Author Topic: Cracking Ice Sound  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Willy Q

• IceShanty Rookie
Cracking Ice Sound
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Hoping some of you seasoned pros might be able to give some insight on this. When I was out on Sunday morning  I heard a lot of cracking. A buddy was out on Lake H today and he heard a lot of cracking too. Is the cracking sound ice being made, ice breaking apart, or something else?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Cracking Ice Sound
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:58 PM »
What was the temp at the time? Buddy went out with temps around 40 the other day, wind was howling and ice was moving, cracking and popping, he thought was making ice!! Wrong , wind moving ice and cracks going all way across lake with water coming up !!

Offline pickerelpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Here in New Jersey the cracking sound is most likely from the ice expanding as it warms. It was in the teens Sunday morning and low twenties this morning.  I was on LH today and saw and heard some cracks form when we cut some holes.  The cracks would fill quickly with water and refreeze. Not much to worry about with temps below freezing.  Be observant and careful while you are learning to read the ice. 

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Most likely the ice was expanding from the sun or contracting when the clouds covered it up. was out on aeroflex on sat and it was noisy as hell with the in and out of the sun.  Really gets the heart rate up when a crack forms under your feet. Remember there is no safe ice. Be safe and use the buddy system.

Offline Lackawanna Larry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:11 AM »
i was on 8+ inches of ice one day and it was crackin all over.  I sorta got used to it after a couple hours and then one of the cracks shot right through between my feet.  I jumped like a cat and my buddy laughed his ass off. 

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:19 AM »
Ice expands as it freezes and it was below freezing Saturday night into Sunday. As the ice expands pressure builds up and it usually starts popping when the sun starts hitting it.

Offline flyknot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:45 PM »
 I have the DISPLEASRE of falling threw the ice TWICE . I will NEVER go out without my ice spikes around my neck  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline BZotynia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:57 PM »
With more rain and warn weather coming this weekend...
season might be coming to a end.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:26 PM »
That may be the sad reality if it keeps raining. Sucks

Offline Muskytracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I noticed the ice cracking more than ever yesterday.  The water level dropped about 2 inches from the morning to the afternoon, i guess from all the rain.  The fishing was also pretty slow.  Do you guys think the ice cracking affects the fishing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.