Author Topic: Getting lookers top side  (Read 1303 times)

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Getting lookers top side
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Trying to figure out how to get lakers tops side after have a lot of lookers but no takers. I jig slow/fast pull it away from them, get lots of looks/chases but man to get them to commit is very hard. I use alot of different colour tubes, spoons and other types of plastics (with sucker tipped and sometimes without).  Any info you would be willing to share would be great.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Getting lookers top side
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Trying to figure out how to get lakers tops side after have a lot of lookers but no takers. I jig slow/fast pull it away from them, get lots of looks/chases but man to get them to commit is very hard. I use alot of different colour tubes, spoons and other types of plastics (with sucker tipped and sometimes without).  Any info you would be willing to share would be great.

What works best for me is not pounding the bottom.  I try and fish the middle third of the water column, this is where the moveable zoom on the humminbird units is great.  Vexilar and Marcum want you fish the bottom, thats the only place they let you zoom.  The most active lakers will be cruising the water column.  An active fish on the bottom will come get you.  I also find if ive got a fish or two that wont commit its time to leave.  No sense f'ing around with the same 3 fish for 2hours if they dont wanna bite.  Id rather move 10 times than keep changing my jig for a laker that isnt gonna bite anyway.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:39 AM »

What works best for me is not pounding the bottom.  I try and fish the middle third of the water column, this is where the moveable zoom on the humminbird units is great.  Vexilar and Marcum want you fish the bottom, thats the only place they let you zoom.  The most active lakers will be cruising the water column.  An active fish on the bottom will come get you.  I also find if ive got a fish or two that wont commit its time to leave.  No sense f'ing around with the same 3 fish for 2hours if they dont wanna bite.  Id rather move 10 times than keep changing my jig for a laker that isnt gonna bite anyway.
Agreed, find the active fish.  Then you won't need to worry about getting them to commit.

My Marcum lets me zoom anywhere I want, though!  That's not just a hummingbird feature.   ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Agreed, find the active fish.  Then you won't need to worry about getting them to commit.

My Marcum lets me zoom anywhere I want, though!  That's not just a hummingbird feature.   ;)
  what model? I thought the LXs just had bottom lock? Ive been looking to buy a second unit but want one with adjustable zoom.  I want a panoptix but thats kind of a big financial investment.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:46 AM »
  what model? I thought the LXs just had bottom lock? Ive been looking to buy a second unit but want one with adjustable zoom.  I want a panoptix but thats kind of a big financial investment.
Lx-3tc.  I've had it for 8 years without any problems, so it's an older model.

I think the movable zoom isn't available on VX-1 or M1 series flashers.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Lx-3tc.  I've had it for 8 years without any problems, so it's an older model.

I think the movable zoom isn't available on VX-1 or M1 series flashers.

Was just looking at the Marcum website, been a few years, maybe ill get an m5, they look pretty nice.  Guess its just vexilar that requires you to fish bottom, jerks.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Love my LX-5.  I rarely ever use the zoom.  Even at 50ft. ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:35 PM »
I hardly ever zoom either....I like to see the entire water column.  On my Helix, I have the flasher set to the entire water column and I chart the bottom. Kinda weird but it works for me (if I'm fishing deep).  Most lakers that are suspended are the really aggressive ones.  I find the ones at the bottom can be more tight lipped. *****s.

I also usually have a small soft plastic, a larger soft plastic, and metal (buckshots have been producing for me) --- gotta figure out what they want.  It's different every trip.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Yeah got a fl20 so I zoom the bottom 12' and watch the rest on the otherside of the screen, I do find if you see a mark in the middle of the column that fish will more than likely hit your bait no matter what you have on. Its those on the bottom that gets to me, cat and mouse chase for 2-5 mins then they just leave. Might need to be more mobile. Thanks for the tips.  BTW does the new helix have ajustable zoom?

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Yeah got a fl20 so I zoom the bottom 12' and watch the rest on the otherside of the screen, I do find if you see a mark in the middle of the column that fish will more than likely hit your bait no matter what you have on. Its those on the bottom that gets to me, cat and mouse chase for 2-5 mins then they just leave. Might need to be more mobile. Thanks for the tips.  BTW does the new helix have ajustable zoom?

Adjustable zoom and cone angle! :)

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I have a LX3tc and if you use the zoom feature it splits the view to the zoomed portion on one side and the entire water column on the other side which is nice when you see a suspended mark you can still raise up you lure.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Because of the positioning of their eyes on the head, fish are designed to look up and to the side, by fishing 20 to 40ft off the bottom youll attract a lot more active fish cruising below you than you will fishing the bottom, clearer the water the  better.

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:18 PM »

Every one of those blue pins is a hole I drilled on Saturday and I drilled about that many today up in granby after walking a mile one way to a piece of structure. I feel like a lot of people who fish lakers like to fish one spot all day. Walking 30' can change your life as I learned this weekend. Us being on foot I found some large structure and drilled holes all over it. I caught a nice 23" lake trout in 8' of water and I caught fish as deep as 71' today. They are all over and nothing is going to work everytime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.