Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 7889 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:52 AM »
I like my Stabilicer Maxx's when it's glare ice. If there is a little bit of snow I will switch to my Kahtoola Micro Spikes.

Anything is better than going without.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:58 AM »
i don't have to worry about putting any thing extra on, just my boots. it's nice that way, and always protected.

Yak Trax are junk... Durability is nearly ZERO.  I went thru 2 pair with hardly any usage.
exactly!
rubber gets cut when a coil cracks and opens it up.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:08 AM »
kahtoolas microspikes.i would go 3300s route but I just cant bring myself to put screws in my mickeys yet.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Kahtoolas-- The wretched things are over $60 now but they're the best money you'll spend for the ice. Bought mine a few years back when they were $40. Last one's you'll ever need. Pass on to your grateful grandkids.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:35 AM »
DR.SPECKLER
it doesn't hurt them. in fact, they will last longer because the rubber is not making contact to the ground, the screws are and you can replace screws a lot easier than boots money wise. i have access to plenty of new size 11's cheap and buy them in lots of 3 pairs. i have one pair with nothing in them and three other pairs of boots with them in. just makes it so easy to be on always and comfortable to walk. they are not as tall as the micro spikes so they do clog up with packed wet snow easier or in different circumstances than the micro spikes, but placing the protection points right where you want them is key and i like them in the toes for pushing my weight forward as i walk and heels to catch that weight on ice. the normal areas are a must too, but having it in toes and heels is key and you can run and know there are screws always making contact when the boot is on ice. being not as tall also makes it easier to use them because you are only off the ground maybe 5/16 of an inch so you don't have to learn to walk differently. i don't like the discomfort the micro spikes made on my heels of my expensive cabelas pack boots and having to take them off to get into my dx3000 suit case shack and taking the extra time to get on and off the ice to install the micros spikes. also the heel chains gave me fits trying to get them to sit just right into the grooves of the heel.ice racing screws have all of those advantages over cramp-ons and are cheap and do come off if you don't want them on. key is to not strip out the hole the screw is making is all there is to it. i think i had the price figured out to be 8 cents per screw and i use about 30 per boot or 60 per pair makes them cost 4.80$ per pair and are hardened steel.
try them and you'll know. it's not expensive to find out and won't hurt the boots. take them back out if you don't like them or use both if you like cramp-on's. get the 3/8" kold kutters on amazon. they are 250 in a pack tho.
go to ebay or amazon and get the knock offs if you want cramp-ons of the micro spikes. i bought them for my wife and a friend. they work just the same and same materials used and only cost 10$. put that other 50$ into some thing else. and these come with the bag that micro spikes want to charge an extra 10$ for. so you would have 70$ into them with the bag. that's freakin crazy talk right there now. 70$ or 10$ for cramp-ons, hmm hard choice huh. still the screws are much more comfortable and always on.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:39 AM »
my yak tracks didn't even last ONE season! JUNK

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Another vote for the Kahtoola micro spikes here. Used to use yaktrax but got sick of them falling off the boot all the time.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:21 PM »
HIMO FYI the United States Postal Service does not receive any TAX dollars

my buddy used to work for the United States Postal Service. he is retired now but they use Stabilicers. when they would throw out pairs because of lost screws, he would bring them home and give them to me. I replaced the missing screws and was good to go. in my opinion, they are the best for icy conditions. what a waste of our tax dollars but I guess that gave me an indirect refund. LOL !!!

HIMO

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-facts/top-10-things-to-know.htm
Bud

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Kahtoola's for me, have tried several others and they don't measure up to the kahtoola's.  My second fav was a pair of sandal style that had cordura material over the toe area and around the heel and both were secured with Velcro...these used a golf spike that was sharped.  I used these for prolly about 15 years before started falling apart.  I than went to kahtoola's.  Two years ago I had one of the kahtoola's tear and the company sent me a free replacement and returned the others...excellent customer service!
]

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2015, 01:35 PM »
I wonder if all the Yax Trax users are talking about the coil spring version. I have used Yax Trax Extremes that have the triangular crampon like teeth. I eventually wore the points off the teeth yet they still grip the ice. I put a new pair on my Cabela's Predators last season and I gave the 4 year old ones to the neighbor kid. They really chew up the ice, a little loud actually, but never slip.

