Author Topic: Jig rod suggestions  (Read 37302 times)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: Jig rod suggestions
« Reply #60 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:37 AM »
I bought those combos for years and fought with the poor quality reels frosen eyes and cheap stiff line.
I'm done with that now.
last year I put at the top of my Xmas list a president reel and ice magic line put that on one of the cheap poles I got and wow. I will never buy the box store junk again I wish I had bought quality years ago.
I have two drawers of junk ice rods that added up could have been 2 or 3 quality setups still in my rod case.
That president is now taped to a brand new meatstick and hoping Santa brings me another 29" meatstick ;D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the responses to my questions.  It looks like maybe I can pick up (and should) the HT combos.  We're in a heated shanty 95% of the time so maybe the eyelets on the blue ice won't be too troublesome.  I liked the tip sensitivity on both.  Most of the fishing we do is under 10 ft so if we go out with crappy reels that decide they are done working it's not the end of the day.  Can always buy nicer reels later.  I was looking at Farm and Fleet and found some different "cheaper" brand combos that I really liked the feel and tip action of as well.  I know you get what you pay for but if it looks like what I am looking for I might as well try it out.  If nothing else it's a backup.

Thanks again!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I always end up chucking the reels that come on combos anyway, I just basicly look for good rods and put my choice of reel on them.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:13 PM »
so is this a decent combo
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-BlueAccucast-Ice-RodReel-Combos_p.html

or is it better to pair that rod with a higher accucast (4 or 6 ball bearing)?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:56 PM »
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-BlueAccucast-Ice-RodReel-Combos_p.html

Ive never used the Accucast 102, so I cant say how it will be. I do know that the 104 is great, so Id say go for it and upgrade the reel if needed.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up an Ice Blue 24" L in a pawn shop tonight for 5 bucks! Woooooo!! (complete with a jig tied on already)

Only problem is its got an HT Intrigue reel on it, which appears to be a piece of crap.  But hey for $5 I can get a Accucast 106 or something later. The Ice Blue is pretty good feeling, you will like it once you get one.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering the combo, getting a 106 and putting the 106 on the combo and putting the 102 on a cysco from walmart.  That leaves me with the reel off the walmart rig that I can have as a backup or something else.  The nicer reel goes to my lady, gotta keep her happy fishing (and happy about me continuing to spend money).

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering the combo, getting a 106 and putting the 106 on the combo and putting the 102 on a cysco from walmart.  That leaves me with the reel off the walmart rig that I can have as a backup or something else.  The nicer reel goes to my lady, gotta keep her happy fishing (and happy about me continuing to spend money).

You could just buy the Ice Blue rod without reel from FishUSA (possibly the Ice Blue Pro) and order an Accucast at the same time. (1 good combo down) Then use the red Optimax reel and Cysco as the combo they are anyways. (1 ok combo down)

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Well I thought I had my plan of attack figured out but now I don't know!  Is the 106 worth it over the 104?  $3.oo isn't much but it's half the cost of shipping. 

The difference between my two plans is $11 and the walmart rig gets the 102 (off the combo) or the walmart rig stays with the optimax.   Walmart also sells the ice blue with optimax for 17.96.  It's definitely worth getting a better reel right away right? Sorry for so much nonsense on my part.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I only have the 104s, and they are great in my opinion.

Im assuming the 106s are a bit smoother, but thats just a guess.

My plan of attack has changed a dozen times in 1 year, so dont feel bad. LOL

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:16 PM »
That's a pretty awesome thrift store find by the way! 

I'm still debating what to do but I'm kicking myself for not moving faster and getting the free shipping yesterday.

We still have a ways to go before the ice gets here anyway.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Yeah theres still some time.

Where are you located?

Do you shop on ebay?

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Wisconsin and yup, too much sometimes lol.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Ahh a cheesehead? Packers look freakin good on offense, wish my Jets did.....

