Author Topic: Ice Flies for Panfish -- The "Slab Spike" & "Gill Shrimp"  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Tanglemeister

• IceShanty Rookie
More ice fly possibilities:

I came across recipes for another another pair of ice flies that seemed like they should entice fish:  the "Slab Spike" and "Gill Shrimp."  You find those recipes and tying instructions here:  http://3brothersflies.com/2013/01/17/tying-ice-flies-for-winter-panfish/

I've tied and tried the Slab Spike on a Danielson Micro Ball Jig Head 1/64 oz. hook, which is about the right size.  It's an easy & quick tie but I have yet to get any takes on it.  (Truth be told, I only tried it a couple of times last winter.  I'll report back if it starts working better this winter.) 

The Gill Shrimp looks tasty, and will land hook up on the bottom.  I need to whip up a few of these in some lighter colors and see if they won't entice a bite with some bottom jigging.

Anyone have any luck with these patterns or others?

-Tanglemeister

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Ice Flies for Panfish -- The "Slab Spike" & "Gill Shrimp"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Very interesting. I have yet to get the time to get into tying. Most of the pan fish stuff I use is tungsten's with either a plastic body or just bait tipped. I imagine one day when all the kids are gone and I have more free time this may be something I get into. Thanks for sharing the links on the tying
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.