Author Topic: Salmon through the ice  (Read 5729 times)

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmon through the ice
« on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I'm just curious if your guys heads are where mines at on this topic. i think it is bs that us ice fishermen are not allowed to take salmon through the ice. i came to this understanding through reason not jealously. Us ice fishermen pay the same 35 dollars as everyone else does for a license. the same amount of revenue is take from my license as an open water fishermens license to go to the stocking program. so in essence we are paying for these fish and are not allowed to take them. i do not fish many of the big lakes during the spring and summer, so why cant i take the fish through the ice? here is what i would like to see. F&G make a minimum legnth for ice fishermen only even if it is big say like 22 or 24 inches, and have a strict rule of one fish per day. anyone see anything wrong with this. take the older fish right, just like deer management. oh yeah i do not want to hear any of the getting the hook out will wound the fish too badly for catch and release, because trebles in the spring are 3 times as bad. I'm just saying that we ice fishermen should be able to take advantage of all that we pay for.
What are you thought on this.

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmon through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:25 AM »
The big reason they couldn't do a minimum size in the winter is this: You'd have to take the salmon out of the water to measure it. People would be pulling every 15" salmon out of the water and into the cold to measure it. Salmon are no where near as strong of a fish as some others... the amount of salmon that would die due to the exposure to cold is way too high to warrant ice fishing for them. This is the reason F&G asks that you do not remove salmon from the water to remove a hook... just cut the line and let them go. Add to the death ratio the fact that catching salmon through the ice is easier than taking candy from a baby and you'll see how quickly the salmon population would drop. It would be crazy.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:48 AM »
What about salmon caught on a jig?Do they want you to cut your jig?

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I don't agree with any thing except being allowed to keep some occasionally. I pay for it the same as the guys with the big boats.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Fish caught with a jig are typically hooked near the edge of the mouth where you can easily remove the hook. Nothing wrong with removing any hook that is easily accessible like that. But still, its best for the salmon (or any fish really) if you don't take them out of the water while doing so; especially on days as cold as the last few. We won't even take a fish (of any species) out of the hole for a picture on days like these. Why risk it??

But then again... myself and the guys I fish with always cut the line near the bait hook rather than try removing the hook. We do this for any species of trout or salmon that we do not intend to keep and any of the warmwater species that are not hooked where we can quickly remove the hook. The less we handle the fish, the healthier they will remain for the next guy. I guess, to me, cutting the leader is just habit. I'd rather replace a dozen twenty cent hooks in a day than injure a dozen fish... that's why we buy hooks in bulk.  ;D
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:59 AM »
That might be why fish and game started stockong eainbows ih the big lakes to give the ice fisherman another specie to go after, and taking the pressure off the salmon  i know what you mean it woukd be nice to take a salmon home once in a while  But as slip knot said they are easy to catch thru the ice
May your flags never have the bends

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:06 AM »
So can anyone explain to me how the state of Maine is able to do this without depleting their salmon population .

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Do they get as many salmon thru the ice in maine as they do in NH i dont know  This i know the state of maine has alot mote salmon water than the state of NH Therefore the pressure is spread out over a greater area whereas in Nh the Lakes with salmon which are far less than maine has would probaly get hammered if salmon could be taken  just my thoughts
May your flags never have the bends

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:25 AM »
thats exactly right airplane more dispersed pressure !!!

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I would still like more input. I believe its the states way to keep more revenue coming in .. THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR TO SUPPORT ALOT OF BEARUCRATIC CRAP.

