Author Topic: High Winds in a Flip: Front Tube & Skirt Uplifting  (Read 1637 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
High Winds in a Flip: Front Tube & Skirt Uplifting
« on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Just getting ideas on how to limit my Clam Nanook Flip from taking a beating from " front section lifting"  during high winds.

I heard guys using chains, but dont know how they attached it... to the aluminum tubes or lower skirt?

Other ideas???

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Re: High Winds in a Flip: Front Tube & Skirt Uplifting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:29 PM »
put sand in the tubes to weigh them down - don't forget to seal the ends.  Or add a tube filled with sand and carry it on days when you need it.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I carry a couple of Eskimo Ice Anchors. My Recon has a couple of loops in each front corner that I can hook onto the anchor.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:33 PM »
I opened the end of the seams at the edge of the skirt and slip in some PVC tubing. Remove for transport. Helps weight it down a bit.

If it's too windy for that, I seek other shelter and an easy chair.     ;)2

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Never set the house up with the front or door facing into the wind. Back should always be into the wind. If there is snow on the lake bank the skirt down with snow. That is the way I always set up in any portable shack and I never have a problem with wind.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:14 PM »
I always set up back to wind also. If there is no snow I lay my spud on the side that is getting the most wind and my auger on the other.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I keep 6 pieces of 1/2" rebar 16" length in the sled .    Cordless drill-  1/2" drill bit - placed around the base of the sled.  Back to the wind,  extra rachet straps and anchors if needed, kick snow on the skirts to seal it up    hope this is helpful. 
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:14 AM »
Got a 48" of 1/2" conduit pipe and poured molten lead into it.  Hope to attach it to the front, lower bar.  Will try it out this week.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:23 AM »
The 2 flip overs we have came with the wind poles (attach between each hoop). That keeps it from lifting. If there is snow, we usually pile some on the skirt. If not, we'll throw some of our equipment on the skirt.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:48 PM »
I just use two small ankle or wrist weights. The ones that wrap around with velcro. Works perfectly looped around the front tubes and easy to take on and off

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Genius idea KOpower.  Thanks

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I had a suitcase shanty, shappell 3000, that had a 2 piece extendable pole that held the ends open. I made one for my clam guide to use it as a windbreak, this could also be used on the front of your shanty to keep it from lifting. I think clam calls them support poles. One could be easily made with thin walled conduit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.