Youve probably seen all the ebay ice fishing stuff twice over same as me then. LOL

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Actually no. Spent more time there during archery season than ice fishing, never really considered looking there. And yes, definitely a cheese head. Have my radio ready for on the ice.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Theres a ton of ice fishing stuff on ebay, Im watching 178 things on my list right now. (if I had $$$ I would own alot of it too. ehh)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #75 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:01 AM »

I bought one of them 2 years ago the reel is toast now lasted 2 years.
But I love that rod in 30" it seems to be my lucky rod.
I just put a Dave Genz Power Stick Reel on it now it's ready to rip some more lips.
Thomas Harris

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:16 AM »
I just put a Dave Genz Power Stick Reel on it now it's ready to rip some more lips.
  The 8815?  Two years isn't too bad for a reel in my opinion.  Still kicking around what to do. 

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:41 AM »

I have a Power Stick reel and I dont like it at all, drag fetches up and the bail assembly flops all around.

I dont even use it any more its so bad....

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:46 AM »
  The 8815?  Two years isn't too bad for a reel in my opinion.  Still kicking around what to do. 

Id stick with the Accucasts if youre debating on a reel, its the best HT micro reel Ive used.

They are so similar to the President 6720 that its a slam dunk. The President 6720/new 6920 are around 50-60 bucks, where the Accucast 104/106 is $17-20.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:56 AM »

Your better off spending a little extra money on a better reel. You can skimp on the rod a little. I've never seen/felt an HT reel I would use myself.

This (500FD)
http://www.fishusa.com/Shimano-Sienna-FD-Spinning-Reels_p.html

and This
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Pro-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html

I know the rod and reel add up to twice the price of the combo you listed in the link however the rod/reel I posted is a far better combo and the reel will actually last, have a smooth drag and will spin smooth.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #80 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:03 AM »
I have a Power Stick reel and I dont like it at all, drag fetches up and the bail assembly flops all around.

I dont even use it any more its so bad....

I bought 2 they both seem solid to me.
Thomas Harris

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I bought 2 they both seem solid to me.

The red ones?

Dunno, but I couldnt even use it in 15 degree temps the drag was so bad.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Your better off spending a little extra money on a better reel. You can skimp on the rod a little. I've never seen/felt an HT reel I would use myself.

This (500FD)
http://www.fishusa.com/Shimano-Sienna-FD-Spinning-Reels_p.html

and This
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Pro-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html

I know the rod and reel add up to twice the price of the combo you listed in the link however the rod/reel I posted is a far better combo and the reel will actually last, have a smooth drag and will spin smooth.

I agree on getting a good reel to put on the Ice Blue. (love to get a Pro myself too) But the Accucast (metal 104 and 106) IS a quality reel and has silky smooth drag that worked at 0 degrees outside. Its nowhere near the junky reel the Optimax and Intrigue that come on the combos are, its a very good reel in my opinion. The plastic Accucast 102 is pretty junky though.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #83 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:14 PM »
The red ones?

Dunno, but I couldnt even use it in 15 degree temps the drag was so bad.
Yes the red one
How do they work inside?
I have not used them in the cold yet seem in my basement.
Man I hope you just got a bad one or I'm stuck with 2 more junk reels.
I'm ordering a Pflueger 4520GXX Trion to have on hand in case they bomb out on me.
If they do I'm gona be writing to Mr Genz.
This is the description of the reel.

Dave Genz Ice Fishing Reels – There’s a reason they call him “Mr. Ice Fishing”. Dave spends as much time as anyone and much more than most ice fishing. His line of ice fishing reels have been put through the wringer with vigorous use in pursuit of multiple fish species. Numerous tweaks and adjustments were made before Dave would put his stamp of approval and name on these combos.
•Powerstick Reel (8815)
•Lightweight 2+1ball-bearing reel
•Infinite Anti-reverse 
Thomas Harris

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Yes the red one
How do they work inside?
I have not used them in the cold yet seem in my basement.
Man I hope you just got a bad one or I'm stuck with 2 more junk reels.
I'm ordering a Pflueger 4520GXX Trion to have on hand in case they bomb out on me.
If they do I'm gona be writing to Mr Genz.
This is the description of the reel.

