Author Topic: My Homemade Quick Strike Rigs  (Read 26348 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
My Homemade Quick Strike Rigs
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:38 AM »
Here is how I make my quick strike rigs.  I have been using Berkley 20# and 30# steel leader material , but I was told I was getting some Malin Boa No-Kink for Christmas so I will switch over to it.

I cut a piece of leader 19"-20" long:

I pass the leader through the crimp, then the swivel, then back thought the crimp, then loop it back through the crimp, this gives it more mass to crimp on:

Pull everything tight and crimp it:

Here is the beads, clevis, and spoon I will be using:

The beads ensure that the clevis/spoon combo will spin well.   Slip a bead/s on the leader, then the clevis/spoon combo, then a bead/s:

Run the leader through a crimp, then through a hook, then back through the crimp:

Adjust the crimp and hook so it is 6-7 inches from the bare end of the steel leader.  Pull the loop tight leaving just enough room to get your crimping tool through the loop and crimp tight:

Run the leader through a crimp, then a hook, back through the crimp, then double back through the crimp one more time(just as you did on the swivel end):

Pull everything tight and crimp the crimp tight:

I put a slip shot about 2"-3" from the middle hookfor weight and also to keep the beads and spoon up out of the bait:

You are all done, now time to go catch some pike:

I sometimes make them with the middle hook adjustable I do this with small heat shrink tubing.  I first run the leader through a short piece of heat shrink tubing, then through the eye of the hook:

Slide the heat shrink tubing onto the shank of the hook:

Heat the shrink tubing until it is tight on the hook and leader.  I normally slide the hook onto the last inch or two of the leader, as the coating often melts from the heat of the match, then I can slide the hook up the leader and snip off the last inch with the melted coating before putting on the end hook:

I hook the middle hook by the dorsal fin and the end hook up by the head.  I have used these with both live and dead baits.  I have also made these with 30# monofilament line instead of steel leader to work better with smaller(2"-3") live minnows.

Hope this helps!!
Darkhouse

Offline hagstah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you can't take winter, you dont deserve summer!
Re: My Homemade Quick Strike Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Wow darkhouse,
                    Thanks for the great info and pictorial, so precise and clear. All the discussions on here in the past about Quickstrike rigs, and this articl :clap:e nails it down! :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:17 PM »
One thing to try on one of your setups, leave the middle hook free, with no crimp or sleeve. This style is deadly using smelt for bait. The middle hook adjusts to any size bait ,plus the bait levels itself.

Thats how I usually make them when I use 30# monofilament instead of steel leader.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Do we need the dirty fingernail, as shown in pic two, to make the proper quick strike rig? :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot:

Those fingers get dirty from working for a living, not sleeping like you lazy State Workers. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;)2

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:25 PM »
can't wait to build some of my own  nice pics and discriptions I really appriciate it

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 11:08 PM »
Those fingers get dirty from working for a living, not sleeping like you lazy State Workers. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;)2

The dirt and grime acts like a fishrepellant if it has the right ingredients.LOL or if it`s a really good mixture it knocks em sensless then Ya do`nt even have to use the spear,just grab em when they floats to the surface.LOL
Dad

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline fishalot2day

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:29 AM »
great post will try it and let you know how it works

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:20 PM »
thats awesome! looks like a lot of work but well worth it  ;)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:33 AM »
thats awesome! looks like a lot of work but well worth it  ;)

You would be surprised how fast and easy they are to build after you have built a few of them.  It only takes 2-3 minutes tops to build one.  :)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:46 PM »
 Great info,darkhousefisher.  I learned a new trick.  Passing the tag end of the leader through the sleeve twice, is a great idea!   Thank You!    ;D

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:28 AM »
I've been using them for a couple years now and they work great.  My bottom hook, I usaully hook through the suckers upper lip and the back one through the back under the top fin.

Since it appears that the pike usaully take the bait head first, I most often find the size 6 trebil in the pikes stomach.  Therefore I make several rigs so that I can leave the one in the fish to recover later when I clean him and just snap another new one on ready for bait.

You can usaully recover the dead sucker and use him again later if you freeze him.

