Author Topic: Catawba near the Miller Line/ Mouse Island  (Read 1914 times)

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
Catawba near the Miller Line/ Mouse Island
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:56 AM »
First let me say this is just MY opinion. Wednesday I drove around to see if and where people were accessing the ice. I was absolutely astounded watching a couple of groups, and one fella alone, jumping on the ice in this area. Imho this THE MOST DANGEROUS AREA in the P.C. area under our current conditions. There were many open holes formed after the last warm up and blow. Then they skimmed over and got a fresh covering of snow. The BIG problem with this area is the heavy current. Not only does it make fishing difficult but if you go in you're not coming back up. At least a couple of these guys had float suits but that won't make a difference if the current pushes you under the ice. There are better and much safer places to jump on than this area.

The two quads that went through off Catawba were friends of mine. They checked the ice carefully going out but didn't follow his gps trail coming back, BIG mistake!!! After moving several times and having 10"-12" everywhere they checked, they drove over a skimmed over spot of 2" with a fresh snow cover while taking a direct line back to the ramp. The second quad was following too close and went in right behind the first. Thank God everybody is alright but it could have ended VERY badly. I'm hoping we get another cold snap to button things up, but in the meantime, use you head and your spud. I'm fishing inland today.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catawba near the Miller Line/ Mouse Island
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:00 PM »
We launched off the ferry dock fri. That was the first time I have ever launched there but ice was good were we accessed it. We swung out west then back east to make a wide loop around mouse. The Snowmoble  that left right after us pulling a perm. Took off dead east between the dock and mouse. Crazy!  I wouldnt of rode where he was for $100 bill. The first time we were out this year Jan 5 I also saw people head straight north out of the state park and ride. Parallel to the cliffs. Mark :tipup:

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I might fish from the island this week but that's it...If you go out from any place on shore your takin a huge risk....

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:53 PM »
6 of us just came off the ice with 35 eyes and 12 perch. Great day, but not off the mainland for me.

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Sounds to me like that was a good day of fishing , how was the ice?

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Any new reports boys ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.