Author Topic: Any safe ice in the mid western part of the state? Sunapee area?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Hey gang, first time posting this year...busy getting house,yard wrapped up for winter plus did a little more hunting this year...I admit I haven't spent anytime checking ice conditions out so I am looking for help. Has anyone checked out Little Sunapee or other lakes close by?  I hope to be fishing by xmas week since I have the whole week off.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
There should be safe ice out that way..  i live in hudson and was out all day fri.  and went out this morning.. caught 3 bows this morning 16-14-12in and missed 4 others..  all the action was between 7-830 and then is shut off...  check as u go...   almost all small ponds down this way have 3-5in on them.. beware of the snow on the ice...  be safe shaun

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
i drove up to sutton, which is only a few towns south of sunapee and the ice was sketchy. lots of snow on the ice, which real has insulated it. lots of slush and about 2 inches of ice. i checked a small acre pond called gile and kezar. basically, any place that has no snow has about 4 to 5 and anything with snow has 2 to 3
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline PSUfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
i was at little sunapee yesturday by the dam and there was about 2-3 inches.....went out today and got 9 bows 13-16 inches in an hour and a half....i couldn't believe it lol.....not at little sunapee though that is a good spot as well

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
thanks psufishman.....where did you go today or is that top secret?  I will venture out next weekend for sure...

Offline PSUfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
well i was going to head up to Mirror Lake in Thorton but ive never been there so i went to another small lake in the area and man were they biting!!!

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey gang, first time posting this year...busy getting house,yard wrapped up for winter plus did a little more hunting this year...I admit I haven't spent anytime checking ice conditions out so I am looking for help. Has anyone checked out Little Sunapee or other lakes close by?  I hope to be fishing by xmas week since I have the whole week off.

Hey Bruce,  how you been?  I might head up to Deweys next weekend. I drove by Saturday and it was locked up. A couple of spots looked a little iffy. It should be ok by this weekend. ;D   

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Hey there Darryl, hows it going?  Nice to hear from you..I am planning on hitting Dewey again this year but will have to wait till the first of the year since I did not buy a Vt license for this year....What are you planning on useing for bait...I used Goldens but now can not due to the new regs.   Please let me know how you do this coming weekend...I will be at Little Sunapee if this ice is ok there.....I will be a Deweys Jan. 1st...

Offline sawbelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Jibbs

My uncle lives on Kezer. I was thinking of coming up next weekend. What's up with the bait availibility/laws this year?

Tight lines, Jim

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you know nh.........live free or die..........anything goes......i don't live near kezar i just like to fish there. there are some monster bass in that place.........even though some are infested with worms
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline sawbelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last march I nailed three 6lb smallies on the same day. Two had worms but I released them all. Now if I only knew where to fish there the rest of the year :)

Tight lines, Jim

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
there is some trout there as well. also, if you have a chance check out gile pond.......its right by the fire station. i went there two years ago and we caught over a hundred pickeral. cost a ton in bait, but we had plenty of fun. there are some 3 pound to 3 1/2 pound pickeral in there.

Offline sawbelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gile is packed with picks some nice largemouth as well. Two years ago I caught a pickerel there that was 4" long. I wish I kept it for my fish tank! My uncle's buddy used to keep his bob house on Gile. I have done most of my fishing on Keezer since my uncle moved next to the lake 15 years ago. I can set up my traps then go inside and watch a game :)

Tight lines, Jim

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
do you know any other small ponds or lakes in the area?..........ones that have boat launches that can handle a bass tracker and has some parking

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey there Darryl, hows it going?  Nice to hear from you..I am planning on hitting Dewey again this year but will have to wait till the first of the year since I did not buy a Vt license for this year....What are you planning on useing for bait...I used Goldens but now can not due to the new regs.   Please let me know how you do this coming weekend...I will be at Little Sunapee if this ice is ok there.....I will be a Deweys Jan. 1st...

Bruce, I read on the Vermont board that Goldens are allowed for bait. I gonna go up and talk to Steve and clear that up. I might have the week of Christmas off. Let me know if you want to go hammer some fish.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Great Darryl, let me know what Steve says....I can't wait to hit Deweys again.  I fished Little Sunapee much of last year.  Did ok but I sure miss the Northerns...I have Dec. 23 through Jan. 2nd off....I do not have a Vt. license and won't be able to hit Dewey until Jan. 1st but you can bet I'll be one of the first there on the 1st.  let me know if you want to hook up somewhere here in NH that week....later,

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dewey's  is locked up but the spring hole s are still visable , so you might want to tread lightly.also I don't think goldens are on the certified bait list unless they come from the same body of water.BB

The personal harvest and use of wild fish as bait is prohibited, with the exception of yellow perch and rainbow smelt, which only can be used on the waters from which they were caught.
"       A person may buy, possess, transport, and use only Vermont approved species of baitfish.
"       Anyone purchasing baitfish must keep and show upon request a receipt for purchases of baitfish from a state-approved commercial bait dealer. Purchased baitfish can only be used on a single waterbody, and cannot be transported to other waters for use. Receipts are valid for 48 hours from time and date of sale. After this, the baitfish may not be used and must be destroyed and disposed of properly.
"       Anglers must not depart waters of the state with baitfish in their possession.

Commercial Bait Dealers - Permitted Activities and Restrictions

"       The commercial harvest, sale, and use of wild fish as bait are prohibited, except for those commercial dealers who will be designated as Lake Champlain Zone baitshops who then may only harvest wild bait from Lake Champlain, and only sell bait for use on Lake Champlain. Any other baitfish sold commercially must originate from a fish hatchery approved by the Commissioner.
"       A Commercial Bait Dealer may buy, possess, transport, and use only approved species of baitfish.
"       A Commercial Bait Dealer must provide each customer with a copy of a receipt containing the following information: 1) A unique receipt identification number, 2) The name of the bait dealer, 3) time and date of sale, 4) species purchased, 5) quantity purchased, 6) waterbody (limited to one) on which the bait will be used, 7) signature of purchaser.
"       Receipt forms will be provided to Commercial Bait Dealers by the Fish & Wildlife Department.
"       Commercial Bait Dealers must keep receipts and records of each individual lot of baitfish introduced into their shop for sale. The records must include the name of seller, address and telephone number of seller, date received, species identification, and number purchased. The permit holder shall retain the original receipts for at least one year after the date of sale.

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
I live in southern NH was on the ice monday on a small pond in chester Ice was a little thin 2-3 inches The water does move a little in this pond so ice takes a little longer to freeze, fishing was slow got one large mouth maybe 2 lbs. checked another pond in raymond had 4" of nice solid ice after this week there should be ice every where.  As far as Dewey's Haven't been there in maybe 5 years I used to use suckers for bait 6-8" long pike would eat em up. Not sure if you can still use suckers or not, matter a fact not even sure if I was suppose to use them then nobody ever said anything about it.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey bassranger.......what pond in chester.........calef or wash? did you go to onway today as well or governor's.......just curious......

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
wason pond in chester. I checked onway on monday that had 4"  didnt check the whole lake just straight out from launch. Do you fish these lakes

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
never heard of wason, but i go to onway a lot with my boat. there are some real nice bass in there and a ton of pickeral. i never ice fished the place however.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
SSSSHHHH don't say That to loud. Thats my little honey hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.