Author Topic: humminbird ice-ducer support cable  (Read 8885 times)

Offline cidme

• IceShanty Rookie
humminbird ice-ducer support cable
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Whats the deal with the extra support cable on the ice-ducer?  I just got my 345 and was getting ready to assemble the transducer cable but I wanted to find out if most guys are using the extra support cable they provide or chucking it?  Does it really need this extra support or is it a gimmick?  Looks like something else to get my line caught on.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: humminbird ice-ducer support cable
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Chuck it...I don't even use the float on mine.The support cable is a way around a vexilar patent.

Offline cidme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:53 AM »
if you don't use the float what are you using?

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Use it for something that is actually usefull! Ive had mine for 3 years now and tossed it out the window the second I got it. Ive heard guys that use it with the support cable are having problems seeing the bottom and seeing their jig as well as fish because the support cable is causing the transducer to hang at an angle. Chuck it! ;D

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:05 AM »
if you don't use the float what are you using?
I have the Ice 55...the ducer cable plugs in the back then wraps around 2 pegs under the head unit.I unwrap enough cord to get just under the ice...or over the side of the canoe lately. When I first bought it I used the float but it just got in the way  to much in a 4" hole. Cord now sits on the back of the hole.The only thing ya gotta watch out for is if you get in a real honey hole on a cold day the cord might start to freeze to the edge  :o

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2011, 07:50 PM »

This is what i did with my 385ci.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:15 PM »
The support cable is to keep you from pulling the wire out of the top of the transducer. I used cable ties to tie the two cables together above and below the float leaving plenty of space for float adjustment. I use the supplied cable clips to hold them together where the adjustment slack is. If you don't use the support cable you may eventually pull the cable loss enough to let water in the transducer.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:19 PM »
The support cable is to keep you from pulling the wire out of the top of the transducer. I used cable ties to tie the two cables together above and below the float leaving plenty of space for float adjustment. I use the supplied cable clips to hold them together where the adjustment slack is. If you don't use the support cable you may eventually pull the cable loss enough to let water in the transducer.

Please don't take this as I am attacking you!

Do you have any evidence or experience with this happening?  Just curious because I run just the float on the transducer cable like I have heard about on here and want to make sure that my ice 55 lives a long and happy life.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:22 PM »
The support cable that Humminbird used was just there to get around Vexilars and Marcums patent. Ive used mine for 4 years now with no support cable and abused the he&^ out of it and it has held up fine. Your wasting your time using it. Just seems like a waste of time and money trying to find ways to use the support cable IMO.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2011, 10:48 PM »

If the bolded statement is true then why have vex's and marcums not used them and as far as I can tell, their ducers last just fine?  Any proof that no support cable means frayed wires.  Or did H-bird have to add a fix because they manufactured a bad design.  Just wondering?
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:02 PM »
i use mine on my 385. its really no big deal.

once its on its on and you dont have to worry about anything.

i actually think its a good idea. i always find my self yankin it out of the icy water over and over and over. why not take the abuse off the main cable?!

i doubt its a patent thing see'n no one else had to use a different way to hang their ducers.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:10 PM »
i use mine on my 385. its really no big deal.

once its on its on and you dont have to worry about anything.

i actually think its a good idea. i always find my self yankin it out of the icy water over and over and over. why not take the abuse off the main cable?!

i doubt its a patent thing see'n no one else had to use a different way to hang their ducers.
Actually they all do have different ways of hanging the transducer. Humminbird uses the support cable, Marcum uses a support arm that protrudes from the unit and hold the transducer and Vexilar was the first to use a foam slip with stops design. So maybe you should do your research before making such a statement. I also was told by Humminbirds technical support that that was the only reason they used a support cable to get around Vexilars patent.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:15 PM »
bird and vex use foam floats....

i just dont get it.  its the same thing.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:19 PM »
bird and vex use foam floats....

i just dont get it.  its the same thing.
The tech at Humminbird told me that Humminbird went with the support cable to get around Vexilars patent using the foam float. That is why Humminbird uses both the foam float and the support cable. It's not the same. Yeah they both use a foam float but Humminbird had to use the support cable in addition to the foam float so they wouldn't infringe on Vexilars patent.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Please don't take this as I am attacking you!

