Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Has anyone tried these.. A little pricey but they look like there worth it...
   http://www.mycoolingstore.com/hillsound.html?gclid=CMXClvKS8MkCFVCQHwodvTcJZQ
                              Same thing I use, Trailcrampton!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:56 PM »
If I didn't own a full set of ice crampons, I'd buy a hillsound ice cleats. 

http://www.backcountrygear.com/crampons/grivel-g10-crampons.html

The Grivel is what I have for the past five plus years.

The hillsound trail crampon pro looks much easier to strap on and costs much less.  I would buy this as a replacement.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:08 PM »
The  Hillsound trail crampton is very easy to put on ,and it stays on, have had my set for over 3 yrs, no problems!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:16 PM »
If you want to go the route of screwing your boots... Check out your local ATV/Snowmobile/Dirt Bike shop and see if they have ice racing screws. I spend most of my summer walking up rivers for work and we cover our wading boot lugs with these screws. We get a box of 250 for less than $25 and they will typically last for ~30 miles of hiking on rocky streambeds. I'm sure they would last much longer on ice.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:25 PM »
If you want to go the route of screwing your boots... Check out your local ATV/Snowmobile/Dirt Bike shop and see if they have ice racing screws. I spend most of my summer walking up rivers for work and we cover our wading boot lugs with these screws. We get a box of 250 for less than $25 and they will typically last for ~30 miles of hiking on rocky streambeds. I'm sure they would last much longer on ice.

Like these.... :)
http://www.magicracing.com/Kold-Kutter-38-Ice-Racing-Screws-250-Pack_p_60111.html#.VnnNsLY4FxB

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:55 PM »
We have used those and the "original gold" ice screws. Probably doesn't matter much on ice but the gold ones last longer for river walking.

Like these.... :)
http://www.magicracing.com/Kold-Kutter-38-Ice-Racing-Screws-250-Pack_p_60111.html#.VnnNsLY4FxB

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:42 PM »
My vote is for Stabilicers, I have had mine for 9 years now and not one lost screw out of the bottom and they still look like they are brand new.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:24 AM »
My vote is for Stabilicers, I have had mine for 9 years now and not one lost screw out of the bottom and they still look like they are brand new.

I have a size 14 wide boot and the XL stabilicers fall off a lot....   :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:46 PM »
KAHTOOLAS.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:35 PM »
I am interested in the kahtoolas but can anyone tell me if they put alot of pressure on the top of your foot? I broke the  top of my foot a few years ago and it can't take much pressure on the top part of my foot above the arch before I am in some real pain. I have to be very careful with what shoes I buy and wear and from the pics I found online it looks like they kinda rest behind the toes, headed up the top of the foot. BTW I wear Muck Artic sport boots, so no real rigidity there to keep the pressure away.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:43 PM »
I am interested in the kahtoolas but can anyone tell me if they put alot of pressure on the top of your foot?  BTW I wear Muck Artic sport boots, so no real rigidity there to keep the pressure away.

I wear the Mucks Artic sports ...no problem with any pressure down ...most of the pressure would be from tip of toe to heel on the bottom ...what size Mucks ...large fits my size 10
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:45 PM »
I am interested in the kahtoolas but can anyone tell me if they put alot of pressure on the top of your foot? I broke the  top of my foot a few years ago and it can't take much pressure on the top part of my foot above the arch before I am in some real pain. I have to be very careful with what shoes I buy and wear and from the pics I found online it looks like they kinda rest behind the toes, headed up the top of the foot. BTW I wear Muck Artic sport boots, so no real rigidity there to keep the pressure away.
Nope! Got same exact set up and love them!!! You really can run on ice!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Can't believe how many people like those kahtoola spikes.....first spikes I ever tried. Man did I hate them. Didn't fit right, chains rusted, spikes rusted, and then the rubber started breaking. Went to stabilizers which were nice for a while until the screws starting coming loose and the velcro straps started ripping. I fixed the velcro and put in the kold  cutter screws next to the old holes in the bottom. Lost more than half the screws the first time out - not enough thread and the thread was not aggressive enough to get a good bite.

Last year I got a pair of Korkers Snowjack with the interchangeable soles and I love them. They came with a set of carbide studded outsole that have been amazing. I can run on black ice with no worries. Surprisingly I haven't even had one carbide tip break or come loose yet. On top of that, the boots are super warm and comfy. They also offer a more progressive winter studded outsole as well but I haven't felt the need for that yet.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, I wear a 9 but got a 10 to fit wool socks and give my foot some room. Been comfy so far, but the spill I took the other day trying to get over to my tip up has my butt feeling broken, and me looking for good cleats.

Offline AdirDONdack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "I love the smell of perch bait in the morning"
« Reply #74 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:17 AM »
I bought a pair of Hillsound's  Freestep6 at Dick's this year and am very happy so far.  Had a total knee replacement in December so I really don't need to fall.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:20 AM »
I bought a pair of Hillsound's  Freestep6 at Dick's this year and am very happy so far.  Had a total knee replacement in December so I really don't need to fall.
                          Have the same, they are great, and you better have them on today!!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Any issues with the chain links coming apart on the Hillsound's? I also read they get balled up with sticky snow pretty easily, any truth to that?

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:27 PM »

I have Baffin Sno Sport boots and there is no pressure at all on the top. Size 14 boots, 13 for my foot. In the past I was doing the sheet metal screws in the bottom of the boots. I am really kicking myself now no pun intended because the Kahtoolas are easy to put on, and the difference they have made this year is night and day. I should have pushed the 'buy' button on these a long time ago.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:15 PM »
Any issues with the chain links coming apart on the Hillsound's? I also read they get balled up with sticky snow pretty easily, any truth to that?
            I have had mine for over 3 years, the chains never had a problem with them, had them ball up when walking in 6" slush, but I think any will do that!  Never had them ball up otherwise!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Has anyone tried the Eagle Claw brand? They look almost identical to the Kahtoolas. I picked some up today but haven't tried them yet. At $19.99 I couldn't pass them up!

http://www.basspro.com/Eagle-Claw-Stainless-Steel-Chain-Ice-Cleats/product/2219985/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.