Author Topic: 2017  (Read 2725 times)

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Colder nights, hunting seasons upon us. Ice is coming. It'll be here before some are ready, but my ice gear is charged and ready to go.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 2017
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:54 PM »
AMEN to that!

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Already excited myself. Also got my finder charged up not long ago and did an inventory check.

Hoping to have a 4x4 pick up before the ice hits so I don't have to rely on others having free time too when I want to hit the ice. Twin Lakes over in Preston is on my list for a nice weekend trip, which I have done each of the past two seasons. Always come back really pleased with that place and a good pile of fish for the freezer.

In the meantime, while I patiently await the ice, I will be busy tying flies for an epic Montana/Idaho 12 day trip in summer 2018 with some friends who are flying in from the Midwest.

Cheers to the season!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:12 AM »
FishDoktor - what areas you going to fish in 2018?

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Twin Lakes is a must for me. I'd actually like to hit it 2 or 3 times if I have the time. Otherwise it will depend on how my weekends stack up. Living in Twin my two best options nearby are Salmon Falls and Magic. I've had good luck at both. Salmon Falls has been all trout for me. So depending on my need to fill the freezer, it could be catch and release there.

I've never gotten to do Cascade but I would like to and I'd love to get on CJ on the ice too if it works out. There are a few other small ones nearby (Dogwood etc) that I could check out too.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:52 PM »
FishDoktor, if you head my way,Preston, let me know. Love to fish with ya. Love ice fishing with anybody.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Will do, Irish.  I am fairly "solitary" when I fish for the most part even when I have other people with me (like to sit in my shanty and really focus on fishing) but I don't mind company.

Ice fishing and fly fishing are my game. I've been slowly building and upgrading my ice fishing set up. New shanty this past year. A frabil suitcase style. I prefer this style over the tent style ones and they are cheaper than most of the flip overs. I can also stand up in it no problem. I built a sled with some used skis from a thrift shop and some PVC. I am up to 7 rods and I think 5 tip ups...cant remember. I am still using an older Marcum Showdown. But the thing works. I did get a new battery for it so now I have 2. I am considering getting another finder sometime soon but keeping the showdown, especially if I bring any friends / non ice fishers along who wont have any gear. Got some ice armor gear on sale last year and a nice pair of Sorel boots. Once I get a pick up I am truly set.

I mentioned to a friend that I probably don't really NEED any actual ice gear this year. But then I said "lets be honest here....I'm still going to end up buying a bunch of stuff."

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:57 AM »
FishDoktor - what areas you going to fish in 2018?

I just realized you meant the summer trip. Haha. Sorry.

Wolf Creek area is the start of the trip. My one friend worked for an outfitters there and has good hookup for drift boats and lodging. Will fish the Missouri, South Fork of the Sun, and the North Fork Blackfoot (at least that is the current plan. Then we will cross into Idaho and I think fish the St. Joe, back through Montana and down through the Lost River Valley in Idaho and probably fish there. Then over to South Fork of the Snake to finish the trip off. Going to be jam packed. Fair amount of driving to. But should be really fun. And lots of fish likely.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I just realized you meant the summer trip. Haha. Sorry.

Wolf Creek area is the start of the trip. My one friend worked for an outfitters there and has good hookup for drift boats and lodging. Will fish the Missouri, South Fork of the Sun, and the North Fork Blackfoot (at least that is the current plan. Then we will cross into Idaho and I think fish the St. Joe, back through Montana and down through the Lost River Valley in Idaho and probably fish there. Then over to South Fork of the Snake to finish the trip off. Going to be jam packed. Fair amount of driving to. But should be really fun. And lots of fish likely.

Sounds like a great trip FD.....Enjoy !!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2017, 09:50 AM »
I am also planning on making a trip over to the Preston area this winter to fish Twin and Lamont probably. We did that last year and it was a lot of fun. That area is the closest for me to get into some decent panfish from up here in Wyoming. I would love to meet up with some of you guys if possible.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:08 PM »
Sounds good MassnTrash. Shoot a PM, and I'll start looking for ya.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I want to ice fish like yesterday....This may be the most impatient I have been in a long time. Haha.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Lows the last few days have been down in the mid teens so all of the small ponds have had a skim layer on them in the mornings. I took the lund out yesterday and the water temp on the bigger lakes is already down to 47 and the lakers are stacking up on the points. Should only be another month or so and we will be on hard deck!

IrishnID I'll shoot you a pm when we get closer I am trying to sort out my trips to Henry's and Cascade this year and then I'll fit the trip down to preston in there where I can.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:19 AM »
Ice season can't come soon enough.  I've been caturwauling about the ice since mid July haha.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I am going to shoot a big buck first.  Then I will go fishing again.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2017, 01:10 AM »
i've got a big elk trip this week, but as soon as that's done my thoughts will be purely of ice. there's some duck hunting and super late bass fishing that will probably be done, but those will only be distractions to postpone the itch.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:58 AM »
i've got a big elk trip this week.

Good luck!  If ever have too much game meat and need a place to donate, I'm nearby!   ;D
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2017, 01:56 AM »
no such luck.  :-\ inexperience with the area we were hunting, bad weather, and some poorly timed encounters with other hunters led to our utter defeat.  :'(

my brother's got a cow tag though, so he'll be out and about next week to try and fill it.

all said and done, i'm ready for ice. i'm gonna take inventory and do some re-organization of tackle, maybe film a prep video or something.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.