The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Pros & Cons of Strikemaster Mag 2000  (Read 18964 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pros & Cons of Strikemaster Mag 2000
« on: Feb 04, 2003, 10:33 AM »
I can pick up a new Strikemaster Mag 2000 for 219.99.  I was wondering if anyone has any complaints or good things to say about the Mag.  How does the chipper blade cut?  A good winter around here is 8 to 12 inches.  I see no reason spending another 80.00 bucks on a Jiffy with the same motor, but different blades that I would assume cut the same as the Mag.  Any suggestions appreciated.  thanks  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Pros & Cons of Strikemaster Mag 2000
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2003, 12:18 PM »
I used the Mag III(older Mag 2000) for many years with no complaints. If I hadn't injured my back I would still have it. I went to a lighter weight model auger(NillsMaster). The Mag isn't the fastest or lightest auger out there but with a little maintenance it started and performed every year. I think I had it for 8 years and only replaced the pull cord recoil ! My buddy has it now and he loves it. Also when I say it isn't the fastest we are only talking a second or two going thru a foot of ice.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2003, 01:19 PM »
The Mag 2000 is adequate for most ice 16" or less.  Sure, some augers are faster and more powerful than the 2000 but honestly how fast do you really need to cut thru the ice?  I can cut thru 15" here in PA with my Mag 2000 chipper in around 10 seconds.  Multiply that times 5 holes for a total cut time of 50 seconds.  Sure, with a 3h.p. with lazer blades you could cut each hole in 4-5 seconds, saving 25-30 seconds overall.  BIG DEAL!!  A 30 second difference isn't going to determine whether or not I'm going to fish....for that matter, what's another 30 seconds of sitting on your butt watching your tip ups?  It's not like the action gets so fast and furious that I can't afford to spare an extra 30 seconds.  I mean who cares  As long as I don't have to drill them by hand, I'm happy.

Offline Colt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2003, 04:15 PM »
I split mine last year with a friend and we don't really have any problems with it.  It cuts through the ice pretty easy and is certainly better than using a hand auger for 15 inches of ice.  The blade got pretty dull and last week and my buddy sharpened it up and it cut through the ice on Oneida last week without any problems.

My only con would be the spring that pulls the throttle level back in place is a little weak and when it gets really cold it sometimes sticks a little.

Big_Mean

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2003, 03:24 PM »
I ALSO HAVE 2000 MAG WORKS GREAT. I ALSO FIND THROTTLE STICKING IN COLD. GOING TO PUT GRAFITE LUBE
ON IT. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS BIG-MEAN

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Pros- Light, Light, Light, cuts through thick ice with extention with little problem, decent price, doesn't "ice up" like my stinkin' Jiffy, easy to sharpen chipper blade, easy operation, did I mention light wieght?

Cons- Won't "finish" the hole without jerkin' you around a little, goes a little slower than my Jiffy, but if 10 seconds is a big deal to ya, you may want to pick up a different sport! ;D

Great unit worth 215.00 and change, and for that many inches of ice, you'll love it!  Good luck
TEAM ALASKA

Offline ronwhtgmc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the thicker the better
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2003, 07:15 AM »
I'm also looking for a power auger...where can you get a new 2000 for 219 if you don't mind me asking?
don't mind me...I'm just an icehole

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2003, 08:06 AM »
ronwhtgmc, look at a Nils Master, Tanaka or a Husqvarna.  They are all lighter than any of the augers that use Tecumseh engines.  However, they are pricier, so I guess that the law of diminishing returns comes into play, in that how much more is a person willing to pay for less weight.  I know that both the Tanaka and Husky engines are more reliable, both from my own experience, and from others that I fish with.  Try them out if you have a dealer near you.  They usually don't have a problem with it, at least they don't up here.  At this time of year, they may sell them for a decent discount, rather than carry them over until next fall.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2003, 10:19 AM »
i love mine!  never used another brand though, but its much better than an old hand auger...lol.  
BUD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.