Author Topic: Marine battery and windshield wiper?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline mebes76

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just give the man a fish!
Marine battery and windshield wiper?
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 12:43 AM »
Has anyone ever assembled a device with an automobile windshield wiper connected to a marine battery.  I'm told you attach a rod and a string of old spoons together to use to attract fish to the area, then jig close by with your regular rod.  Apparently it is a good way to attract kokanee?
Give me a fish and feed me for a day.  Teach me how to fish and I'll never stop asking you questions on how to do it better. Thanks for your help.  Call you tomorrow?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Marine battery and windshield wiper?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:12 AM »
Check your local regulations, mebes.    I feel the need for that caution, not knowing your "Location".  It's OK if you complete your profile with that.     ;)2

Google 'autojigger' for a few ideas.

Show us what you build.         :thumbsup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:33 AM »
All you need is...............

Should be good ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:46 AM »
They already make a similar device that takes standard batteries.
They even sell a device for it with a bunch of reflective smile blades on it all in a row as an attractor.
It's called the EZ jigger got one as a gift years ago.
It has an external plastic gear that gives different jigging actions depending on which gear you put on it.
Put your rod in it and it jigs it for you. Has a strike alarm also.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:03 AM »
Of course you could make one.  In fact, just rig it with a quick release from a down rigger.  Then you could get a jaw jacker set up in tandum to hold your rod for you.  Your line would jig automatically until a fish strike.  The strike would release the line from the quick release auto jigger and then trigger the jaw jacker.  The jaw jacker would set the hook for you and then all you would need to do is find someone to reel it in for you. Hahahaha
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:13 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

We bad !

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I have built several out of windshield wiper motors and blade arms. Almost everyone in Colorado was using some sort for attracting Kokanee. I can tell you from years of experience that they work fantastic. I had a short string of cowbells ( pop gear) on mine. If you want to PM me I can give you details on how to build a compact efficient rig that will jig the flashers all day. Never needed that on Kokes as it brings them in and holds them around usually long enough to limit.

Offline mebes76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
@arcticaddict... hehe.  I do own a jawjacker.

@kasilofchrisn... EZjigger is actually legit.  It's on sale at Cabela's.  Anyone use it before?

@rgfixit... Not sure I could get the duct tape down to the koke's.  It smell's like it might be an attractant all by itself.  It would be like sticky pad's for insects/mice, but for fish.
Give me a fish and feed me for a day.  Teach me how to fish and I'll never stop asking you questions on how to do it better. Thanks for your help.  Call you tomorrow?

Offline mebes76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Oops, responded too quick.  I guess the EZ-jigger is not for sale anymore.  Any other products out there?  Or do I really need to make one?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Gotta love ice fishers...if theses a will there's a way ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Oops, responded too quick.  I guess the EZ-jigger is not for sale anymore.  Any other products out there?  Or do I really need to make one?

Yup.    Make a bunch.

Then join the Militia and put 'em up for sale.   

Click it >  Join now.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:28 AM »
you know, i bet you could make a similar device to auto-jig for perch or bluegill... a rod holder, a small motor, and a little wheel with an arm that just tilts your rod up a few inches then drops it back down. much more subtle to mimic the tiny critters that panfish eat.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:21 AM »
you know, i bet you could make a similar device to auto-jig for perch or bluegill... a rod holder, a small motor, and a little wheel with an arm that just tilts your rod up a few inches then drops it back down. much more subtle to mimic the tiny critters that panfish eat.

I thought about making one with my elec pencil sharpener but it revolves too fast and I couldn't be bothered gearing it down.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:48 PM »
i would say a disco ball motor would be perfect. no doubt you could find one with a bit of looking.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:26 PM »
If the ice is good enough,drive your vehicle onto the ice,drill a hole on each side of the vehicle,fasten your line to each wiper,and jig away from the comfort of your car/truck.Check your game laws,if you are allowed three lines,and you have a rear wiper,bam! Three jigging lines,sweet! ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:11 PM »
If the ice is good enough,drive your vehicle onto the ice,drill a hole on each side of the vehicle,fasten your line to each wiper,and jig away from the comfort of your car/truck.Check your game laws,if you are allowed three lines,and you have a rear wiper,bam! Three jigging lines,sweet! ;D

By gum, that'll work with a Subaru wagon.     ;)2    :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Lot of humor here on jigging machines. Guessing those guys have never been hard core kokanee fisherman. Anyone serious about this subject and wants help building one you can pm me for help. I like the humor but like canned kokes a lot more. :)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:25 PM »
i would say a disco ball motor would be perfect. no doubt you could find one with a bit of looking.
That would be 120V I would assume.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:36 PM »
SIRCRANK...... no this is run on a lawn tractor ( riding mower) 12 volt battery. the motor is a  windshield wiper motor. We use it to jig cowbells ( pop gear) up and down to bring in and hold kokanee. Believe me it works great. Never have used it to jig to catch fish and never will. Love the feel of the strike too much for that.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:09 PM »
@kasilofchrisn... EZjigger is actually legit.  It's on sale at Cabela's.  Anyone use it before?
I do own one received as a gift.
I only tried it as a jigging rod holder. I did catch a fish using it but it isn't something I even bring out with me anymore.
I did buy the attractor they made for it but never have got around to trying it out.
It is nice in that you can switch out the plastic gear to get a different jigging action.
Mine came with a couple of different gears and a blank gear that could be carved (I'm assuming with a dremel tool) to create your own jigging action.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.