Do you have any evidence or experience with this happening?  Just curious because I run just the float on the transducer cable like I have heard about on here and want to make sure that my ice 55 lives a long and happy life.

I've had it happen with a transom mounted transducer on the boat. I could probably tow my boat with a ball on my bumper, but would rather use a more rigidly mounted hitch that was intended for the load. I don't see why it's such an issue to use the cable. If you choose not to, just don't knock the manufacturer when you're on the ice some morning looking at a screen full of jumbled noise because it wore out or finally broke. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just why the cable is there.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I've had it happen with a transom mounted transducer on the boat.
That's sure an apple to oranges comparison.
Nothing to do with the original question.
A boat traveling through the water would put far more stress on a loose transducer or cable tug being water pressure than lifting one from the water by the cord. ::)
BTW: The transom mounted transducer doesn't even have a support cable option!! ???

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:38 AM »
So don't use yours, I'm not looking to argue for the sake of arguing. It's clearly a conspiracy to increase production costs.

Offline 03rangerfx4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
This is what i did with my 385ci.

I really like this idea and will do it to my 55 soon.
What size turnbuckle did you use?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I dont recall at the moment but ill have to go check. The problem was finding a wing nut type screw that would fit into the hole thats provided in the mount. I also had to notch out one of the arms abit. (as you can see) Im sure there is different ways other than a turnbuckle. i believe i saw it on here and did it to mine.  And why cant we all just get along and use what setup you like?

Offline ohioshicks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2018, 04:18 PM »
From Humminbird:
Humminbird
PRODUCTS
TECHNOLOGY
COMMUNITY
SUPPORT
Shopping Cart(0)
Search
Bluewater Freshwater
Find A Dealer MyHumminbird
About Us Press Room Contact Us
Common Questions Regarding Humminbird Ice Flashers
 Below are some common questions and answers regarding our Ice Flasher products.

Question:  Why do the Humminbird ICE Series flashers have two cables on their transducers?

Answer:  Humminbird's transducer assembly contains both a support cable and a signal cable. The support cable hangs the transducer at the proper position in the water, and the signal cable connects the transducer to the control head. Because Johnson Outdoors believes in respecting the intellectual property of others, we specifically designed our assembly such that it would not infringe a specific patent relating to suspending an ice fishing transducer by its signal cable. For that reason, the transducer should be utilized per the instructions in the owner's manual at all times

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:50 PM »
That's odd. I just bought the 920 and 1521 ice ducers and neither one came with the support cable or the plastic "claw" for the top of the ducer. Guess they abandoned that idea.

From Humminbird:
Humminbird
PRODUCTS
TECHNOLOGY
COMMUNITY
SUPPORT
Shopping Cart(0)
Search
Bluewater Freshwater
Find A Dealer MyHumminbird
About Us Press Room Contact Us
Common Questions Regarding Humminbird Ice Flashers
 Below are some common questions and answers regarding our Ice Flasher products.

Question:  Why do the Humminbird ICE Series flashers have two cables on their transducers?

Answer:  Humminbird's transducer assembly contains both a support cable and a signal cable. The support cable hangs the transducer at the proper position in the water, and the signal cable connects the transducer to the control head. Because Johnson Outdoors believes in respecting the intellectual property of others, we specifically designed our assembly such that it would not infringe a specific patent relating to suspending an ice fishing transducer by its signal cable. For that reason, the transducer should be utilized per the instructions in the owner's manual at all times

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:02 AM »
It was added as a patent infridgement thing against another company. Toss it
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Online Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:07 AM »
It's a patent thing. I got tired of the plastic clip popping off all the time and the foam float getting in the way because I fish 6" holes. I tossed the support line and got rid of the float too. I just hang mine in the hole and make sure the 'ducer is below the ice so it isn't sitting at an angle against the side of the hole. Every once in a while a gill will get wrapped around the wire if I don't pull it, but otherwise, it works fine. If I do damage the 'ducer, I'll just shrug and get another one. Or maybe use it as an excuse to upgrade ;)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:33 PM »
My Ice 35 mentioned that support cable in the manual but did not come with one. Never had an issue with it.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:20 AM »
I also took the support cable off my 345c years ago ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.