The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Dirt in ice killing auger blades  (Read 3698 times)

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
Dirt in ice killing auger blades
« on: Jan 12, 2003, 02:21 PM »
Here in Colorado the ice formed then shortly there after the wind blew dirt and rocks across the reservoir.  This has created a layer of auger dulling gravel about 2 inches down.  I cannot afford to keep sharpening auger blades to get through this.  If anyone has delt with this or has any input to a solution it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Dirt in ice killing auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2003, 03:04 PM »
darossman,
Yeah, I went through the same thing about 2 weeks ago.  Fished Burbot off the Tanana river, and had a heck of a workout on the last couple holes.  The river has large amounts of glacier silt suspended throughout the ice.  Noticed silt was dulling my blades on my mora hand auger.  I think bringing the gas auger with a "chipper" blade may help.  Even dull blades on a gas auger beats hand auger blades.  Have you fished Spinney or Elevenmile reservors?  Fished below Spinney two summers ago and caught the biggest Cutthrout of my life, good time!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Barleydog
Yes, Elevenmile is where this is taking place.  I am using a Strikemaster 9" "chipper" the new triple blade design.  We are dealing with a bad drought this year.  The shoreline is actually about 200 yards from where it used to be.  Don't get me wrong...fishing is great.  The only problem is I am dulling sharp blades in about 10 - 15 holes.  Even though I love ice fishing this will not be cost effective for me.

Glad to hear about your cutthroat.  That was probably fly fishing the stretch between Spinney and Elevenmile.  Spinney is closed to ice fishing due to water levels changing in the winter.

Good luck to yah!

darossman

tj52

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2003, 05:30 PM »
i am having the same problem in sothern wyoming but no rocks just sand.  the sand in the ice is ruining my auger blades, i have an old strick master 2000 mag with a 10 inch chiper blade and dulls the chiper blades as well.  but i love ice fishing so i guess i will keep buying blades untill i am broke lol.  

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2003, 12:46 PM »
Well I guess using the gas auger may not work eh?  I use a Strikemaster 2000 also, but thought the chipper blade would do the trick!  Dang you guys sure know how to spoil my idea.
darossman, What are you catching up at Elevenmile?  Is the state still trying to promote the catch and kill of Pike in the reservor?  Yeah, I caught about 15-20 cutts and bows on the lower stretch, (below the cattle crossing).  The biggest was 25 1/2" Cutthrout that hit a hopper with a dropper.  I was crossing the river with my line still dangeling in the water and "bam" he hit!  Prettiest Cutt I ever held, really made my whole trip to Colorado!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2003, 04:04 PM »
I've been catching Pike in 5 feet or less.  There is still no bag limit on Pike.  They drained Antero this year and transported fish to Elevenmile.  I have caught plenty of 18-20 inch Rainbows.  Last weekend I went deeper using a Vexilar FL-18 and caught 2 Kokanee salmon.  I was in about 30 feet of water which would normally be about 60 feet at normal water levels.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2003, 08:43 PM »
Heard they slay the Kokanee's there with "sling blade" lures.  Not to big but fun to catch!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2003, 06:11 PM »
Yeah Kokanee's really are not my "bag".  I am burned out on rainbows and pike.  Going to try and get out to Twin Lakes this weekend for Mak's.  I just need to get away from the whole Elevenmile thing, been fishing there for quite sometime.  Need a change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.