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:37 PM »
I just made a few of these and they were a snap to make.  It cost me 18.00 for everything and I made 6 rigs and have enough for 5 more. I cant wait to try them next weekend.

Thanks again,
Mack

Offline sdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:08 PM »
they look like nice rigs.  what size spinners do you use?

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 PM »
they look like nice rigs.  what size spinners do you use?

I use a variety of sizes and colors.

Offline z714x4play

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:53 PM »
what kind of shrink tubing did you use, and where did you get it. I havet ben able to find any
YOU MIGHT BE FROM MICHIGAN IF...
1. if you define summer as 3 months of bad sledding.
2. if you've ever experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
3. if your favorite holiday's are Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the first day of deer season

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:59 PM »
what kind of shrink tubing did you use, and where did you get it. I havet ben able to find any

I think I got it at the local Ace Hardware.  It was the smallest size they had.  When I get home this weekend, I'll see if I still have the packaging for it.

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures and description.  This may be a dumb question, but how does the spinner work?  Do you have to jig these rigs? Or do you use them on a tip-up and the minnows create enough movement for the spinner to work?  What size minnows do you usually use?  Thanks

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures and description.  This may be a dumb question, but how does the spinner work?  Do you have to jig these rigs? Or do you use them on a tip-up and the minnows create enough movement for the spinner to work?  What size minnows do you usually use?  Thanks

Live minnows create a good movement for the spoons.  When I check my tip-ups(every 20 minutes or so) I jig the line, this helps also.  I have had really good success with these rigs fished under a windlass tip-up which provides the jigging action.  I like to use large baits for pike, 8" and longer, the bigger the better.

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Thankyou for the great description. Which way do you face the hooks when you hook the bait? Another picture would be awesome

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2008, 05:49 PM »
What is the crimp and where can you get them

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:54 PM »
thanks for idea.  the pictures are great help.

:icefish:

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:16 PM »
I make mine just like the second one you make,that sides for the size of the bait.I've never added the blades but does look interesting.Its rare to miss a pike on this rig,only had one come unbuttoned in the last 7 years on the quick rig.

Offline heiner39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:11 PM »
You'll have to pardon my ignorance...I'm new to this stuff!  What do you crimp the crimp sleeve with?  Is it as simple as squishing it with a set of pliers?  Looks great!!

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:15 PM »
You'll have to pardon my ignorance...I'm new to this stuff!  What do you crimp the crimp sleeve with?  Is it as simple as squishing it with a set of pliers?  Looks great!!

I use my Rapala Fishermans Pliers, they have a notch in them for crimping.  There are also crimping tools for the crimping sleeves, but a regular pair of pliers would work just fine. 

Offline heiner39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Thanks darkhousefisher...I think I'm going to give it a try. 

What is the best material to use for the leader?  I don't think I'm going to use fluoro (I know huge debate over this one)....going to stick with steel or titanium but just curious as to what is preferred.  I am looking for something that doesn't bend/kink easily. 

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Thanks darkhousefisher...I think I'm going to give it a try. 

What is the best material to use for the leader?  I don't think I'm going to use fluoro (I know huge debate over this one)....going to stick with steel or titanium but just curious as to what is preferred.  I am looking for something that doesn't bend/kink easily. 

I don't know what the best material is, but I use Berkley leader material in 20# and 30# test.  The reason I use Berkley is it is very redily available.  Berkley kinks easily, but if I have one that gets too kinked, I cut the hooks and blades off and reuse them to make another.  If I am fishing a lake w/ wire shy pike and/or a lot of hammerhandles I use 30# mono.  When I use mono I use polomar knots and tie the middle hook 4"-5" from the end hook.  I'm sure there are better methods of making quick strike rigs, but this has always worked for me.  Hope this helps. 

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, Darkhouse!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Good for you man!!! That was a pretty rude question from him. You were showing us how you do something and possibly helping someone out and there is always one smart a$$.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Good for you man!!! That was a pretty rude question from him. You were showing us how you do something and possibly helping someone out and there is always one smart a$$.

It didn't bother me...... that "smart a$$" is my brother.  Of course you'd never guess it though, I'm wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaa aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better looking than he is, hehehe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.