Offline bluefingah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Funny I was just talking about his yesterday with a buddy. My argument was that in vt you may keep two salmon over 15" a day through the ice and the population seems quite stabile, perhaps they stock a lot more salmon i don't know for sure. 
I was at lake willoughby yesterday and caught a couple in the twenty inch range along with a couple lakers about the same size. I let them all go.  Personally i don't keep many trout, salmon, pike, or bass, as i prefer eating perch or cusk.  A couple big salmon a year are nice for family gatherings or parties though (definitely tastier than lakers) and it's nice to be able to say yes i really caught that 5 pound salmon locally.
In short i agree that we should be able to keep salmon through the ice, real sportsmen wouldn't abuse this privilege. and all the clowns out there are probably hauling them out, posing for a picture, yanking the hook and throwing them back to die after five minutes in the air, thats if they don't think its a brown and keep it.
Just my two cents BD

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2009, 03:46 PM »
My take its all about money anyways most seasonal new hampshire residents or tourists who fish the big lakes for salmon during the spring/summer f&g wants them to catch fish so they keep spending year after year on licenses etc. And if you have people taking them through the ice theres less fish for them to catch in the spring/summer lower catch rates and more would have to be spent on stocking fish. Regardless of looking at it from the other way around that its to maintain the fishery that they cant be taken through the ice is irrelevant, these fish are mostly all maintained through stocking with minimal natural reproduction. If you look at the data from other states in similar situations that allow winter take you can see how it can work; however to work it would take more stocking and thus more money spent with no change in whats coming in to support this. Looking at it like this is a no brainer as to why winter take isnt allowed.

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:14 PM »
i do not agree with Geo. if you want to keep catching them during spring, leave them under the ice during winter. the rule is there for a reason. if you want to catch them, do it when it's legal. salmon fishing in NH is better than it is in VT, i think....
>))))))>

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Some of us don't have a boat  to catch them in the spring or summer. So heres my take on it. Those with boat registrations can keeP them in the summer and those that don't can keep them in the winter , same length limit .

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:31 PM »
 I'd like to see them open the season year round. Then we could open all the lakes to smelting like when I was a kid. Fewer salmon = more smelts.

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I find that maine doesnt have as many salmon. I can go to winni catch 2-5lbers all day...I have yet to find a place in maine to do that.

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Some of us don't have a boat  to catch them in the spring or summer.

not the states fault, i dont have a boat either
law is still there for a reason.
>))))))>

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I'm just curious if your guys heads are where mines at on this topic. i think it is bs that us ice fishermen are not allowed to take salmon through the ice. i came to this understanding through reason not jealously. Us ice fishermen pay the same 35 dollars as everyone else does for a license. the same amount of revenue is take from my license as an open water fishermens license to go to the stocking program. so in essence we are paying for these fish and are not allowed to take them. i do not fish many of the big lakes during the spring and summer, so why cant i take the fish through the ice? here is what i would like to see. F&G make a minimum legnth for ice fishermen only even if it is big say like 22 or 24 inches, and have a strict rule of one fish per day. anyone see anything wrong with this. take the older fish right, just like deer management. oh yeah i do not want to hear any of the getting the hook out will wound the fish too badly for catch and release, because trebles in the spring are 3 times as bad. I'm just saying that we ice fishermen should be able to take advantage of all that we pay for.
What are you thought on this.

Hi Geo,
It sounds like because you target Rainbow, you've been hookin into some NICE Salmon.  ;D :thumbsup:  Me too.
I catch my share of Salmon in the Spring/Summer, and was also feeling that something could be done for those of us on the ice.  Always fun and very hard getting those 5lb+ salmon to the hole, only to reach for the nailclippers and CLIP close to the hook..  Ugh. :'(
There are a lot of damaged fish out there because of the treble.  
However, I see a lot of thoughtful reasons in this post as to why the rules are the way they are.
Hope to see you out on Newfound lake sometime.

Newfound Bloodhound

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Yes.  I find this no salmon thru ice rule in NH infuriating.  Perhaps it is due to my poor ice fishing skills that i'm skewed to this standpoint.  I've fished East Grand, Moosehead, Sebago and the Salmon ARE fewer in between, But, at least give me back my five traps If I can't keep the L.L's.!  The two trap limit on top of no salmon seems excessive and ludicrous in that light.  As far as taking candy from babies, every spring I watch a huddled mob of pillagers RAPE the salmon from the Wentworth outlet into Winne in beautiful down-town Wolfeboro on fly, spin, cast, kiddy, (christ) CANE POLES.  Just wait for some hard rain and hurry, hurry, hurry to get your spot by bridge, space is somewhat limited.  

