nap (that's probably where most of the extra weight comes from).

I guess unless I can find a steal on a used one that fits the bill, this is what I should start saving for.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:24 PM »
Ah, gotcha. That's real slick about being able to reposition the poles.

A quick comparison on the Eskimo website tells me the Sierra packs up that a little shorter (20inches high vs 22 inches) , and is a good bit lighter. Plus, the eskape has a bench seat, which really is only useful if I want to try to stretch out for a midday nap (that's probably where most of the extra weight comes from).

I guess unless I can find a steal on a used one that fits the bill, this is what I should start saving for.

2400 bench seat ..not certain of the tub size

2600 and 2800 have two seats

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Worst case I imagine one could remove the bench and buy flip over seats separately to install, especially if they were handy enough to fabricate anything they needed for the mounting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2023, 01:57 PM »
i think i am going to pull the trigger on the one that has a little table off to the side of it.  thanks for the insight fellas.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2023, 02:27 PM »
i think i am going to pull the trigger on the one that has a little table off to the side of it.  thanks for the insight fellas.

Get one with a full back . IMHO not a fan of the side table ..I could take it or leave it. Good luck with your choice/purchase.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2023, 02:43 PM »
Great thread and set up diehard!!  I use the harbor freight one, got on sale for 25. Good for jet sled & fits inside by clam blazer perfect.  Lots of storage and a table when im using my sled. I don’t know how to post the link, but this is just a picture of it. I think it is going for 35 right now.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2023, 03:04 PM »
icebites  My first was from Walmart ...$20 ...that worked well I got a full back one from Amazon as an extra for my hub shelter ... the full back is the way to go . My Eskimo Sierra  2 man has nice seating ...Eskimo at on time make a portable/folding chair with the Versa design ..and like the DoDo bird it is one to history . The Director chair does fit in my 1 man HT Polar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:29 PM »
i have sat in one of the directors seats this past summer at a baseball tourney and will prob go with the full back as i felt my fat behind sliding back when i was leaned forward.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.