Author Topic: Found an old picture  (Read 2537 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Found an old picture
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I have a picture of me holding this pike, but I didn't know this particular photo still existed. It is a few years old, and really started me off on by hunt for giant pike. This one is not too big, but at a thin 36" and around 8 or 9 pounds, it was the biggest to date. The best part is that bass was the bait. That is about a 16" or 17" bass around 3 pounds. I had gotten off of work and had about an hour and a half until sunset and a bucket of shiners from a previous trip. All I did was set out 2 tip ups and sat in my truck reading a magazine. Less than 15 minutes later the shallow tip up flag went up. I set the hook, but it felt like I was pulling in weeds. Eventually I turned the fish up the hole and saw a bass. Around it was a huge pike mouth holding onto its dinner. At the last minute the pike let go, but it couldn't turn around in the hole. I just side swiped its body with my hand and drug it out of the hole. The pike was never even hooked. This is the picture I took moments later. You can't use a bait too big for pike.

-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Found an old picture
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Dang, beauties !    :clap:

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Thats awesome.  I agree on the big bait.  A few years ago I had a huge sucker that was maybe 2#+.  I put it on a quick strike rig.  I caught my limit of pike that were never hooked.  My hooks were front and back and the pike would grab it crossways in the middle.  Missed several.  But if I could ease them to the hole  I could grab them and put em on the ice.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Thats awesome.  I agree on the big bait.  A few years ago I had a huge sucker that was maybe 2#+.  I put it on a quick strike rig.  I caught my limit of pike that were never hooked.  My hooks were front and back and the pike would grab it crossways in the middle.  Missed several.  But if I could ease them to the hole  I could grab them and put em on the ice.

I always put the rear treble on the side of the bait to help with this problem. Also, the bigger the bait, the bigger my treble hooks.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:35 PM »
This picture was kind of before I got into quickstrike rigs. I had been making a few, but the the MN laws were weird back then. I just had a big kahle hook on that day. It wouldn't have mattered anyway.
-Tom

Offline mickeyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Nice fish.  Jealous.. .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.