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:18 PM »
As far as taking candy from babies, every spring I watch a huddled mob of pillagers RAPE the salmon from the Wentworth outlet into Winne in beautiful down-town Wolfeboro on fly, spin, cast, kiddy, (christ) CANE POLES.  Just wait for some hard rain and hurry, hurry, hurry to get your spot by bridge, space is somewhat limited.  

I would recommend that you write a letter to F&G about the "pillaging" you are witnessing. Get them to take a look into it and perhaps close that section of water to fishing?? I agree... sounds like its way too easy to get fish from that spot. Not sure what else could be done there?

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Yes.  I find this no salmon thru ice rule in NH infuriating.  Perhaps it is due to my poor ice fishing skills that i'm skewed to this standpoint.  I've fished East Grand, Moosehead, Sebago and the Salmon ARE fewer in between, But, at least give me back my five traps If I can't keep the L.L's.!  The two trap limit on top of no salmon seems excessive and ludicrous in that light.  As far as taking candy from babies, every spring I watch a huddled mob of pillagers RAPE the salmon from the Wentworth outlet into Winne in beautiful down-town Wolfeboro on fly, spin, cast, kiddy, (christ) CANE POLES.  Just wait for some hard rain and hurry, hurry, hurry to get your spot by bridge, space is somewhat limited.  

I think you kinda answered your own post with your own post.  ;D
The Spring fishing is why non are allowed through the ice.  

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:22 PM »
i'd pay for an icefishing salmon tag/permit to help pay for putting salmon back.  $10 for residents.  $200 for non-residents.  ;D
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Maybe they should do the same deal with rainbows..(can't keep rainbows caught on open water)just kidding ;D
Jig em up!

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:54 PM »
i'd pay for an icefishing salmon tag/permit to help pay for putting salmon back.  $10 for residents.  $200 for non-residents.  ;D

love that idea.  I pay for migratory bird stamps in other states and am pleased to do it.  Best part of owning house in "FLAT LAND" and paying ridiculous property taxes is that I could save a few bucks with your suggested disparity of fee.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:24 PM »
we have this go round every year  ;D
take a gander over to the massachusett 4m and see the photos of the broodstock salmon stocked in there fisheries last week.
and your allowed to fish for them  ;D
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=100931.0

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:26 PM »
:nono:

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:33 PM »
:nono:
I'm with you bro, mainer too. Answering sarcasm with slam.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:40 PM »
we have this go round every year  ;D
take a gander over to the massachusett 4m and see the photos of the broodstock salmon stocked in there fisheries last week.
and your allowed to fish for them  ;D
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=100931.0

Hey bud, I got props in NH, an extension of the Flat Land.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I think you kinda answered your own post with your own post.  ;D
The Spring fishing is why non are allowed through the ice.  
Why only two traps then??

Offline TogueTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:19 PM »
For what it is worth here is my two cents.  Having fished salmon through the ice in Maine I can tell you these fish pale in comparison to the Salmon we have in in New Hampshire.  There are many factors behind this but not being able to keep them in the winter helps to produce nice healthy fish for us to catch during open water.  I am not sure about everyone else here on the board but I will gladly put them back in the winter because of the excellent open water fishery it creates.  There are pleanty of other species I can target through the ice so fo me it is no big deal.  I do understand some of the frustration with this law but as sportsmen we can not always have our cake and eat it too.  What I mean by this is if we were to open Salmon through the ice the next thing both open and hardwater fishermen would start complaining about is that the Salmon are not as big as they used to be and that their catch rates have gone down.  So what I mean by this is that as soon as you change one thing something else is affected negitively, then that will be the next thing the same people complain about. I persoanlly love both ice and open water fishing but there is nothing like anticipating ice out so we can go chase those fat Salmon we have been thinking about all winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.