Dave Genz Ice Fishing Reels – There’s a reason they call him “Mr. Ice Fishing”. Dave spends as much time as anyone and much more than most ice fishing. His line of ice fishing reels have been put through the wringer with vigorous use in pursuit of multiple fish species. Numerous tweaks and adjustments were made before Dave would put his stamp of approval and name on these combos.
•Powerstick Reel (8815)
•Lightweight 2+1ball-bearing reel
•Infinite Anti-reverse 

Maybe I did just get a bad one, but it just feels cheesy, functions poorly and looks cheesy to me. (plastic plastic plastic)  Inside the shack the drag worked better, but it still had hitches. I was using the reel for toothy critters like chain pickerel with Fireline Ice Fused superline on my broomstick Rhino Indestructable M, so the drag working good wasnt TOO much of an issue as long as it worked a little. I thought it shouldve performed way better than it did though, and with lighter line and a lighter pole it would be troublesome. I loosened up the drag to play out line and lessen the hitch's, but that seemed to make the bail assembly even floppier. I just think this is a piss poor reel...

His True Blue reels look to be better quality, but I havent used one yet.

I havent used a Trion yet (I have a couple Presidents), but I guarentee its 3 times the reel the Power Stick is.

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:03 PM »

As a matter of fact, I just picked up an Ice Blue 24" L in a pawn shop tonight for 5 bucks! Woooooo!! (complete with a jig tied on already)
Only problem is its got an HT Intrigue reel on it, which appears to be a piece of crap.  But hey for $5 I can get a Accucast 106 or something later. The Ice Blue is pretty good feeling, you will like it once you get one.

Haha, I'm an idiot.  I think that same combo but UL is what I ended up ordering online because they price wasn't bad.  I finally made a decision today and it was the wrong one (of course).  Anyway, it wasn't more than it would have been in the store for an ice blue combo, will just probably want to replace the reel soon.  I think I'll end up picking myself up the cysco yet and seeing how the crappy reels go.  If they are terrible (or if extra dough shows up this month) I'll order the 104 accucasts. 

Thanks again!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Haha, I'm an idiot.  I think that same combo but UL is what I ended up ordering online because they price wasn't bad.  I finally made a decision today and it was the wrong one (of course).  Anyway, it wasn't more than it would have been in the store for an ice blue combo, will just probably want to replace the reel soon.  I think I'll end up picking myself up the cysco yet and seeing how the crappy reels go.  If they are terrible (or if extra dough shows up this month) I'll order the 104 accucasts. 

Thanks again!

Did you order the Ice Blue/Accucast combo from FishUSA you mentioned before? I think you will be ok with that for a little while, but yeah adding a 104 would be better when you can. I think the combos are all L action though (they are very light though, and sensitive). Are you sure you got an UL?

The Cysco reels are Optimax if I recall, not as crappy as the Intrigue at least.

The line is pretty heavy on them, Id get some better line too. Trilene Micro Ice 2 or 3 pound test should be easy to find, and is pretty good but inexpensive.

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:08 AM »
No I bought a  Model No.: IB-24SC, Length: 24", Power: Ultra-light off a different site.  I think it's exactly what you got for $5.00.  Oh well.  I think you're correct about them being Light, even though they are labeled ultra light.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Mine is a L, but very light.

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Yup, very likely going to be the same thing.  I picked up a Cysco today and noticed that it has the optimax reel but the ice blues have the intrigue reel at the store also.  The rods look nice at least.  Definitely more sensitive than others in the combo racks.  I've been tapping racks and shaking poles like a crazy person everytime I go in the store. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.