Duke

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I wonder if all the Yax Trax users are talking about the coil spring version. I have used Yax Trax Extremes that have the triangular crampon like teeth. I eventually wore the points off the teeth yet they still grip the ice. I put a new pair on my Cabela's Predators last season and I gave the 4 year old ones to the neighbor kid. They really chew up the ice, a little loud actually, but never slip.

Duke
I am referring to the "spring" type. junk

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Micro spikes are the way to go ...I have used the Stablicers for many years ...great traction but noted the Velcro can get iced up and they can "blow out" ..your walking like the Frankenstein monster ...after three hard days of fishing my back would ache . The Micros are very flexible and my back loves me for it ..I had a size medium on my Baffin Crossfire size 10  and  my Lacrosse size 11 ..they stretched just fine onto/off the boots...I now have Large  size Micros ... much better as far as on and off the boot.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Anybody ever tried adding sheetmetal screww to muck boots
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I put sheet metal screws in my pack boots. Loved it...at first before long all the screws froze to ice and pulled out

Offline scooter1112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:37 PM »
i have been using icetrekkers diamond grip and i like them a lot. they seem to be durable and i can leave them on and drive the truck.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Anyone own a pair of Kahtoola nano spikes? I like the lower profile, but not sure if they would fit over a boot.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:42 AM »
Anyone own a pair of Kahtoola nano spikes? I like the lower profile, but not sure if they would fit over a boot.
I didn't even know those existed until your post, but the best thing about the micro spikes is that the rubber isn't very stretched once they are on the boot and that its all metal coming in contact with the hard surfaces. The nano's look much beefier than other products but I would worry about the rubber along the sides. Would be nice if they had a variant of the micro spikes that had shorter teeth

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Used Stabilicers for years-- like others stated the velcro straps ice up in slush and won't  secure. Once screws start falling out it's  an neverending replacement. Even tried epoxing them in;  Nope.

Wife bought me a pair of the newest Kathoolas for $45 sale (which has since ended). Looking forward  to some real traction on ice.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #48 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:17 PM »
I've been using Stabilicers for about 4 years now and love them...

I agree.  Used the Yaktrax Pros and nearly busted the back of my head towing my shanty out when they packed up with a couple inches of powder snow on top of glare ice.  I literally saw a firework show in the predawn light, and my innards didn't feel right for several days.  Thank God I had a stocking cap on and my hood up that helped cushion the blow.

Have used the Stabilicers for years over my Mickey Mouse boots and haven't had a problem.  Don't know about the Kahtoola's.  One thing to keep in mind, you can put ice climber crampons on to prevent slipping, but having your feet into the ice that much can be bad on knees, etc.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I did the sheet metal screws in a pair of boots for a couple of years, it works, but where I had issues was a new light snow that packed on the boots. Also they do come out and it is a bit of a hassle changing shoes at the lake. That and I did go airborne a couple of times. So, this year I upgraded to the micro skips. I am little worried about the plastic but the business end of the set up looks to be very effective. That, and now can wear one pair of boots to the lake. Just need ice now.

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2015, 10:57 AM »
If anybody is interested Bass Pro has the Kahtoola microspikes for $54.97 with Free Shipping.

Offline CRMAC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for the good info. I too am in the market.  Never used them as a teenager.  I'm a bit older now and those falls on the ice weren't fun then...

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:27 PM »
The first time I saw them at REI I thought they were to much, but the more I thought about it more hardware under foot is better. We'll see how it goes on the easy on and off but it does look promising.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2015, 02:06 PM »
Made my own ICE CLEATS that met my criteria: Durable, Easy to Install & Take off... and Cheap.  I made them with stuff around the garage.  The base was 3/8" Rubber from and old Semi-Truck Mud Flap

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2015, 03:29 PM »
korkers work great. i've had mine for 30+ yrs. changed the laces once. work great on the ice or on the jetty.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Kahtoola Micro spikes are what I prefer.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 19, 2015, 04:04 PM »

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2015, 12:52 PM »
These are way more durable than The standard sheet rock screws.
http://goat-head-gear.myshopify.com/pages/ice-fishing

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Has anyone tried these.. A little pricey but they look like there worth it...
   http://www.mycoolingstore.com/hillsound.html?gclid=CMXClvKS8MkCFVCQHwodvTcJZQ
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.