New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 29 days to trout season  (Read 4105 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
29 days to trout season
« on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:02 PM »
 i'm counting down the days till trout season  ;D

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 29 days to trout season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:04 PM »
I tried trout fishing for the first time last year.

I had a decent time walking around in some streams but never found a fish (Jefferson county).

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:06 PM »
Where do you go Trap? I hit Nine Mile, Skaneatles and Carpenters brook.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:47 PM »
kracken  we  most  fish  side  by side a  few times  i'lll  send  you a  pm later

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:12 PM »
all year is trout season here

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Yeah I know a few places in ny where trout seasons all year...

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I don't get the need for a trout season in NY.  They let you fish during the spawn for steelheads and kings, etc. whats the points of a closed season if you aren't going to do it to protect spawning fish.  They got rid of it in MA a while ago, granted NY's trout fishing blows MA's away so maybe theres a method to the madness.
westernmas on the finder

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:06 PM »
all year is trout season here

lake ontario tribs too

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:11 PM »
I don't get the need for a trout season in NY.  They let you fish during the spawn for steelheads and kings, etc. whats the points of a closed season if you aren't going to do it to protect spawning fish.  They got rid of it in MA a while ago, granted NY's trout fishing blows MA's away so maybe theres a method to the madness.

pacific salmon die after the spawn  we want out of staters to take them home before they stink our  waters up

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:42 AM »
i don't know about bass, but  trout season is longer then it was when i was a child ....and i look forward to the opening sort of a magical  day like  christmas   when your a kid ......it's also like the black friday  for a lot of bait shops and  tackle stores in  my area

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:46 AM »
i don't know about bass, but  trout season is longer then it was when i was a child ....and i look forward to the opening sort of a magical  day like  christmas   when your a kid ......it's also like the black friday  for a lot of bait shops and  tackle stores in  my area
Like the Black Friday lines on some streams also I usually will go out the next couple days let’s the dumber stockers get harvested up I usually avoid opening day for that exact season those pellet boys don’t have my respect lol

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Like the Black Friday lines on some streams also I usually will go out the next couple days let’s the dumber stockers get harvested up I usually avoid opening day for that exact season those pellet boys don’t have my respect lol

That's exactly how it is in CT.  Everyone is so eager to get out on opening day it makes it a mob scene.  No one likes fishing in that nonsense and most people will only put up with it for a chance at a huge king or a 50lb striper at the canal.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:23 AM »
That's exactly how it is in CT.  Everyone is so eager to get out on opening day it makes it a mob scene.  No one likes fishing in that nonsense and most people will only put up with it for a chance at a huge king or a 50lb striper at the canal.

Completely disagree with you Pat, which is unusual but it happens. Like Trap I grew up fishing opening days and man I could never sleep the night before...it is magical.  Sure there are crowds but it never stopped me, my dad and my brother from going.  As we got older we started going earlier and earlier to grab a spot and wait for sunrise.  Now I still fish the opener but always take the Friday before off to educate fish in my favorite pools in the TMA's (which our state had many) that are open year round...

Actually you and I need to connect because the stretch we fished last year when I was killing it has some fresh pellet heads as of last week.  They need to be wised up.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I started counting at 65!But I  avoid the first day, too many idiots out there. Being retired now I fish all week and take off the weekends .

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Completely disagree with you Pat, which is unusual but it happens. Like Trap I grew up fishing opening days and man I could never sleep the night before...it is magical.  Sure there are crowds but it never stopped me, my dad and my brother from going.  As we got older we started going earlier and earlier to grab a spot and wait for sunrise.  Now I still fish the opener but always take the Friday before off to educate fish in my favorite pools in the TMA's (which our state had many) that are open year round...

Actually you and I need to connect because the stretch we fished last year when I was killing it has some fresh pellet heads as of last week.  They need to be wised up.

Sounds like nostalgia.  Out of anyone I feel you avoid crowds like the plague (or covid should prob be the saying now).  I'm itching to hit the river but unlike you I haven't really put anything of any size on the ice this year so I'm still focusing my attention there.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:00 AM »
Sounds like nostalgia.  Out of anyone I feel you avoid crowds like the plague (or covid should prob be the saying now).  I'm itching to hit the river but unlike you I haven't really put anything of any size on the ice this year so I'm still focusing my attention there.

I tend to enjoy many libations on that day. The crowds tend not to be an issue.  But ya total nostalgia.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2021, 12:04 PM »
i'm counting down the days till trout season  ;D

I can't wait Trap! Although, I will be out on a few sections that are year round before the mass crowds show up April 1.

I'm in that transition period now, do you grab the fly rod on the warm days or try to ice a few lakers before the ice is gone?
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Both Nate!  I never made it up that way but found them south.  Thanks for the heads up.  Much appreciated.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Pellet Heads? People who just fill up on the easy fresh stocked fish, or are they actually using pellets?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:01 PM »
I used to love it when my dad was still around - he was a really good crick fisherman.  We even used to go BEFORE work or take the day off ..... now that he's gone I find I get stuck on branches and lose to much tackle and its not as much fun -  :)

when i'm trout fishing or trapping i feel my pop right next to me .....i can't fish a stream and not smile thinking of him  hear his laughing   lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Pellet Heads? People who just fill up on the easy fresh stocked fish, or are they actually using pellets?

who cares everyone  yelled till the dec let them fish for bass on the beds

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:15 PM »

Nickname for stocked trout...they are fed pellets in the hatchery.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:50 PM »

One of my haunts gets its first fish tnrw and can fish it all year can’t keep until opener tho!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:51 PM »
when i'm trout fishing or trapping i feel my pop right next to me .....i can't fish a stream and not smile thinking of him  hear his laughing   lol
   My trout fishing is limited to a few isolated streams in the dacks.  I know dad is there some where sayin ... stay in the shadows dummy !
   As for opening day,  y'all can have it   too much snow and ice where I go

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:15 PM »
Nickname for stocked trout...they are fed pellets in the hatchery.

Ive got a few "pellet flies" that are essentially indicators with hooks.  Sadly I've caught a few on the swift using them.  I've really got to be frustrated to pull them out of the box lol.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Adimariano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:06 PM »
New regulations going into effect on the 1st. Harvest regulations are dependent on the stream category. Also permits a catch and release season during the off-season.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/111015.html

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I have not missed opening day since I was 9 years old. My dad always made sure I got out, even though he was not much of a trout fisher. I've gone with the same 3 other guys for the last 29 years, to multiple locations that are not stocked. If you go to those streams crowds are never a problem. We have fished years where we had to wear snowshoes just to get back into our spots, its always a great time and one of my favorite shore lunches. Plus it makes me take the day off, so I don't have to put up with those stupid jokes for the day at work.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Speak of the devil, CT moved up their trout opener by executive order to yesterday to help alleviate some of the crowding issues experienced on opening day.
westernmas on the finder

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Both Nate!  I never made it up that way but found them south.  Thanks for the heads up.  Much appreciated.

I'm headed up there tomorrow for what could be my last trip for lakers there (ice opened up where I was last weekend). These 50+ degree days forecasted for next week have me thinking of fat river browns on the fly!
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2021, 04:39 AM »
got a new pair of waders  getting my  fly jacket ready  every thing  full and in place   tied about  50 bead head pheasant tails  hares ears  and   stone fly nymphs  and my classic favorite a weighted muddler minnow.....i'll have a  few adams and  olives with me too just  in case some thing crazy happens.........it's like being a kid waiting for christmas morning i'm telling you  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.