The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: smelts  (Read 587 times)

Offline northern_logger

• IceShanty Rookie
smelts
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Looking to go on a fishing trip this winter with smelts. The trip to camp is about 3 hours we keep the airiator running for the shiners powered from the truck. People I've talked to say to oxygenize the smelts water. Not sure how to do this. I've read to use oxygen tank that older people use to breath and just crack the valve so it bubbles. Does anyone have experience in this?

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
Re: smelts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:38 AM »
Looking to go on a fishing trip this winter with smelts. The trip to camp is about 3 hours we keep the airiator running for the shiners powered from the truck. People I've talked to say to oxygenize the smelts water. Not sure how to do this. I've read to use oxygen tank that older people use to breath and just crack the valve so it bubbles. Does anyone have experience in this?
You don't need Oxygen.. Its just nice to have it.   Last year I just used a 70 qt cooler and a black trash bag to darken the cooler up. And had 9 or 10 dozen smelt in it. Went to Ross lake about 3 1/2 hr drive up . When I got there just threw in a couple of airators they were fine for 3 days. I think it may depend if the smelts are fresh too not staying in the tanks too long. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline northern_logger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2014, 06:56 AM »
OK great I'm thinking about trying to catch them couple days before we go. So hopefully we have as good of luck with them as you.

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Some bait dealers will pump them with liquid oxygen and seal up the bags for transport.  We do a trip up to Allagash every winter and usually get around 10dz. smelts packaged this way and haven't ever had issues.  We bag them by 3 dz to so we only have to open what we need for the day and the others stay nice and fresh.

Offline northern_logger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I've heard of dealers doing that but never seen anyone do it where I'm from do u no where I can get some of the liquid oxygen

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:21 AM »
I would be more concerned with how many dozen smelts you put in your carrying container when using an aerator.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:24 AM »
liquid oxygen is that right? I always thought it was oxygen gas being released into the bags, then sealed so the oxygen would not escape and the would keep the water saturated.  Maybe we are saying the same thing but I would think if it was liquid going into the bag, then that would damage the smelts.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM »
wouldn,t liquid oxy be too cold for the fish?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:31 AM »
If you are using an aerator that's powered by the truck you don't need to add oxygen to the water. The only time you should need to add oxygen is if there is no other way to aerate the water.

Offline northern_logger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:39 PM »
OK thanks I've heard to put them in a round container or in a garbage bag so they can't run into the sides and hurt them selds is this also true?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.