Author Topic: Auger cord not pulling smoothly, jerks back very hard occasionally  (Read 1723 times)

Offline icedoutgoogan

• IceShanty Rookie
Bought an old Jiffy Model 30, just replaced the recoil assembly, and now when I try to pull the cord there is resistance about 4-5 times on a slow pull of the cord. When i do short quick pulls, there is also resistance, but sometimes i can hear the engine burp, and sometimes there is a nasty jerk back  from the cord that slams my knuckles into the auger. However, When i take the spark plug out, the recoil assembly pulls smoothly with no resistance. What do i need to do to fix this???

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
I would think the piston is at the top of the compression stroke when that happens so you probably want to slowly pull it until you get past it, then crank away. You could also try opening the throttle some. When my 40 year old gas auger doesn’t want to start I hold it wide open which always pulls easier and it always starts up. Last resort, purchase a k-drill.

Offline MTNBOYJD

• IceShanty Rookie
I had an Eskimo with a similar issue. Turned out it was a broken flywheel. Bought the parts and fixed it. Possibly something in the clutch also.
Them old model 30's are good drills. probably worth fixing.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Check the flywheel key if its cracked it will throw the timing off.come across it all the time when people hit something that stops the lawnmower engine suddenly and cracks or shears the key.pulling on the cord will rip your arm off and jerk back in violently.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.